Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

UK
Storm Arwen: Customers set to spend third night at Britain's highest pub
Published1 day ago

The Tan Hill Inn is known for getting cut off in heavy snowfall because of its location

Dozens of customers at Britain's highest pub are set to spend a third night trapped by heavy snowfall brought by Storm Arwen.

Guests got stuck at the Tan Hill Inn, in the Yorkshire Dales, on Friday after going to watch an Oasis tribute band.

They are unable to leave because nearby roads are not useable partly due to fallen power cables.

Manager Nicola Townsend said everyone was in good spirits and that some people did not want leave.

Guests at the inn, which is 1,732ft (528m) above sea level, woke up to about 3ft (0.9m) of snow on Saturday, with it going all the way up near to the bedroom windows.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-yor ... e-59446663

ETA. the snow plow reahed the location.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:o
Blizzard warning issued for Hawaii with at least 12 inches of snow forecast
Wind gusts over 100 mph are also anticipated on the Big Island.

ByMeredith Deliso
3 December 2021, 21:20

A blizzard warning has been issued for Hawaii, with at least 12 inches of snow forecast this weekend.

The warning is in effect for the Big Island summits from 6 p.m. Friday through 6 a.m. Sunday local time.

In addition to blizzard conditions, wind gusts over 100 mph are also expected, according to the alert issued by National Weather Service Honolulu.

"Travel could be very difficult to impossible," the alert said. "Blowing snow will significantly reduce visibility at times, with periods of zero visibility."

"The strong winds will likely cause significant drifting of snow," it added.

A blizzard warning for tropical Hawaii may come as a surprise, but snow is not uncommon; the summits of the Big Island's Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa volcanoes reach nearly 14,000 feet in elevation.

A flood watch has been also issued for all Hawaiian islands through Monday afternoon, as a prolonged period of heavy rainfall is anticipated over the weekend.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/blizzard-warn ... d=81542659
notorial dissent

Post by notorial dissent »

The summits do get snow, at 14,000 no great surprise, but a foot of snow is a bit out there. They're actin like it doesn't normally snow in Hawaii which simply isn't true, it's just that the snow is limited to certain places.
Lani

Post by Lani »

It's not a big deal. Snow happens. I lived there for years & we'd loved snowballs and snowmen.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Ok, this weather problem needs to end :cussing:
The National Weather Service reported temperatures at 56 degrees in Honolulu, setting a new record. The lowest temperature previously reported in that area was 59 degrees in 1962.

Furthermore, Honolulu barely made it up to 70 degrees, which is a record for low day time temperatures. The previous record was set back in 1965 when temperatures only warmed up to 76 degrees.

Low day time temperatures were also seen in Hilo, which recorded a low of 71 degrees. The lowest temperature previously recorded was 74 degrees in 1961.
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/12/0 ... peratures/

Last night it was 59 where I live. Slept with socks, flannel pj's, AND a full length bathrobe. Plus 2 blankets. Needed more blankets, but I only have 2. Meanwhile, the blizzards continue on the Big Island.

And just for fun, FLOOD WATCH through Tuesday for all islands, and periods of extremely heavy rainfall are expected through Wednesday on Kauai. Flooding is likely. I guess I need to pick up a bottle of wine tomorrow.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:38 am Last night it was 59 where I live. Slept with socks, flannel pj's, AND a full length bathrobe. Plus 2 blankets. Needed more blankets, but I only have 2. Meanwhile, the blizzards continue on the Big Island.

And just for fun, FLOOD WATCH through Tuesday for all islands, and periods of extremely heavy rainfall are expected through Wednesday on Kauai. Flooding is likely. I guess I need to pick up a bottle of wine tomorrow.
YIKES!!

I'm in the midwest, so 59 is actually a fairly comfortable sleeping temperature, but when you're used to a place being much warmer, I can imagine it'd be pretty bad. I hope it warms up again for you soon!!
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

pictures or it didn't happen...

Lani

Post by Lani »

The thunderstorms are making their march through islands. The Big Island is under a flash flood warning. Maui will be next.

It's raining on my island now. I thought I had Monday to finish up getting things I need. Oh, well. Also getting notices from our emergency management team. Just got a County notice to management about letting employees work from home, if possible, for the next few days.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We went up to the Observatory on a late March day and got chased off by a snowstorm,
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

Maui is being hit now, but more to come tomorrow. Flooded houses, cars washed away on the south shore, power outages. Apparently, there is some flooding up mauka and several closed roads - part of one was washed away. Overnight & tomorrow will be worse for Maui. Shelters have opened.

Maui & Big Island airports are closed.

The Big Island will have upwards of 25 inches of rain in some areas. Trees are being blown down, and there are power outages. Don't see anything about flooding yet. The County just told the public to minimize toilet flushing, bathing, and using washers and dishwashers through Wednesday, so something is going on.

Oahu is having a lot of rain, but no flooding reporting yet.

Oops, breaking news! Severe conditions on the Big Island & Maui will continue to Wednesday. (Which means Kauai will rain all week. Argh.) Oahu low elevation neighborhoods are already experiencing problems, and shelters are opening. The storm is moving slowly and gathering more moisture.

