Allen West

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: Allen West

Post by Phoenix520 »

Off Topic
Mine has a feature I like - BSM (sounds naughty, no? I still giggle sometimes) or Blind Side Mirror. ‘BSM’ glows in yellow on the mirror on the appropriate side when there’s a car in my blind spot. It’s saved my bacon twice recently when a quick glance didn’t catch a car coming up fast but the light alerted me in time.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

I love that feature. We've owned Subarus continually since 1989. :thumbsup:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

When my sweetie passed away in early 2018, I was so glad that he had decided on buying a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport the previous year. I sold my 2012 Santa Fe to a niece and kept the newer Santa Fe with all the great new safety features.

We’ve come a long way from the introduction of seat belts. I remember Dad’s Ford station wagon in the early ‘60s which had a single shared seat belt for the two passengers in the third row bench seat.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

My 2019 Jeep does that too

also a Back up Cam....LOVE LOVE LOVE it
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

How did I get through life without a backup cam. I used to parallel park in Evanston with a pickup truck. How much easier it would be now and is up in my current local, where I rarely parallel park. It's also helpful for checking how straight you are in the parking lot, if you happen to be really anal about those things, not that I know about those things.

And now.. I will tell on myself.

:hijacked:
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

northland10 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:06 pm How did I get through life without a backup cam. I used to parallel park in Evanston with a pickup truck. How much easier it would be now and is up in my current local, where I rarely parallel park. It's also helpful for checking how straight you are in the parking lot, if you happen to be really anal about those things, not that I know about those things.

And now.. I will tell on myself.

:hijacked:
I don't know how I ever lived without it!!!
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Props to the officer arresting her. I'd have cuffed and stuffed her long before she did. I quit trying to keep up with how many times she failed the FSTs.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

:yeahthat:

NSW would have been show license, have you consumed alcohol in the last 24 hours? one continuous blow into this tube until I say stop...
Reads unit, if legal, decide if needs a field drug test, if yes swab and test, if no.. done in 2 minutes. Plus 1 minute for a warning re: keeping in lane, else a ticket (3-5 minutes).

All of the subjective walking, balancing etc is..... subjective... :shrug:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Oh wow. I've never been stopped (except on the Taconic as mentioned above 40 yrs ago) and don't watch reality police shows, I'd be scared just by the visual of all of that with the cars whizzing by. Do they allow for that? Like do you have to pass all of those tests?

Sugar, it was clear when she stopped putting her feet heel-toe that she was failing. Is it usual to get confused even if sober? Wondering how these tests usually go, like the flashlight thing went on a long time. Would have been irritated by that and clearly, she was too. From watching it, couldn't tell if she was drunk or not. It seemed sketchy she couldn't listen to instructions like blow in the balloon until it clicks, or keep your hands at your sides while raising your foot 6 inches and counting 1-one thousand, etc. She seems like a bright woman so hard to understand how she couldn't follow them. As you watched it what were your reactions? If you don't mind my asking, it's just really foreign.

Last question: Any advice on how to (or how not to) handle something like that? Besides not drinking. :P

:lol: Had one glass of wine with my haircut today (the place is in the building, just rode the elevator), that was the first glass of wine since my last haircut 5 weeks ago. Happy not to be stopped for Riding The Elevator Under The Influence (REUI)!

She is going to be so humiliated. Angela is breaking news all over Texas.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Way to humiliate your wife, Allen West.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

orlylicious wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:23 pm Oh wow. I've never been stopped (except on the Taconic as mentioned above 40 yrs ago) and don't watch reality police shows, I'd be scared just by the visual of all of that with the cars whizzing by. Do they allow for that? Like do you have to pass all of those tests?

Sugar, it was clear when she stopped putting her feet heel-toe that she was failing. Is it usual to get confused even if sober? Wondering how these tests usually go, like the flashlight thing went on a long time. Would have been irritated by that and clearly, she was too. From watching it, couldn't tell if she was drunk or not. It seemed sketchy she couldn't listen to instructions like blow in the balloon until it clicks, or keep your hands at your sides while raising your foot 6 inches and counting 1-one thousand, etc. She seems like a bright woman so hard to understand how she couldn't follow them. As you watched it what were your reactions? If you don't mind my asking, it's just really foreign.

