Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Youtube

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Youtube

Post by RTH10260 »

Youtube Shorts

A new Youtube format created with a special tool, clips limited to max 60", in vertical format, as a direct response to TikTok.
What is the point of YouTube Shorts?

YouTube Shorts enables users to produce vertical short-form videos, with features such as video segmenting, app-based recording, and musical overlays. Videos must be 60 seconds or less and do not disappear like Instagram Reels or Stories content.
The Shorts are also listed with a regular video clip id in the authors Videos section.
Shorts link   https:// www.youtube.com/shorts/__4gKWO5UN4
regular link  https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=__4gKWO5UN4
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Re: Youtube

Post by Luke »

:P
The Epoch Times @EpochTimes
#YouTube announced it will hide dislike counts on all its videos, claiming it wants to curb “creator harassment.” Some commentators suggested that @YouTube took down the feature due to @WhiteHouse videos often seeing considerably more dislikes than likes.
theepochtimes.com
YouTube Announces It Will Hide 'Dislike' Counts on All Videos
YouTube announced Wednesday that it will hide dislike counts on all its videos, claiming it wants to curb "creator ...
7:55 PM · Nov 10, 2021

OrlyLicious @Orly_licious 2m
Replying to @EpochTimes @YouTube and @WhiteHouse
As Rusty the Squirrel @RustyMerciful says, "That's A Shame!". Trumpers lost the House, Senate & White House, & were gifted hard over totally failed #Fraudits. Rushing to irrelevantly "dislike" videos & whining on Twitter is all the perpetually outraged Trumpers had left. Sad!
Rusty Shame.JPG
Rusty Shame.JPG (133.03 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:sadtrombone:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I really wish youtube would simply remove dislikes all together, or at least stop dislikes from increasing a video's rank in the algorithm. Right now 'dislike' has pretty much the opposite effect people would hope it does.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

From YT POV, increased traffic is all that matters.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

The money these kids are making is incredible. MrBeast is 23! Planning to check some of these artists out over the weekend.
YouTube rich list: MrBeast was the highest-paid star of 2021
By Steffan Powell Gaming reporter Published10 hours ago
MrBeast uses stunts and pranks to delight his audience

Jimmy Donaldson, the 23-year-old American better known as MrBeast, was YouTube's highest-earning content creator in 2021, according to Forbes. His elaborate stunts have generated more than 10 billion views on the platform and earned him $54m (£39m). He has overtaken 10-year-old toy reviewer Ryan Kaji, who has topped the annual list for the past two years. Together, the 10 best-paid YouTubers made a combined $300m (£218m) in 2021, the US magazine estimated. Jake Paul is in second place, his first appearance in the top 10 since 2018, and his brother Logan also returns after being absent since 2017. Minecraft player Nathan Graham, known as Unspeakable, makes the list for the first time in fifth place.

YouTube trends expert Chris Stokel-Walker said this year's list is interesting because it shows "how stale" YouTube has become. "It strikes me how white and male this whole list is," he said. "If you take any of the names and look at previous years' lists, you'll probably find them on there as well, just in a different order." During the pandemic, lots of traditional entertainment media had a difficult time adjusting. Movies were delayed, soap opera schedules were altered and video game releases were postponed. For YouTube, however, it was a time of boom. Research suggests that in 2021, the platform had 2.3 billion users worldwide. YouTube says one billion hours of video content is consumed on the platform every day.

Stokel-Walker said: "YouTube was developed as something that would shake up the media industry and get rid of gatekeepers. It was going to democratise how our society and entertainment industry looks. "This list suggests that it's become more like TV than it would prefer to be. The arrival of money on the platform means content is very high stakes - and we see this in what MrBeast is making. "It's not really similar to anything else on YouTube. It's more like big-budget TV." Stokel-Walker suggested the high production values of YouTube today are creating a barrier to entry, meaning you need to "pay to play and be successful".

The top earners as identified by Forbes are not necessarily those with the most views, but rather those who have been able to successfully earn money through brand partnerships, sponsorship deals and merchandise sales. Although it's estimated that two-thirds of YouTube content is not in the English language, it seems that English-speaking creators are most able to financially capitalise on their popularity. YouTube, like many other modern media platforms, is dealing with issues of misinformation and harmful content - however this doesn't seem to have affected its creators' abilities to attract advertisers and sponsors to their channels. Here is the full top 10.

