Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Ron DeSantis

These people suck. They are bad people.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Ron DeSantis

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-hea ... 218b268bbe
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — An abortion bill similar to one signed into law in Texas was filed in Florida on Wednesday that would ban most abortions in the state and would allow lawsuits against doctors who violate it.

The legislation filed by Republican Rep. Webster Barnaby immediately met with opposition from Democrats who want to preserve the right to legal abortions. Barnaby’s office said he wasn’t ready to comment on it.

“This bill is dangerous, radical, and unconstitutional. The hypocrisy of this attempt by Governor (Ron) DeSantis and Republicans in the state legislature to take away our rights while at the same time preaching ’my body, my choice’ when it comes to wearing masks is absolutely disgusting,” Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried said in a statement. Fried is a Democratic candidate to challenge DeSantis next year.

While similar bills have died in the Florida Legislature in past sessions, the debate has heated up since the U.S. Supreme Court chose not to block the Texas law that bans abortion when a so-called “fetal heartbeat” is detected, or about six weeks into pregnancy, before many women realize they are expecting.
Cross-posted in TX Abortion thread.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MisterC

Post by MisterC »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:21 pm
Lord, please have mercy on the poor children of Florida.
It gets worse, he passed an emergency rule allowing parents to keep their children in school even after they test positive, as long as they're asymptomatic :cantlook:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:roll:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

It's become a death cult.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

MisterC wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:59 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:21 pm
Lord, please have mercy on the poor children of Florida.
It gets worse, he passed an emergency rule allowing parents to keep their children in school even after they test positive, as long as they're asymptomatic :cantlook:
And I believe I heard yesterday that he has not yet been confirmed by the FL legislature. But y'know, no biggy. Just start in 'cause confirmation is a forefuckinggone conclusion in Deathsantistan.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 12.12.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 12.12.08 PM.png (78.82 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.rawstory.com/ron-desantis-2655176400/
Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis' "efforts to keep Florida open" have had devastating impacts on state agencies — with entire offices closing due to outbreaks, and three state prisons shuttering due to a lack of corrections officers, the newspaper reported Monday.

"The workers are very scared," said Vicki Hall, president of a union that represents nearly half of Florida's 105,000 state employees. "The governor wants everything open and running. ... Management is not taking it seriously."

DeSantis' administration ordered state workers to return to their offices last October, with social distancing and masks optional.

One Department of Revenue employee complained recently that, "They don't tell us when people have been in the building sick. We have to hear through the grapevine that someone is in the hospital or dead. If we complain, we are offered demotions."
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

(from Andy above)
DeSantis' administration ordered state workers to return to their offices last October, with social distancing and masks optional.

One Department of Revenue employee complained recently that, "They don't tell us when people have been in the building sick. We have to hear through the grapevine that someone is in the hospital or dead. If we complain, we are offered demotions."
Fucking DeSantis is killing off his own supporters.

I can't find it now but yesterday on twitter I was reading an epidemiologist's thread about the impact of COVID deaths in red states, or red areas vs blue areas. I can't link so this is me possibly misremembering but I want to say for every blue area death, five red area residents die.

Of course, the scientist was horrified by the numbers. My evil side smiled.

Update: Filly posted a NYT article with the same info in the spreadneck thread.

https://t.co/ZMoFQ3breZ?amp=1
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
filly

Post by filly »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:03 am Fucking DeSantis is killing off his own supporters.

I can't find it now but yesterday on twitter I was reading an epidemiologist's thread about the impact of COVID deaths in red states, or red areas vs blue areas. I can't link so this is me possibly misremembering but I want to say for every blue area death, five red area residents die.

Of course, the scientist was horrified by the numbers. My evil side smiled.

Update: Filly posted a NYT article with the same info in the spreadneck thread.

https://t.co/ZMoFQ3breZ?amp=1
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Was just coming to post this.

Red COVID. A marvelously explicit neologism.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Don’t believe in evolution? Take a step back and watch how natural selection works.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:36 pm Don’t believe in evolution? Take a step back and watch how natural selection works.
This has crossed my mind more than once this summer. Since it comes hand-in-hand with the unwanted thought that the more conspiracy theorists die, the better, I tend to reject it.

Proof if any is needed that you can't control the thoughts that come into your head. Nature at work. My meat-sack thinks for itself.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Riding that train to the bottom.
Gov. DeSantis says decline in men going to college a ‘good sign

The Governor says men are choosing trades like boatbuilding over college educations.

