Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Rest In Peace

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Rest In Peace

Post by AndyinPA »

RIP. He actually had a pretty full career.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:43 pm RIP. He actually had a pretty full career.

That he did. He played everything from goofball comedy to dark villain.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

I got a call today that a life long family friend died of Covid in a nursing home today at the ripe old age of 90. He was career Air Force, (worked in finance) and he was a hell of a piano player. He had two beautiful daughters and 3 grandkids. After he retired he spent the rest of his working life playing music and tuning pianos.

RIP Larry :cry:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:bighug:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
June bug

Post by June bug »

Wow - Mort Sahl made it a good long time. Good for him. Sorry to hear about your friend, Ms Daisy. :bighug:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... s-aged-100
Dr Aaron Beck, the father of cognitive behavioural therapy, dies aged 100
Beck’s work revolutionised the diagnosis and treatment of depression and other psychological disorders and continues to have a resounding influence

Beck developed the field of cognitive behavioural therapy, a clinical form of psychotherapy, at the University of Pennsylvania in the 1960s. It prompts patients to focus on distortions in their day-to-day thinking, rather than on conflicts buried in childhood.

He developed the treatment after finding that his depressed patients frequently experienced distorted negative ideas – he dubbed them “automatic thoughts”.

Unlike Freudian psychoanalysis, which delves into a patient’s childhood and searches for hidden internal conflicts, cognitive therapy says turning around a self-disparaging inner monologue is key to alleviating many psychological problems.

He touted the idea with an anti-Freudian maxim: “There’s more to the surface than meets the eye.”

Beck discovered that patients who learn to recognise the faulty logic of their negative automatic thoughts – such as, “I’ll always be a failure” or “no one likes me” – could learn to overcome their fears and think more rationally, which diminished their anxiety and improved their mood. He found that results endured long after therapy was finished, as patients learned to confront those thoughts on their own.
I thank this man for his work and for how CBT has helped so many members of my family.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:29 am https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... s-aged-100
Dr Aaron Beck, the father of cognitive behavioural therapy, dies aged 100
Beck’s work revolutionised the diagnosis and treatment of depression and other psychological disorders and continues to have a resounding influence

Beck developed the field of cognitive behavioural therapy, a clinical form of psychotherapy, at the University of Pennsylvania in the 1960s. It prompts patients to focus on distortions in their day-to-day thinking, rather than on conflicts buried in childhood.

He developed the treatment after finding that his depressed patients frequently experienced distorted negative ideas – he dubbed them “automatic thoughts”.

Unlike Freudian psychoanalysis, which delves into a patient’s childhood and searches for hidden internal conflicts, cognitive therapy says turning around a self-disparaging inner monologue is key to alleviating many psychological problems.

He touted the idea with an anti-Freudian maxim: “There’s more to the surface than meets the eye.”

Beck discovered that patients who learn to recognise the faulty logic of their negative automatic thoughts – such as, “I’ll always be a failure” or “no one likes me” – could learn to overcome their fears and think more rationally, which diminished their anxiety and improved their mood. He found that results endured long after therapy was finished, as patients learned to confront those thoughts on their own.
I thank this man for his work and for how CBT has helped so many members of my family.
I know it helped me. My inner monologue was... astonishingly brutal. Still can be sometimes, but I've learned mechanisms to shut it down. Works most of the time. Now I know who to thank.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

From jez:
I know it helped me. My inner monologue was... astonishingly brutal. Still can be sometimes, but I've learned mechanisms to shut it down. Works most of the time. Now I know who to thank.
I call my inner monologue "the committee in my head". The committee members never had anything nice to say.

I used reframing from CBT with my clients. It was effective.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Post by Lani »

It sounds like Learned Optimism by Seligman. We read it during advanced mediator training, and it was very helpful - for my work and personally. If I start thinking "what if", "everything is ruined", "my life sucks", etc., I return to what I learned from the book and move forward.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

No trump. Wonder if he was even invited?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... d_ms_tw_ma

Colin Powell's life as a military leader, diplomat to be honored during funeral service
The Bidens are scheduled to attend the service as well as former Presidents Obama and Bush and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
No Bill Clinton or Jimmy Carter but I think it's easy enough to assume they were welcome but had to decline for health reasons.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Wait, I thought Killary and Obama were executed by the military? Q said it, or somebody. :confuzzled:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
Slim, is that a goggie s'more?
Out from under. :thumbsup:
filly

Post by filly »

Watch Colin Powell’s service if you can. A reminder of a country that used to be.
filly

Post by filly »

Hillary, Barack and Michele,George and Laura are there. I haven’t spotted Condi Rice. Ferragamo sale? Or maybe she’s there and I haven’t seen her.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
filly

Post by filly »

Since everyone is masked can’t say for sure but Secretary Powell’s grandson appears to be his spitting image.
filly

Post by filly »

The great traditional music gets me every time (plus painkillers). Who deserves this more than Colin Powell? Yes I know there is that huge UN blunder but he acknowledged it and sought forgiveness and I am willing. Even Richard Armitage is gracious to Hillary and the Presidents who are there.
filly

Post by filly »

Armitage just told great story about Powell putting on a boom box , getting down on one knee and singing ABBA’s Momma Mia in the entirety to the gobsmacked Swedish delegation. A window into why he was so beloved by so my disparate groups of people.
filly

Post by filly »

A beautiful eulogy by his son.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Foggy wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:54 am
Off Topic
Slim, is that a goggie s'more?
Off Topic
Why yes it is. The best kind, cardboard graham crackers, pillow stuffing marshmallows and chocolate lab. Not mine, though.
filly

Post by filly »

Summarizing and quoting Gloria Borger, it was grand but not grandiose.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I mostly saw the last half of it, so I missed some eulogies, but it was a beautiful service.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Return to “General Stuff”