Last question: Any advice on how to (or how not to) handle something like that? Besides not drinking. :P
Yes, the stops are made on city streets and highways and where ever the violations occur. She put herself and the officer in unnecessary danger by stopping in the center lane but at that point the officer had no choice but to approach the vehicle. Under normal circumstances, a cop wouldn't have the subject keep driving to another street, but then again, most drivers don't stop in the middle of traffic. There is no "pass/fail" on the tests. They're called clues, cues or indications, and are graded by how many steps to each test and how/if the steps are performed. For instance, the HGN test (I think that's what you're calling the flashlight thing?) is the "follow the pen with your eyes only without moving your head" and has 6 clues total. It's scored by how many of the clues are present. 4/6 is probable cause for BAC at or above .08. I always did this one first because it's impossible for the person to control, or argue about, or even be aware they are doing. If the clues were positive I moved on to the next FST. The decision point on the HGN is 4/6 but the video isn't clear enough to see but 2 of the 6 clues.

The field sobriety tests were developed by the NHSTA and are taught and used uniformly across the US. The walk and turn and one leg stand are designed to evaluate the driver's ability to multi-task with mental and physical performance and ability to remember and follow instructions. She crashed and burned miserably on both of those tasks. I have performed well over 1000 WAT tests and I have NEVER had anyone walk back and forth that many times without stopping. I can't off the top of my head remember anyone who didn't at least try to put heel to toe either. The flailing arms is pretty normal, but it's also a clue for the test. The decision point on that one is 2/8. I would have given her a 5/8 at minimum.

The one leg stand was the most problematic for me because there's no real way to know how physical condition might affect it. The officer did everything else by the book during the tests, including reading the actual instructions from a piece of paper, so I am going to assume she did the standard "do you have any physical limitations that would prevent you from performing these tests" questioning during the gap in the video. We know that, at some point, she was told of an aneurysm so that assumption seems reasonable. That being said, I have bad knees, but not bad enough that I consider it a physical disability in the context of being able to stand on one leg. That's no guarantee my knee wouldn't buckle during the test though. Same for a bad back or hip or whatever. But she took the test and didn't do well on it. The decision point is 2/4. I would give her minimum 3/4.

The PBA testing just pissed me off. I absolutely HATED getting one of those passive resistance types that thought puffing into the mouthpiece was going to give a .00 reading. Or making a big production out of puffing their cheeks out like Louie Armstrong and then barely breathing into the portable. Or putting something in their mouth. None of those things work, people! The arresting officer gave her one more chance to blow than I would have. I usually stopped at 3 tries before giving up.

The video with the attorney has some problems too. He seems to imply the felony charge was a result of the FST results, but my understanding is that it is because she had the baby in the car. Nothing to do with the tests other than her getting arrested. Watch the rabbit, not the hat. And I would love to hear more about this magical 80 hour alcohol test. 80 hours? Seriously? You said that with a straight face? Alcohol is metabolized at the rate of about 1 oz/hour, so even if she had been falling down drunk I can't imagine a test picking that up over 3 days later.

Other than the best advice of not drinking and driving, limit your intake to one drink per hour. It's not a guarantee of staying below the legal limit, and a .05 can be just as dangerous on the road as a .10, but it might (or might not) save you from a very risky, expensive, troublesome DUI charge.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

What's incredible about this whole thing is that Allen West making that video is what blew this up into a bigger story. Granted, his wife would (probably) still be likely to lose in court on a drunk driving charge, but that's a one-day story at best. "Wife of former Texas GOP chairman arrested for DUI" is the headline, and 99.99999% of the time there's no follow-up on something like that. Thanks to Allen calling for heads to roll and blah blah blah, now it's a second- and third-day story, and reporters are probably going to be on top of any courthouse developments, thus compounding the embarrassment. It's just an unbelievable PR own-goal.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:07 am Yes, the stops are made on city streets and highways and where ever the violations occur. She put herself and the officer ...
:snippity:
Thank you for a very informative "behind the scenes" look at DUI stops. That's a world I've never been exposed to, as I've never had a police officer ask when I last had a drink, or had to blow in a tube or do a field sobriety test. It sure sounds like West's wife was way over the line in terms of impairment.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Ol' Allen was counting on the New Reality - if you lie about something long enough and loudly enough, people will deny the evidence of their own senses. He thought that if he makes enough noise, people will ignore the reality of the video.

