Hijack This Thread

zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by zekeb »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:32 pm I could have sworn it was later than this, but it was 1974 when the U.S. stayed on DST all year long. I was in college at that time so it didn't make a big impression on me other than noting it in the news.
It was during that oil embargo. Once again, they claimed it saved energy. It didn't. Claimed energy savings were based on some 1950s study. The main savings were supposed to be from stores using less lighting. How many stores of any size have enough windows where lighting wouldn't be needed? Now a days people get in their car and go somewhere during the extra daylight, consuming more energy. I remember the Great Experiment of 74-75. They dropped it a year later mostly due to kids out on the road on their way to school or waiting for the school bus in the dark.
Largo al factotum.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I remember being irked, vexed even, because my parents, who were obviously monsters, wouldn't let me ride my bike to school in the dark, so I had to :faint: walk. Just shy of a mile, and it wasn't even uphill both ways, or snowing, or anything.
Image Image Image Image
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

As a tax accountant, my first jobs (Jan '75 - Apr '79) were with CPA firms. From Jan through about one week before Apr 15 I barely saw the sun. Then, all of a sudden, we were back to regular hours and DST kicked in and spring was here and it was like moving from a cave to a world that was bright and alive.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:51 pm Interesting, but early days yet.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/m ... s-governor
Matthew McConaughey has announced he is “seriously considering” a run for Texas governor, a year before the state election.
Doesn't he know better? We just had a narcissist for president, and it was a disaster. As much as I like Matthew's work, I hate it when people with no background reach for the brass ring, and run for the top spot in politics. This is not a beauty contest. Make your bones first. Run for city council. Get elected to a state office. Develope a track record. Let us see you go toe to toe on the floor. We want to read your bills, know your thoughts, and have a good idea who you are besides a guy on the TV screen.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Well, I gotra tell ya, that silly DST plays havoc with the cows milking cycle. They don't know whats goin on half the time. And the missus has to replace the curtains every few months cause they are getting so faded.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

BTW, the caption of my new avatar is “Pit Bull.”
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

My heart caused me to bust a tear today. My dad went to Vietnam in 68/69ish, while he was there he had a ring made for my mother with blue sapphires and little diamonds in white gold. I remember asking my mom if I could wear it once for a big dress up do I was going to when I was younger and she said no. She never actually liked me very much, she was very mean to me when I was a child. Even after I was grown and brought my family home and built a big house for all of us to live in so I could take care of her and my handicapped sister, something I always promised my dad I’d do if anything ever happened to him. He died in 1986. Still she chronically complained about everything I did but at least she didn't pull my hair or slap my face any more. I took care of her for 5 years until she died, and had my sister for 11 years until she died at home in her own bed.

Just before my mom died in the hospital she gave the ring to my cousin (her niece) in 1995 and I never saw it again. The morning after she died I went into her room and sat on her bed. She kept a diary by her bedside so I picked it up and just looked at the last page. She had written about me, how hateful I was and how I never cared about anyone but myself. I closed it and never looked again.

I was the runt of all my 1st cousins, all of them old enough to have had me. The cousin she gave the ring to called me today and said she was cleaning stuff out and had mailed the ring to me and wanted me to look out for it. She said she thought I should have it to hand down to my granddaughter some day. When I got home it was in the mailbox.

Yup, I busted more than one tear. I guess it's like reliving childhood trauma or something... :cry: The funny thing is that I never wear jewelry beyond my little stud earrings. I don't even wear my wedding ring except for special occasions.
► Show Spoiler
Lani

Post by Lani »

:bighug: Think of it as your dad's ring, who created it so you would have it with you one day.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Lani wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:01 pm :bighug: Think of it as your dad's ring, who created it so you would have it with you one day.
Absolutely think of it that way! :bighug:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug: --> Ms Daisy

There's a story calling there, like a rose in full bloom waiting to be cut and vased. Please write it. :heart:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

MsDaisy, you are one of the most wonderful, generous, amazing people I know. I love you dearly, and I know your dad would want you to have that ring.

But now this is just sick. Roosters can't get no respect! :sick:

FB_IMG_1615724476142.jpg
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

:bighug:

Yep, it's just the ring my dad had made in Vietnam, that's what I'll tell my granddaughter. I've actually already started labeling and boxing important family stuff like that for after I'm gone so the kids/grand kids will know what everything is, where it came from and who it belonged to.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

tek

Post by tek »

Oh that is SO my current major client..
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:25 am MsDaisy, you are one of the most wonderful, generous, amazing people I know. I love you dearly, and I know your dad would want you to have that ring.

OMG :eek: :shock:

This has to be some meme paste-up photoshop... or I'm just going die laughing.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:40 pm
Foggy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:25 am MsDaisy, you are one of the most wonderful, generous, amazing people I know. I love you dearly, and I know your dad would want you to have that ring.

OMG :eek: :shock:

This has to be some meme paste-up photoshop... or I'm just going die laughing.
Nope. It's real. And so is her other one.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Our very own Mike Dunford quoted on Huffpo.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fox-news ... ENEWS00001
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

THE ANTI-GARAMONDS ARE HERE!
979F1B96-F3A3-47FF-8E85-7D1A776FB155.jpeg
979F1B96-F3A3-47FF-8E85-7D1A776FB155.jpeg (88.78 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Please note hypocritical use of sans serif font in the notice. Bitch might as well have used comic sans, freaking commie.
Image Image Image Image
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I have to look this shit up every single time. I write briefs for five different appellate courts. They all have rules, and the rules are constantly changing. When the Court of Apoeals for the Armed Forces required a non-proportional font but didn’t specify, I wanted to submit a brief in OCR.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
tek

Post by tek »

d-1.jpg
d-1.jpg (20.43 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:14 am I have to look this shit up every single time. I write briefs for five different appellate courts. They all have rules, and the rules are constantly changing. When the Court of Apoeals for the Armed Forces required a non-proportional font but didn’t specify, I wanted to submit a brief in OCR.
I thought all military correspondence was several pages of references referencing references. In OCR.
Largo al factotum.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

zekeb wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:43 am
Maybenaut wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:14 am I have to look this shit up every single time. I write briefs for five different appellate courts. They all have rules, and the rules are constantly changing. When the Court of Apoeals for the Armed Forces required a non-proportional font but didn’t specify, I wanted to submit a brief in OCR.
I thought all military correspondence was several pages of references referencing references. In OCR.
That’s why I wanted to use OCR. But I don’t think the Court has a sense of humor about that sort of thing, so I stuck with Courier New.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

My Kindle will display using a font called OpenDyslexic. For me, it's almost painful to read. I use Caecilia a lot.

I wonder if OpenDyslexic actually helps dyslexic people to read? :think:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Return to “General Stuff”