Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

California Governor

Suranis

Re: California Governor

Post by Suranis »

Just as an aside, they didn't burn Witches or people in General in the Americas. They usually hanged them. Burning was more of a European preoccupation.

There were no burnings in the Salem Witch Trials, for example.
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

When you said Agnes Moorehead, my first thought was of the Twilight Zone episode, The Invaders.

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Suranis wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:42 am Just as an aside, they didn't burn Witches or people in General in the Americas. They usually hanged them. Burning was more of a European preoccupation.

Americans also used pressing, notably on one of the accused men.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -democrats
Hours after Gavin Newsom beat back a historic recall election that could have cost him his job, Democrats in California vowed to reform the system allowing a sitting governor to be challenged.

The changes could include increasing the number of signatures needed to force a recall election, raising the standard to require wrongdoing on the part of the officeholder and changing the process that could permit someone with a small percentage of votes to replace the state’s top elected official.

“I think the recall process has been weaponized,” Newsom said a day after his decisive victory.

Newsom said the recall rules affect not just governors but school boards, city councils, county supervisors and district attorneys, notably in Los Angeles and San Francisco, where progressive prosecutors with reform agendas are facing recall efforts.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Suranis wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:42 am Just as an aside, they didn't burn Witches or people in General in the Americas. They usually hanged them. Burning was more of a European preoccupation.

We know that. It's about the visual.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:51 am

Americans also used pressing, notably on one of the accused men.
I had never heard of death by pressing before my sister-in-law told me about it. It turns out that the man killed by that method was an ancestor of hers.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
filly

Post by filly »

I read that many people from Taiwan who have immigrated to California were rabid recall supporters because they thought Newsome was responsible for too much crime and homelessness. Looks like other Asians did not agree.
Lani

Post by Lani »

They were hanged, drowned or crunched under a rock.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

Don't know where to put this, but since the election was the precipitating event, I'll put it here.

This is my brother. He was on the road a lot for his job and obviously listed to RW radio. Claims he does not watch FOX news.

He retired a couple of weeks ago and we had a nice exchange about a week of camping and exploring the Oregon coast and catching a huge trout in the Rogue river near where he lives. I thought maybe retirement would make him less angry and hateful.

Then this:
hope you and the rest of the family are happy for voting to give military equipment to the TALIBAN who immediately transported it to Iran. You Woke assholes voted to destroy America. You are not my family. I will defend my country just as they did in the civil war, That's what you assholes voted for and that"s what you are going to get. Gavin Newsome is a piece of shit that is ruining California but you voted for total destruction. Business and people are making a mass exodus and all of you Woke asses hate America and trust me, when you come to my place you will be met with anything I can get my hands on.
You idiots want peace? Bullshit.
The other 5 of us are all California Democrats. Don't know what happened to him, except we were all born in the west, he was born in S. Carolina...
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Off Topic
to give military equipment to the TALIBAN who immediately transported it to Iran
A quick Google search did not show any articles confirming this claim. Actually the Taliban at the moment have other urgent issues at hand rather than shipping off military hardware (also consider the geographic locations and the transport capabilities). Apart, Iran has never been a huge Taliban supporter. What was left behind by the US was low grade equippment, nothing hi-tech. Also too much of what was left behind was Afghan army assets, the US did not strip armament from the local authorities. Least but not last, why angry over the Democrats? It was the former double impotus who ordered the draw down, he is responsible for anything that gets into wrong (unintended) hands. The Biden administration was just doing the mopping up.
tek

Post by tek »

too also, the Taliban was pretty sad when they found out all the military equipment that was left behind was disabled and essentially scrap.

The military has long practiced destroying everything when making a quick exit. The ability to do that is designed into most 'interesting' military iron.
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

Thanks, RTH10260 & tek.

If I ever speak to him again I'll tell him.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Off Topic
re above - a P.S.

I wonder if the guy Sequoia32 mentioned was actually speaking of Hezbollah, and of the US panic retreat from Syria in 2019. At that time the US did after the Turkish invasion leave behind much intact military hardware and advanced ammunition (SAMs). Local militias friendly to Iran could well have shipped some stuff thru Iraq into Iran.