10. Preston Arsement
Preston Arsement grew his community largely thanks to videos centred around Minecraft, although he runs several channels on the website. A regular on this list, he earned an estimated $16m (£11m) in 2021 - down a little from the year before, when he placed sixth.

9. Logan Paul
The controversial boxer and vlogger was last in the top 10 in 2017. He earned $18m (£13m) in 2021.

8. Dude Perfect
Comedy pranksters Dude Perfect was number three on the list in 2020. They made $20m (£14m) last year.

7. Ryan Kaji
The world's most famous toy reviewer has dropped from the top of the tree to number seven.

In 2021, his blend of toy reviews, educational videos and family vlogs helped him earn $27m (£19m).

6. Nastya
The seven-year-old Russian has nearly 90 million subscribers on YouTube. She started as a toy unboxer but now her vlogs and music videos are growing in popularity and her earnings have risen to $28m (£20m) in 2021.

5. Unspeakable
A new entry, the Minecraft player has been uploading to YouTube for a decade. He sold the rights to his back catalogue to the business Spotter last year, which contributed to his earnings of $28.5m (£20m).

4. Rhett and Link
A staple of the YouTube highest earning list, the hosts of geek chat show Good Mythical Morning earned $30m (£22m) in 2021.

3. Markiplier
Another regular gaming creator, Markiplier has used his business acumen to make a successful brand of merchandise, earning $38m (£27m) last year.

2. Jake Paul
By branching out into boxing, Jake Paul has found himself back in the top 10. His high-profile fights against UFC stars helped him earn $45m (£32m) in 2021. It's some turnaround for the creator who was criticised alongside his bother for some of their vlogs in 2017, which many found to be in poor taste. With more boxing plans in the pipeline for 2022, it would be no surprise to see him keep his place among YouTube's elite on next year's list.

1. MrBeast
YouTube's top earner is a creator who uses stunts and pranks to delight his audience. Last year, he recreated elements of Netflix hit Squid Game on his channel, played hide and seek in an 80,000-seater stadium and was buried underground. His 10 billion views, alongside the MrBeast burger franchise, meant Jimmy Donaldson almost doubled his income in 2021 after ranking second on this list the previous year.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainmen ... gn=KARANGA
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Luke

Post by Luke »

Here's MrBeast's Squid Game, with over 203 million views! Get what they're saying about big-budget Hollywood like content, the guy says this cost over $3.5M. If you haven't seen Squid Game, probably shouldn't watch it, no spoilers from the show really but the games are the same so save this for after seeing it.

$456,000 Squid Game In Real Life!
203,558,760 views Nov 24, 2021

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

What would you like to see?

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

orlylicious wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:37 pm :P
The Epoch Times @EpochTimes
#YouTube announced it will hide dislike counts on all its videos, claiming it wants to curb “creator harassment.” Some commentators suggested that @YouTube took down the feature due to @WhiteHouse videos often seeing considerably more dislikes than likes.
theepochtimes.com
YouTube Announces It Will Hide 'Dislike' Counts on All Videos
YouTube announced Wednesday that it will hide dislike counts on all its videos, claiming it wants to curb "creator ...
7:55 PM · Nov 10, 2021
As an avid fan of Jen Psaki, I've watched most (okay, all) of her pressers on YouTube (which is where the white house link redirects). My habit has been to go to the YouTube page and leave the tab open when I think about it, which is usually well before the presser is due to begin, just so I don't miss it. I am here to testify that as soon as that YouTube link goes up, a thousand + thumbs down appear. Every time. Totally outnumbering the thumbs ups (whic appeared at more normal times like, after the presser began.

I have no idea if YouTube removed the thumbs down because of this (I would doubt it), but it was a really good idea, IMO.

This is why we can't have nice things.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

I understand that the down-voting was perceived as harrassment and skewed to correctly represent the quality of the video. Hiding the count discourages others to pile on. The content creator still gets to see the number. If I dislike the content I still down-vote.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

a contribution for Youtube channel owners and content creators

how to fight spam in comments

Suranis

Youtube

Post by Suranis »

Hey. this is a guy explaining what most content creators apart from the very biggest have to deal with on youtube and how its just getting worse. Its mostly him talking so you can listen while doing something else.

