Weather Alerts

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by Luke »

Happy to hear you're safe BB and share your love of the Blues!

Waffle Houses are closing.

If Sharon and Orly want to have a Birther Summit, probably great deals on rooms in New Orleans, they just need to get to Denny's early.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

And within the next few days, they will be blaming Biden. :brickwallsmall:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Why even wait? I think the right-wing outrage machine should be pointing out RIGHT NOW that Biden has TOTALLY BOTCHED the response to Hurricane Ida. Never too early to start spreading the horseshit. And today we have fresh, new, improved, and worm-free horseshit! With NO WORMS!!¡!

:cheer2:
"Man Struck By Lightning Faces Battery Charge"
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Dangerously beautiful image.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Indeed Ida's forecast path is about as bad as it could be.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

And the bumper car derby has started here now. Tired, frustrated, worried, and probably hungry drivers, on unfamiliar roads and with shortened patience levels are crashing and burning all over town. This happens every time they evac the coast.

We're already getting some rain and the air is turning orange. We'll spend a couple of hours in the morning getting all the potential projectiles out of the yard and onto the porch or into the house. Made groceries and got gas this morning so we should be good to go.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our former city is a first stop for evacuating Louisianans!

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

After a storm FEMA is your first contact for help, at least if you have federal flood insurance. Been there, done that after Harvey.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Unfortunately, slight jog to the east which makes it a bit worse for New Orleans. More concern in St Bernard Parish. 7-11' storm surge possible, more east, more surge. It's rising already. There's still time for it to jog west but had hoped we'd see this jog west. Once the eye is in radar range, NOAA will start hourly coordinate updates (not intermediate or full).

Next intermediate advisory at 100 AM CDT.
Next complete advisory at 400 AM CDT.
The pressure has been dropping by about 2 mb per hour based on the aircraft data. In addition, tail Doppler Radar data from the aircraft indicate that the vortex has become more symmetric and that the inner core has contracted from the mission earlier today. These are signals that Ida is poised to strengthen further, and based on recent satellite images it appears that strengthening is imminent. Flight-level and SFMR observations also indicate that Ida's wind field has expanded and there is some indication of a double-wind maximum. The tropical-storm-force winds now extend outward up to 120 n mi from the center and hurricane-force winds up to 35 n mi from the eye.
Although landfall is not expected for about 18 hours, impacts will begin well before that time. Tropical-storm-force winds are likely to begin overnight, therefore, all preparations to protect life and property must be rushed to completion. The new track forecast is just a little to the east of the previous one through landfall. After Ida moves inland, a turn to the north and then the northeast is expected as the storm moves in the flow on the northwest and north sides of the ridge.

24 hour live news coverage:

slq

Post by slq »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:35 pm And the bumper car derby has started here now. Tired, frustrated, worried, and probably hungry drivers, on unfamiliar roads and with shortened patience levels are crashing and burning all over town. This happens every time they evac the coast.

We're already getting some rain and the air is turning orange. We'll spend a couple of hours in the morning getting all the potential projectiles out of the yard and onto the porch or into the house. Made groceries and got gas this morning so we should be good to go.
Glad you're set for now. Stay safe, Sugar!
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda
Butterfly Bilderberg

Post by Butterfly Bilderberg »

This fells like a strong dose of deja vu. I dread the news over the next 48 hours.

On a lighter note, if my house is rubble when I return I need suggestions for places (in the U.S.) to rebuild, because I am ready to retire any day between now and 2025. Climate, culture, not too hot, not too cold, foodie and live music paradise. Post your ideas. :shrug:
In my Twitter feed, this tweet to @jsolomonReports: "on behalf of everyone, thanks for being the giant retard that you are."
filly

Post by filly »

Butterfly Bilderberg wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:17 am This fells like a strong dose of deja vu. I dread the news over the next 48 hours.

On a lighter note, if my house is rubble when I return I need suggestions for places (in the U.S.) to rebuild, because I am ready to retire any day between now and 2025. Climate, culture, not too hot, not too cold, foodie and live music paradise. Post your ideas. :shrug:
Z

Omg be safe! There is no perfect place to live! The NYT hadn’t an article the other day above the hellscape Lake Tahoe has become with the wildfires. Take care of yourself.
filly

Post by filly »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:42 pm Our former city is a first stop for evacuating Louisianans!

AND brisket tacos!
Luke

Post by Luke »

WTNT64 KNHC 290645
TCUAT4

Hurricane Ida Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL092021
200 AM CDT Sun Aug 29 2021

...MAJOR HURRICANE IDA CONTINUES TO STRENGTHEN...
...NOW A DANGEROUS CATEGORY 4 HURRICANE...

Data from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft and NOAA
Doppler weather radars indicate that Hurricane Ida has continued to
rapidly intensify this Sunday morning. Maximum sustained winds are
now estimated to be 130 mph (215 km/h). This makes Ida a category 4
hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.

Ida's central pressure has fallen 6 millibars during the past hour.

SUMMARY OF 200 AM CDT...0700 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...27.7N 88.8W
ABOUT 100 MI...160 KM S OF THE MOUTH OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER
ABOUT 175 MI...280 KM SE OF HOUMA LOUISIANA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...130 MPH...215 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 320 DEGREES AT 15 MPH...24 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...949 MB...28.02 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Stewart
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:43 pm
Very dull, but I stumbled across the most HELLACIOUS bug at 2:23:00 and following. :o
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

PaulG wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:49 am
Volkonski wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:43 pm
Very dull, but I stumbled across the most HELLACIOUS bug at 2:23:00 and following. :o
Yikes! Looks like there's a wasp nest very close to the camera.
Image Image Image Image
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Must be one of them hurricane hornets. You really don’t want one of those to hit you at 130 mph. :eek:
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Butterfly Bilderberg wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:17 am This fells like a strong dose of deja vu. I dread the news over the next 48 hours.

I'm so glad you and SM are buttoned down and will be okay. As for places one might want to relocate, that's a tough one. We gots our hurricanes, our wildfires, out water wars (it's coming kids), our tornados, infestations of pests and insects, our culture wastelands, food deserts, and racist-infested sovshit places.

Where to go? Damn, if I knew, I'd be there.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Jeff Masters had a write-up of potential impacts yesterday:

Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

BC of all the water (and governor) problems here in FL, we've been thinking about Albuquerque. I think Santa Fe's altitude may be a problem for hubs heart issues, also too rich for our budget. But we'd fit in.

My biggest worry about moving there is, ironically, water. I don't know if NM also has to deal with the water shortage problems they're having further west.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

filly wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:26 am
AND brisket tacos!
:lovestruck:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

The Ridge and Valley section of the Appalachian Mountains of Virginia (between the Blue Ridge and the Allegheny ranges) has no culture, few restaurants, and very
little live music (but those things are only a few hours away). But it’s so, so beautiful, and the cost of living in this part of Virginia isn’t bad.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Stuff”