Kyle Rittenhouse, previous owner of a Smith & Wesson M&P15

These people are weird, but we like to find out what weird people are doing and thinking. It's a hobby.
neeneko

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse, previous owner of a Smith & Wesson M&P15

Post by neeneko »

Foggy wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:23 pm How'd you like to be a judge, a supposedly sober and responsible member of society, and suddenly you're nationally famous and your nickname is "Judge Crazypants"?
On the other hand he is getting quite a fan club. I imagine his personal equation is balancing the relationship he has with the people who call him judge crazypants and the relationship he has with the people who are cheering him on.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I believe this was followed by, "Let's go Brandon!" :mrgreen:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

filly wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:48 pm Maybenaut I mostly agree with you and that's why I keep posting about careful/bad lawyering. None of that justified the hysteria of the Judge, IMHO. The Judge has his fat thumb on the scale. That's wrong. It's bad for the judicial system.
Oh, I don’t disagree. It’s kind of shocking to me, because these lines are bright as day. It would be easy for Binger to avoid coming anywhere near them so the judge doesn’t get a chance to thumb the scale.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

neeneko wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:56 pm
filly wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:48 pm The Judge has his fat thumb on the scale. That's wrong. It's bad for the judicial system.
I am noticing that every time the prosecution tries to impeach a witness or call into question potential bias, the judge shuts them down. The 'journalism' of that last one was pretty damn important since he was not exactly a neutral observer. I am a bit disappointed that the prosecution did not push that, or point out how he was singling out his political enemies involvement in the riots but passing on everyone else.
He tried, but the defense objected and the judge shut it down, saying words to the effect of, “This trial isn’t about anyone’s political beliefs.”
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

The judge knows damn well at this point this trial is EXACTLY about people's political beliefs.
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I am catching up with the "journalist's" testimony. I notice in his videos that whenever he is videographing an area where you don't see a shitload of vigilantes carting their AR's around there is no violence happening. People are milling around, you hear occasional yelling, but by and large there is nothing like what happens when the vigilantes are around.

There is well documented evidence that the presence of guns amps up the tendency for violence in everyone involved, regardless of whether they are the ones who are armed or not. The out of control vigilantism is a growing problem.
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
raison de arizona

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

RVInit wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:01 pm The judge knows damn well at this point this trial is EXACTLY about people's political beliefs.
Sadly, 'keep politics out of XYZ' tends to be code for 'keep other politics out because mine are natural'. The provacture is from the judge's political cohort thus their politics are baseline that does not need to be examined.

On another note.. I can not decide how I feel about the questioning of this image processing expert witness. The questions are odd, I can not figure out where they are going, and I am a bit iffy on the guy's answers.... they get to the question the lawyer seems to be asking, but are not _quite_ accurate, and there seems to be a bit of 'I am guessing at their intent and trying to give answers that are in the right spirit'.
raison de arizona

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

--Jane Goodall
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I.. think the defense's own expert witness currently wants to strangle the defense council and I am really amused ^_^
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

neeneko wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:22 pm I.. think the defense's own expert witness currently wants to strangle the defense council and I am really amused ^_^
Which one? I have to watch later...

--Jane Goodall
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

RVInit wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:23 pm Which one? I have to watch later...
The defense's image analyst. Really giving the lawyer a glare for essentially arguing that digital processing of images invalidates them.

The prosecution is trying to point out how ridiculous the argument is, but they are not going NEARLY far enough since the same 'you are changing colours!' not only applies to other digital processes (like putting it on a screen for people to see, or printing it out) but also applies to analog techniques like use of enlarging lenses.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Defence must be worried that the jury didn’t but the Sneeze Crying of baby face Kyle the killer.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

neonzx wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:34 pm If Kyle was a Black 17yo, he'd already be in prison. White privilege -- Wisconsin
He'd be dead. He'd never have made it to the car to drive home.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:33 pm Defence must be worried that the jury didn’t but the Sneeze Crying of baby face Kyle the killer.
Well, their emotive argument does work better when not countered by timestamped images of particular stances.