And who knows? It might work out for him yet. :shrug:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:04 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:07 am Yes, the stops are made on city streets and highways and where ever the violations occur. She put herself and the officer ...
Thank you for a very informative "behind the scenes" look at DUI stops. That's a world I've never been exposed to, as I've never had a police officer ask when I last had a drink, or had to blow in a tube or do a field sobriety test. It sure sounds like West's wife was way over the line in terms of impairment.
I used to work 2nd shift at a midtown hospital in KC, and my route home took me through the entertainment district just as the bars were closing, so I got pulled over all. the. damn. time and the second thing they'd ask me was how much had I drank that night (first being why did they pull me over). They'd tell me I was speeding, or weaving. One officer told me I ran a red light. I looked over my shoulder and said, "that light?" which was flashing (yellow) because almost all the city traffic lights went to flashing after 1a.m.

I always kept my ID lanyard on so I could hold it up to the officer and tell him I just got off my hospital shift at St Luke's. They'd tell me to be careful and walked back to their car. I was only ticketed (for speeding) once and I don't think I was speeding. I think she was saving face.

So, long story short, I got nuthin'. But it's good to know how it works.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Foggy wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:06 am Ol' Allen was counting on the New Reality - if you lie about something long enough and loudly enough, people will deny the evidence of their own senses. He thought that if he makes enough noise, people will ignore the reality of the video.

And who knows? It might work out for him yet. :shrug:
Deep Fake video in 3...2...
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
filly

Post by filly »

Sugar, thanks for the very informative post. The 80 hour super test seemed absurd to me. I was hoping FRP would tell us if he uses it....
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:04 am
Sugar, thank you so much. :bighug: I'm with JPC, never been around that world and you explained it beautifully about clues, how many per test and the HGN test (you were right). Fascinating read. Was also surprised about the "80 hours" test results, from biology remember the metabolization rate and the 1 drink per hour (based on weight) "rule of thumb". You provided an incredible explanation, so clear and easy to understand. Someday will look up those tests since you mention they're national and give them a try -- they looked easy enough and as you noted, the officer read the instructions and even demonstrated. Even with some medical issues, it would be easy enough to follow the instructions. She seemed annoyed and entitled and "above it" which was not helpful. Will be interesting to see what the test results say, but even if negative, that officer seemed professional, courteous and sure seemed to have probable cause. What a rough job, so much admiration for peace officers.

One of the Trumpers in a tweet yesterday with the COVID medical release form whined:
SeabezVet @seabezvet 20h
Let’s make everyone who buys alcohol sign the same one. You know, so if they ever get sick or kill someone else they assume all financial responsibility.
My reply is kind of my life policy, works in almost every circumstance. It's been consistent and easy to adjudicate. Anyone can do what they want to themselves, but if they endanger or hurt others, big penalties:
OrlyLicious @Orly_licious 15h
I'm for maximum penalties for drunk drivers. I believe you can do anything to yourself, but if you put hurt others, penalties should be severe. You can't catch alcoholism. The GOP says it's the "party of responsibility". I think getting vaccinated is responsible & patriotic.

So typical from the "party of responsibility":

Allen West, to humiliate his wife further, posted the police video and press conference on his Twitter feed. Also an article from a sycophant.

Looked into Javier Manjarres, what a shock. Shock! as Realist might say.
Javier Manjarres ordered to pay $25K in defamation suit vs. Florida GOP official
Peter Schorsch
May 18, 2021

GOP Committeeman Richard DeNapoli said Manjarres lobbed false 'stolen valor' claims at DeNapoli and violated a previous settlement.
Javier Manjarres is taking another loss — this time in court — after a judge ordered him to pay $25,000 for violating a settlement agreement with Republican Party of Florida State Committeeman Richard DeNapoli.The newest judgment dates back to a 2014 defamation lawsuit DeNapoli filed against Manjarres after Manjarres published multiple articles alleging DeNapoli was lying about serving in the military. Ironically, Manjarres faced accusations of exaggerating his own military record during his 2018 congressional run.