Note: happened under the former administration
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Also too sequoia, people are not leaving CA in droves… or in trains or boats or any other way.
From July:
Despite the popular notion of unhappy Californians leaving the state en masse, our robust research shows there is actually no exodus," said Thad Kousser, chair of the political science department at UC San Diego and the lead researcher of the survey. "Most residents say that they still believe in the 'California Dream.'"
https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7.com/a ... /10869108/

People are always coming and going. If you read the article, he does say that more Republicans leave than any other single group.

We Californians are not unhappy about that. 😁

I’ll end with this :bighug:
tek

Post by tek »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:07 pm People are always coming and going. If you read the article, he does say that more Republicans leave than any other single group.
"don't let the screen door hit ya"
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:07 pm Also too sequoia, people are not leaving CA in droves… or in trains or boats or any other way.
From July:
Despite the popular notion of unhappy Californians leaving the state en masse, our robust research shows there is actually no exodus," said Thad Kousser, chair of the political science department at UC San Diego and the lead researcher of the survey. "Most residents say that they still believe in the 'California Dream.'"

People are always coming and going. If you read the article, he does say that more Republicans leave than any other single group.

As long as they don't come to Colorado. In some ways, Colorado is more liberal than California these days.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

From my observation of the news it's the housing situation in California, unafforable rents, especially in the Silicon Valley, that is driving people away.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Sequoia32 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:31 pm Thanks, RTH10260 & tek.

If I ever speak to him again I'll tell him.
I'm so sorry. :bighug: :brokenheart:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

The idea that the US forces left equipment behind is a bunch of bunk. We sold the Afghan army quite a bit of equipment, much of which they abandoned. Anything owned by the USA was either destroyed, disabled, or brought home. We did not leave USA-owned equipment behind.

I am so sick and tired of Facebook and right wing media spreading absolute BS and the idiots who believe anything that sounds like something they want to believe.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Off Topic
to continue the threadjack
RVInit wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:31 pm The idea that the US forces left equipment behind is a bunch of bunk. We sold the Afghan army quite a bit of equipment, much of which they abandoned. Anything owned by the USA was either destroyed, disabled, or brought home. We did not leave USA-owned equipment behind.

I am so sick and tired of Facebook and right wing media spreading absolute BS and the idiots who believe anything that sounds like something they want to believe.
Actually you did. Baghram Airfield outside Kabul is one of the lagest scrap yards in the world. Twenty years of accumulated disfunctional equippment are lying around, inoperable of course. Cause it makes no economical sense to repatriate the stuff. All those original humvees that couldn't stand a fifle shot cause only designed as a personnel carrier, then field modified by soldiers to have some minimal armour. Then the next generation of humvees that came with armour and armoured glass windows, then a next generation with manned gun towers to be able to retaliate an attack without leaving the vehicle, followed by a last generation that had closed towers with guns remotely controlled from inside the vehicle. After being blown to smithereens there were several generations of MRAP vehicles that needed increasing protective shielding cause the Taliban built IEDs stronger and stronger. All that nice stuff that got blown up was eventually retrieved and deposed at the airfield. For all these models the army kept a warehouse of replacement parts. I understand that most of it was left behind, of course much of it became obsolete over the years.
somerset

Post by somerset »

FiveAcres wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:17 pm
Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:07 pm Also too sequoia, people are not leaving CA in droves… or in trains or boats or any other way.
From July:

As long as they don't come to Colorado. In some ways, Colorado is more liberal than California these days.
In some ways. But in other ways, not so much, and a recent visit back reminded me that a state that's home to both Boulder and Colorado Springs might well be described as "bipolar" ;)
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

That's certainly true. I moved here when the Amendment 2 protests were a thing, and I kept saying "Don't boycott Colorado, move here and vote!" In retrospect, a little naive.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Don't trust a word he says, but now Larry is saying it's unlikely he'll run again.

Caitlyn hasn't posted on Twitter since 9/15.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Larry musta had somebody explain the math to him enough to realize just how big of a losing loser he is.

From CalMatters.org:
Of the nearly 10.6 million ballots counted as of Sept. 17, nearly 4.7 million, or 44%, did not include a choice for the replacement candidate. That’s compared to the 2.8 million votes, or 26%, that went for the flesh-and-blood frontrunner Larry Elder. If “nobody” were a candidate, he or she would be crushing the competition.
https://calmatters.org/politics/2021/09 ... andidates/
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Governors & State Elections”