Ironically, while trickier, the defense could have argued about things like compression artifacts which can actually produce new geometries including things that might look like a raised gun. But I guess that is a bit too technical and not as passionate as 'the colours could be different!'. That being said, the prosecution's witness's lack of knowledge was pretty troubling. You should really know the basics of the math behind various processing techniques if you are using them like this.
raison de arizona

LM K wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:35 pm
neonzx wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:34 pm If Kyle was a Black 17yo, he'd already be in prison. White privilege -- Wisconsin
:winner:

Also, the latest Ben Garrison...
LM K

Post by LM K »

Foggy wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:23 pm
filly wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:48 pm The Judge has his fat thumb on the scale. That's wrong. It's bad for the judicial system.
The weird thing is, he's very conscious that he's being video'd the whole time, and that clips of what he does are playing on national Tee Vee and across the Intarwebz with millions of views, and he still can't manage to act like a real judge. How'd you like to be a judge, a supposedly sober and responsible member of society, and suddenly you're nationally famous and your nickname is "Judge Crazypants"?

I think that would bother me, but no. :nope:
Question. Should judges watch coverage during trial periods? That seems unprofessional. What talking heads say shouldn't sway a judge, eps when a judge's appearance and decisions are discussed.

We are all sensitive to insults and negative social perception. I'm sure that the Dalai Lama and Pope Francis have to work on the ego issues that all humans struggle with. I feel that it's unwise for judges to watch media coverage during trial periods.
raison de arizona

LM K wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:49 pm
The weird thing is, he's very conscious that he's being video'd the whole time, and that clips of what he does are playing on national Tee Vee and across the Intarwebz with millions of views, and he still can't manage to act like a real judge. How'd you like to be a judge, a supposedly sober and responsible member of society, and suddenly you're nationally famous and your nickname is "Judge Crazypants"?

Question. Should judges watch coverage during trial periods? That seems unprofessional. What talking heads say shouldn't sway a judge, eps when a judge's appearance and decisions are discussed.

We are all sensitive to insults and negative social perception. I'm sure that the Dalai Lama and Pope Francis have to work on the ego issues that all humans struggle with. I feel that it's unwise for judges to watch media coverage during trial periods.
I might argue that there is a difference between actually watching it and being cognizant of the coverage. I would hope judges were always on their best behavior, but especially when one knows their every move is being widely transmitted.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:49 pm
filly wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:48 pm Maybenaut I mostly agree with you and that's why I keep posting about careful/bad lawyering. None of that justified the hysteria of the Judge, IMHO. The Judge has his fat thumb on the scale. That's wrong. It's bad for the judicial system.
Oh, I don’t disagree. It’s kind of shocking to me, because these lines are bright as day. It would be easy for Binger to avoid coming anywhere near them so the judge doesn’t get a chance to thumb the scale.
I always appreciate comments from lawyers assessing other lawyers.

Every human deserves a fair trial. In the US, we pride ourselves on the integrity of our judicial system. All members of the judicial system need to work in good faith and adhere to professional and ethical standards.

I want Rittenhouse to receive a fair trial. For him to receive that, the judge, lawyers, and juries need to act in good faith. I believe that the evidence strongly supports guilty verdicts for most charges against Rittenhouse. I believe that the prosecution has met their burden for most charges. But the prosecution needs to behave professionally, follow ethical standards, and act in good faith. I expect the same from the defense and the judge.

Any deviation from ethical standards by any member is a blow to our entire judicial system.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

He ain’t no Judge Ito.

Meanwhile….

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
LM K

Post by LM K »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:43 pm
LM K wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:35 pm
:winner:

Also, the latest Ben Garrison...
Alas, it's jurors that decide verdicts.
raison de arizona

Is it normal to have to go through this much rigamarole to introduce an enlarged image?
DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten »

Rittenhouse is going to sue Joe Biden for something he never said or did.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation- ... 42010.html
raison de arizona

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:22 pm Rittenhouse is going to sue Joe Biden for something he never said or did.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation- ... 42010.html
That's from a year ago, a Lin Wood special. Not sure whatever became of it though.

Return to “Other weirdos”