After the 2014 posts, DeNapoli sued for defamation. After wrangling in court for a few years, the case wrapped with a confidential settlement agreement in 2016. That should have been the end of it, but DeNapoli reopened the suit in 2018 and accused Manjarres of breaking the settlement agreement by continuing to attack DeNapoli on Twitter and in now-deleted posts to Manjarres’ website. That was a violation of the settlement, DeNapoli argued, which barred Manjarres from publishing negative comments about DeNapoli.

This past February, a 12th Judicial Circuit judge agreed, and ordered Manjarres to pay $25,000 for that violation. “Defendant, Javier Manjarres, violated the settlement agreement on multiple occasions,” wrote Judge Andrea McHugh, citing several exhibits provided in the case as well as Manjarres’ own answers during deposition. “On at least one occasion, Defendant Manjarres admitted to violating paragraph 1 of the mediated settlement agreement by referring to Plaintiff in a publication he personally authored and intentionally published. The nature of the publication was damaging to Plaintiff and Defendant Manjarres offered no exculpatory or mitigating explanation for his intentional breach of the mediated settlement agreement. The Court finds this act constitutes ‘bad faith’ on the part of the Defendant.”

When Manjarres published his original articles, he called on DeNapoli to produce his DD-214, a form that describes a person’s military rank and their reason for being discharged. He called DeNapoli’s claims about serving in the Marines a “lie,” and alleged DeNapoli “had told several friends that he dropped out during boot camp.” DeNapoli did produce records showing he had a brief stint in the Marines before being injured, and said he never sought to exaggerate his service record. Ironically, when Manjarres was accused of doing the exact same thing in 2018, Manjarres refused to release his own DD-214, despite a challenge from his GOP primary opponent. Manjarres went on to lose that Republican primary contest. DeNapoli currently serves as a state committeeman for the Broward County Republican Party after winning reelection last year.
https://floridapolitics.com/archives/43 ... tion-suit/

Javier has a nasty Twitter account, thought of reminding his audience of his vile past but for now, passed because he's scum and not worth it. These people are loathsome. "Journalist".

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
raison de arizona

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

As always Sugar, incredibly informative.

I rarely have a drink, but even stone sober, I wouldn't be able to pass many of the roadside tests, mostly because of the persistent vertigo. I also have lung capacity issues and cannot blow into those tubes long enough without hacking.

So, I've been informed/advised by a PO friend (back in my home town) that the best thing to do is to go ahead and just ask for the blood test explaining the vertigo, etc. Would that be the best thing to do?
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
wavey davey

Post by wavey davey »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:36 pm
That field sobriety test was totally botched. Here's how it should have been done:

Image Image ImageImage
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

jez wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:51 pm As always Sugar, incredibly informative.

I rarely have a drink, but even stone sober, I wouldn't be able to pass many of the roadside tests, mostly because of the persistent vertigo. I also have lung capacity issues and cannot blow into those tubes long enough without hacking.

So, I've been informed/advised by a PO friend (back in my home town) that the best thing to do is to go ahead and just ask for the blood test explaining the vertigo, etc. Would that be the best thing to do?
Absolutely. That's why asking about any disability issues are included in the original questioning. If you have a wooden leg or something, a cop needs to know that up front and will document it. Depending on what it is and how it might affect your balance, they can either forego the test or tell you to do the best you can and document the results with the disability in mind. An aneurysm has nothing to do with balance or ability to follow directions as far as I know.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:54 pm
Complete bullshit.
You haven't showed anything.
There were no breathalyzer results you fuckwit. She couldn't perform even that simple action.
You contradict yourself by quoting innocent until proven guilty and then slamming Garcia for saying "suspicion." So which is it?
There ARE no breathalyzer results you fuckwit.
raison de arizona

Dallas PD ain’t messing around, apparently.
My wife is being ordered to take daily breathalyzer tests and a tracking device placed in her car, a clear violation of due process.
Full FB post complete with (much) whining, lots of problematic statements in here:
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Current Politics”