Weather Alerts

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by Luke »

I'm happy to hear BB isn't waiting. Don't like the look of this one at all and the short notice is awful for the complexities of evacuation (and COVID). Ida will traverse the highest Ocean Heat Content (OHC) in the basin, coupled with low wind shear & plenty of upper-level outflow. Category 4 is likely, 5 not out of the question.

It's nuts this is so close and only at Advisory #6 at 5pm EDT.

If you can believe it, it was the 29th anniversary of Hurricane Andrew in Miami August 24th. My friend (and client for many years) Bryan Norcross is now with Channel 10 in Miami, you may know him from The Weather Channel or the Today show. He has a series of video podcasts that are interesting and helpful. Here's Bryan with a brief look at what happened with Katrina and Andrew. It wasn't a hurricane disaster, it was an ENGINEERING disaster. Florida got Hurriane Wilma in October.
Hurricane Wilma was the most intense tropical cyclone ever recorded in the Atlantic basin, and the second-most intense tropical cyclone recorded in the Western Hemisphere, after Hurricane Patricia in 2015. Part of the record-breaking 2005 Atlantic hurricane season, which included three of the ten most intense Atlantic hurricanes ever (along with #4 Rita and #7 Katrina), Wilma was the twenty-second storm, thirteenth hurricane, sixth major hurricane, fourth Category 5 hurricane, and the second-most destructive hurricane of the 2005 season.

This was coverage at Katrina landfall... the hope was that the core being to the east would help (the west side of a hurricane is less powerful). But with the engineering failure all bets were off.

Hurricane Katrina landfall coverage meteorologists David Bernard & Bryan Norcross. WFOR CBS 4 Miami
Aug 29, 2013
David Bernard

I was broadcasting from Miami with Bryan Norcross. At the time, the idea was that the core of the hurricane passed east of New Orleans. Therefore the storm surge was not going to be high enough in Lake Pontchartrain to overtop the levees. We knew that St. Bernard and Plaquemines would be a different story. However, we didn't anticipate, nor did anyone else, that there would be a massive structural failure system wide.

Goes to show how little you know if the "fog of war" until you know.

Don't fu*k with Ida. Check on your friends and family, this popped up quickly.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

I remember watching Katrina and those few short hours of relief that NO had dodged the worse of it. Except, of course, they hadn't, as became evidence with the failed engineering.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Butterfly Bilderberg

Post by Butterfly Bilderberg »

Good morning, Fogbowers! Hurricane Ida evacuee here. :biggrin:

This storm gained strength so rapidly I decided yesterday afternoon to take an impromptu road trip with my cocker spaniel, Zoey, and a New Orleans friend who doesn't have transportation. My home is on the North Shore of Lake Pontchartrain, which is higher ground than New Orleans. My home is at 25 feet above sea level (although I carry flood insurance, just in case). The risk for me is falling trees; my little half acre of paradise is wooded and one of the loblolly pine trees is if-y. On Thursday I finally received HOA permission to have that one removed, but as of today it is still standing.

We left at 7:00 PM on Friday and drove to Jackson and found a hotel that accepts pets. Our ultimate destination is Memphis, where I lived as a child. Less traffic than heading to Houston. Although in the path of Ida, the storm will be downgraded to a tropical depression by the time it reaches Tennessee.

I plan to visit the Memphis Blues Museum. Those of y'all who know me personally are very much aware of my love for the Blues, particularly Delta blues. After following the Mississippi Blues Trail to Clarksdale last autumn, I look forward to furthering my education on the evolution of this amazing music genre.

Cross your fingers or say a prayer or send good juju to my house. I'd really love to return to find it intact. Most important, pray for those who cannot evacuate for lack of funds, transportation, etc.

BB

P.S. Furniture can be replaced. Family heirlooms cannot, so I had time to pack the family photos and irreplaceable items.
In my Twitter feed, this tweet to @jsolomonReports: "on behalf of everyone, thanks for being the giant retard that you are."
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Best wishes for a fallen tree free outcome! :bighug:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pi ... d-n1277771
Pilot and fiancée rescue 17 trapped in Tennessee flood
Joel Boyers had just finished helping his fiancée earn her pilot's license when a woman called to ask if he could help her family.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Butterfly Bilderberg wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:24 am Good morning, Fogbowers! Hurricane Ida evacuee here. :biggrin:

This storm gained strength so rapidly I decided yesterday afternoon to take an impromptu road trip with my cocker spaniel, Zoey, and a New Orleans friend who doesn't have transportation. My home is on the North Shore of Lake Pontchartrain, which is higher ground than New Orleans. My home is at 25 feet above sea level (although I carry flood insurance, just in case). The risk for me is falling trees; my little half acre of paradise is wooded and one of the loblolly pine trees is if-y. On Thursday I finally received HOA permission to have that one removed, but as of today it is still standing.

We left at 7:00 PM on Friday and drove to Jackson and found a hotel that accepts pets. Our ultimate destination is Memphis, where I lived as a child. Less traffic than heading to Houston. Although in the path of Ida, the storm will be downgraded to a tropical depression by the time it reaches Tennessee.

I plan to visit the Memphis Blues Museum. Those of y'all who know me personally are very much aware of my love for the Blues, particularly Delta blues. After following the Mississippi Blues Trail to Clarksdale last autumn, I look forward to furthering my education on the evolution of this amazing music genre.

Cross your fingers or say a prayer or send good juju to my house. I'd really love to return to find it intact. Most important, pray for those who cannot evacuate for lack of funds, transportation, etc.

BB

P.S. Furniture can be replaced. Family heirlooms cannot, so I had time to pack the family photos and irreplaceable items.
Did you wave at me on the way through? Have breakfast at Bravo?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Butterfly Bilderberg wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:24 am Good morning, Fogbowers! Hurricane Ida evacuee here. :biggrin:

:bighug:
ImageImageImage x4
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Prayers and juju going up for BB’s tree and all those in the hurricane’s path. :pray:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Google maps shows I 10 traffic very slow westbound from Baton Rouge almost to Beaumont and from New Orleans eastbound to Mobile.

Happily Ida is still many hours away so evacuees have time to get away.

Having spent hours in the Rita evacuation from Houston I strongly sympathize with them.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

tek

Post by tek »

Not gonna be fun from here on out..
d-1.jpg
d-1.jpg (286.4 KiB) Viewed 507 times
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

tek wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:59 pm Not gonna be fun from here on out..

d-1.jpg
10 is a clusterfuck on a good day.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

And now the gasoline supplies are running low.

When we (our daughters, older SIL and us) evacuated for Rita we were running out of gas about 2/3rds of the way to our SIL's parents' house in San Antonio. Luckily our SIL's parents came to our rescue bringing us gas.

Return to “General Stuff”