Though he does not make this point, here is what I think is happening. You see, Youtube had a golden couple of years with the Pandemic, when everyone was stuck at home and watching crap on youtube. Now that profits are down because people are out and about again, the suits are going nuts as their end of year bonuses are on the line. So they are going nuts messing with content creators again, thinking if they get rid of the small crap then everyone will flock to the big racist idiots like Pewdiepie etc, or at least they will have to spend less resources and money dealing with the small fry. And the tiny channels can get stomped on with impunity as they have no power.
Hic sunt dracones
Danraft

Youtube

Post by Danraft »

All I know is that no matter what type of videos I am watching at the time: kayak modification techniques; instructionals on cross country skiing or outdoor Winter sports; music and vocal analysis, college type content on molecular genetics, etc— up comes Ben Shapiro, Jordan Peterson, and other right wing trolls as well as conspiracy theory nonsense.

It is no coincidence that during the pandemic when YouTube viewing was high, Q-anon florished. So did Flat Earth Theory and every other jello-head concept (anti-GMO’s, anti-vaccines, etc).

And probably no coincidence that those that seem to have fallen down the rabbit hole (many of which end up in our FB discussion threads) are people that have way too much time because they are unemployed or whatever and have fallen prey to YouTubes disinformation promoting algorithms.

I know Free-Speech-Absolutist view this as just an unavoidable price of Free Speech. I disagree.

I was happy to see the above video on removing spam comments which promote things like the Cryptocurrency scams. I have seen a few right wing trolls on Twitter (that when one goes to their page and looks at their comment summaries) that have fallen prey to these scams. Their feed consists of complaining about how much money they have lost, Re-posting content that says “whoever shares this Tweet will have a chance to win $5000”, begging Elon Musk to give them a Tesla because they are broke and without a car, etc.
I feel bad for those suckers. And, their money feeds the trolls. Please don’t feed the trolls.
Suranis

Youtube

Post by Suranis »

Dunno if anyone followed this woman who went by the Youtube name of "Physics Girl" but here's a Health update, and TL;DR it's not good. Long Covid is a Mac Truck.

Hic sunt dracones
qbawl

Youtube

Post by qbawl »

I have watched her vids. This makes me very sad.
John Thomas8

Youtube

Post by John Thomas8 »

They've been going after actual history content for some time:

RTH10260

Youtube

Post by RTH10260 »

YouTube tests blocking videos unless you disable ad blockers

By Sergiu Gatlan
May 10, 2023 03:43 PM 16

YouTube is running an experiment asking some users to disable their ad blockers or pay for a premium subscription, or they will not be allowed to watch videos.

As first spotted by a Reddit user this week, YouTube will display a pop-up warning some users that "ad blockers are not allowed."

"It looks like you may be using an ad blocker. Ads allow YouTube to stay free for billions of users worldwide," the message adds.

Upon receiving this notification, users will have two options: either disable their ad blocker to allow YouTube ads or consider subscribing to YouTube Premium to get rid of all advertisements.

As explained in the pop-up, "you can go ad-free with YouTube Premium, and creators can still get paid from your subscription."

A YouTube spokesperson confirmed this experiment and said the company urges viewers to try YouTube Premium or allow ads on the platform.

"We're running a small experiment globally that urges viewers with ad blockers enabled to allow ads on YouTube or try YouTube Premium," the spokesperson told BleepingComputer.

"Ad blocker detection is not new, and other publishers regularly ask viewers to disable ad blockers."

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/t ... -blockers/
John Thomas8

Youtube

Post by John Thomas8 »

YouTube lives on ad revenue and whatever subscriptions they can sell. Which will be going up since they've bought into the NFL hype-stream.

I can't use YouTube without premium, the ads are bold, brave and obnoxious. It's $11/month, not a burden.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Youtube

Post by raison de arizona »

Scoop: YouTube reverses misinformation policy to allow U.S. election denialism

In a reversal of its election integrity policy, YouTube will leave up content that says fraud, errors or glitches occurred in the 2020 presidential election and other U.S. elections, the company confirmed to Axios Friday.

Why it matters: YouTube established the policy in December 2020, after enough states had certified the 2020 election results. Now, the company said in a statement, leaving the policy in place may have the effect of "curtailing political speech without meaningfully reducing the risk of violence or other real-world harm."
:snippity:
https://www.axios.com/2023/06/02/us-ele ... ube-policy
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Youtube

Post by Volkonski »

Warning shows him alive but also shows him on his deathbed and his funeral.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”