Gov. Ron DeSantis, who has degrees from Harvard Law and Yale, thinks it might be a “good sign” fewer men are attending college compared to women.
:snippity:
“I guess there was a decline in the number of men, the percentage of men going to college or whatever. And they acted like this was a bad thing. And honestly, like, you know, to me, I think that is probably a good sign,” the Governor added.

“Because I think people are looking at this and they’re acknowledging, you know, some of these universities are not giving you very much for your money. You’re not necessarily going to get ahead in that.”
“In fact, kind of the joke’s on some of the people who have gone the university route, and they wind up deep in debt with no opportunities, and so they would have been better off maybe trying something else,” DeSantis said, adding a nod to the boat building sector.

“I’m sure this industry needs good folks. You have folks, I mean, driving the trucks. You have people who are electrical. I mean, it is, there’s never been a better time to do (it),” DeSantis, a graduate of Ivy League universities, contended.
https://floridapolitics.com/archives/46 ... good-sign/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:43 pm Riding that train to the bottom.
Gov. DeSantis says decline in men going to college a ‘good sign

The Governor says men are choosing trades like boatbuilding over college educations.

Gov. Ron DeSantis, who has degrees from Harvard Law and Yale, thinks it might be a “good sign” fewer men are attending college compared to women.
“I guess there was a decline in the number of men, the percentage of men going to college or whatever. And they acted like this was a bad thing. And honestly, like, you know, to me, I think that is probably a good sign,” the Governor added.
https://floridapolitics.com/archives/46 ... good-sign/
The GOP wants to set the world on fire because their people feel their prestige and status is threatened. Imagine what might happen if DeSantis's latest word vomit is taken as good advice by millions of men. In a generation or so, women will narrow or potentially reverse the eternal pay gap that has them earning less than men on average. Imagine the backlash when tons of male truck drivers with poor prospects for career and wage advancement wake up and notice that the majority of managers and other professionals that they interact with are women.

Be uneducated and less employable! That'll own the libs for sure!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

DeSantis poorly worded these comments. I get it somewhat, but I don't know why he is targeting men in this way. IIRC, women now already outnumber men at our colleges/universities. And traditional college is not for everyone.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

It seems to be a meme on the right. I have one RWNJ on Facebook who is always touting trade schools. It may be because her two sons didn't go to college. I don't think that's a bad route for a lot people (men and women), but trashing a college education is just stupid.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:00 pm The GOP wants to set the world on fire because their people feel their prestige and status is threatened. Imagine what might happen if DeSantis's latest word vomit is taken as good advice by millions of men. In a generation or so, women will narrow or potentially reverse the eternal pay gap that has them earning less than men on average. Imagine the backlash when tons of male truck drivers with poor prospects for career and wage advancement wake up and notice that the majority of managers and other professionals that they interact with are women.
Hrm. I am thinking back to historical examples of when the value of jobs changed according to who was doing them...... if it went from mostly women to mostly men the pay went up, if it went from mostly men to mostly women the pay went down. I am having horrible images of seeing an inversion in education vs pay.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:59 pm It seems to be a meme on the right. I have one RWNJ on Facebook who is always touting trade schools. It may be because her two sons didn't go to college. I don't think that's a bad route for a lot people (men and women), but trashing a college education is just stupid.
That was my reaction: I've seen stuff like this before. "Own the libs by not going to college and allowing a bunch of soyboys to turn you into a librul. If enough people do that, then colleges will go out of business and all those commie librul professors will be out of work. Work in unsatisfying jobs because 'Murica!"

Indeed, there are some pretty good jobs that don't require a college education. Some of the cutting edge manufacturing jobs out there in semiconductors, aerospace and other things pay better than crappy college graduate jobs (working as a claims supervisor in an insurance company) and you don't have the debt load. But the exceptions more or less prove the rule. Even with the bump in wages for less-skilled jobs because of COVID, lower-skilled employees will likely continue to lose ground to higher-skilled non-college workers, but there aren't as many high-skilled blue collar jobs as there used to be.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

cf. "What a snob!"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/el ... _blog.html

Santorum: Obama is ‘a snob’ because he wants ‘everybody in America to go to college’
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

How sad, and frightening. Who votes for horrible people like this? I've really lost hope.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Off Topic
Whenever I hear anything from the high and mighty Santorum, I always remember that his wife, before they were married, had a long-standing affair with my gyneacologist. :cantlook:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:49 pm
Off Topic
Whenever I hear anything from the high and mighty Santorum, I always remember that his wife, before they were married, had a long-standing affair with my gyneacologist. :cantlook:
:shock: The horror.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

DeSantis does not want men to go to college though not because it may be the best choice for somebody. He wants them to not go because if they do, they might learn to think for themselves and realize that he is full of shit.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”