Sadly, this is happening just before Pearl Harbor Day, which is a big deal here. The very few last living veterans will be here, some with 24/7 nursing support. I hope things go well for them.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Lani wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:40 am
The Big Island will have upwards of 25 inches of rain in some areas. Trees are being blown down, and there are power outages.
:shock: Dang. Stay safe. :bighug:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yikes. I agree. Stay safe!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

The temperature has been dropping since yesterday's high of 38°. It's now at the airport with a northwest wind at 25mph, gusting to 41mph. :eek: I've decided that my errands can all wait a couple of days until it will be back in the 20s.
filly

Post by filly »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:49 am The temperature has been dropping since yesterday's high of 38°. It's now at the airport with a northwest wind at 25mph, gusting to 41mph. :eek: I've decided that my errands can all wait a couple of days until it will be back in the 20s.
Good luck. We escaped the upper Midwest on Friday and are back enjoying mild temps and actual sunlight! Sure there's rampant crime and misogyny but we are not freezing (for now). Seriously, good luck, I feel your pain.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That front is coming through here this afternoon. It has been in the 50s for a few days and raining all night last night, but the rain's going to stop soon and the temperature will be about 27 degrees by midnight. But it's going up again after a few days. Maybe a little snow Wednesday morning first. And I have to go out this afternoon just as the rain ends and the temps drop and the winds pick up.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Hay, isn't it illegal to have weather disasters in Hawaii? :shock:

I am reporting darkness.

On this day according to my weather app, we are enjoying 9:48 hours and minutes of daylight. A little simple math (Narrator: Foogie sucks at math) reveals that we're suffering FOURTEEN HOURS AND TWELVE MINUTES OF DARKNESS.

That's ... well, that's more than 4 hours longer of darkness. Every dang day.

Eerie, scary, dangerous, poorly-lit darkness, when you don't have enough light to see. It's even worse for people like MN-Skeptic and jemcanada and GreatGrey, marooned up there in the Artic Circle.

And it's going to get worse here before it gets any better. The winter equinox is still WEEKS away.

I'm probably shrinking from lack of sunlight and warmth. :oldman:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Foggy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:50 pm Eerie, scary, dangerous, poorly-lit darkness, when you don't have enough light to see. It's even worse for people like MN-Skeptic and jemcanada and GreatGrey, marooned up there in the Artic Circle.
Our high afternoon temperature was .

Today’s sunrise was at 7:36am, sunset was 4:31pm. So not even 9 hours of sunlight. It’s a heavy price to pay for our long summer days.
Lani

Post by Lani »

The storm is moving soooo slowly. Lots of flooding. On Oahu 5 kids decided to look at a swollen drainage canal. And then they were swept away in floodwaters. Thank the goddess all of the kids escaped with only minor injuries.

It's possible that most of the storm will pass over or just above the north shore of Kauai, so good news for me. I might not get stuck in my home for days after all. :pray: But thunderstorms are still expected tomorrow and Wednesday. :(
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Lani wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:42 pm It's possible that most of the storm will pass over or just above the north shore of Kauai, so good news for me. I might not get stuck in my home for days after all. :pray: But thunderstorms are still expected tomorrow and Wednesday. :(
And the important question for you: How’s your wine supply?

(Stay safe! :bighug: )
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Foggy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:50 pm Hay, isn't it illegal to have weather disasters in Hawaii? :shock:

I am reporting darkness.

On this day according to my weather app, we are enjoying 9:48 hours and minutes of daylight. A little simple math (Narrator: Foogie sucks at math) reveals that we're suffering FOURTEEN HOURS AND TWELVE MINUTES OF DARKNESS.

That's ... well, that's more than 4 hours longer of darkness. Every dang day.

Eerie, scary, dangerous, poorly-lit darkness, when you don't have enough light to see. It's even worse for people like MN-Skeptic and jemcanada and GreatGrey, marooned up there in the Artic Circle.

And it's going to get worse here before it gets any better. The winter equinox is still WEEKS away.

I'm probably shrinking from lack of sunlight and warmth. :oldman:
Solstice. ;)
Lani

Post by Lani »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:15 pm
Lani wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:42 pm It's possible that most of the storm will pass over or just above the north shore of Kauai, so good news for me. I might not get stuck in my home for days after all. :pray: But thunderstorms are still expected tomorrow and Wednesday. :(
And the important question for you: How’s your wine supply?

(Stay safe! :bighug: )
I decided that this storm requires vodka.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Meanwhile, I keep getting emergency flood warnings for Oahu. Lots of vehicles stuck on flooded roads. People evacuating from inundated homes near streams & ditches. Road closures everywhere. Power outages. Delayed flights.

The National Weather Service says Oahu and Kauai face the greatest threat of flash flooding. Thunderstorms will be arriving here in a few hours, so I guess I'll go to bed soon so I get some sleep before the excitement starts.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:30 pm Solstice. ;)
:oopsy:
Out from under. :thumbsup:

Return to “General Stuff”