Hijack This Thread

dan1100

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by dan1100 »

Anybody ever have a client threaten their probation officer's mother?

Didn't think so...

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:39 pm :biggrin: I have my VPN configured to various near European VPN servers.
Yeah, but I'm not VPN'ing. I'm direct connecting from South Florida on Comcast (which I guess means I'm supposed to speak Espaniol :? )
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Oi. My life...
1 person injured in drive-by shooting at apartments (Condos, not apartments) on Winkler Ave in Fort Myers

Fort Myers Police Department is responding to what detectives are being told was a drive-by a shooting with one person injured at an apartment complex on Winkler Avenue in Fort Myers Thursday.

According to FMPD, police are at the scene where a woman was grazed on the back of the leg by a bullet at the Village Creek community. Investigators have yellow tape up at a section of the complex.

The gunshot victim was taken to the hospital for treat of her non-life-threatening injury.

There are no current suspects named in the investigation at this time.

Investigators say the shooter got away in a gray or silver Hyundai 4-door vehicle.

There is no further information at this time.

Avoid the area if possible.
This is my life. The police would not let me leave for hours. But it's not a domestic dispute -- I got that much from the investigating officers.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Another 12 hour day complete batshittery. I'm actually her supervisor but have no intention of actually supervising her beyond telling her to get off the phone or hem these pants or press that shirt. I did actually tell her today to hang up the phone after she spent 15 minutes talking to a phone scammer!!!!! I told her to hang up, and by talking to him all she did was guarantee she'd have another 100 calls just like it. She said she had to keep them on the line so she could get them to identify themselves to her so she could pass the info onto James and have them put in federal prison. She has to talk to them to get their phone number so "her team" can "track the scammers" and arrest them. I told her to just give James the number they called from. She looked truly confused when I said she already had their number on caller ID. She has this sort of whistle/chirp on her phone and she gets probably 50+ calls a day. That's how many I hear and I'm in and out of the room. She called me in a panic this afternoon when they told her she didn't have call tomorrow and wanted to know if she'd done something to get fired. Nope, they just don't need her tomorrow, but she says she's depending on this job to pay her light bill and go to the grocery. She got hired knowing she would only be called in when needed to help me and I don't need her for the next few days until we start doing fittings on the rest of the cast sometime next week. She talks incessantly, heer phone rings non-stop, she's slow as Christmas and has an ancient machine that works about half the time. Every time I look over there she's messing with the tension or re-threading it or something. But I feel so damn bad for her that I can't even be rude or get onto her or anything. Fortunately, I got a "promotion" today and will get credit, if I last that long. This is the absolute most fucked up production I've ever worked on, on many levels. Gabrielle Union is one of the principals, but we haven't seen her yet. I think here scenes shoot in a coupe of weeks. Meanwhile, several of the main characters have either not showed up at all or showed up for one day and not come back. The prop master was hired almost a month after pre-production started, we get our call sheets at midnight or later, and they were ordering stuff this afternoon for scenes that shoot Saturday morning. Production doesn't bother to tell anyone that packages have arrived so even the stuff that does arrive on time sits up there for who knows how long before we get it anyway. The director had the costume designer chasing a military uniform for the last 2 days that didn't even exist at the time the story takes place. It's a goat circus.

But thanks for listening!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

It doesn't even seem like a nice gig anymore. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:04 pm It doesn't even seem like a nice gig anymore. :bighug:
I'm actually loving it as long as it's just me doing my thing with the costume designer and wardrobe guy. It's everyone else who can go suck eggs. And the CD asked me today to create a fabulous costume for a big bar scene. 2005 New York City LGBTQ ball, and his description of the costume he wants involved lots of arm waving and hand flapping and mentioned a day trip to NOLA to buy fancy fabric. And feathers. I'll hang around at least long enough for that.

I didn't even get to complaining about craft services either. No ice. In Mississippi. In July. On location filming a movie about Marine Corps boot camp. The poor cast and crew are out there marching around on the parade grounds all day and NO ICE. 3 days in and they still don't bring ice.

I'm sitting on my ass in an air conditioned office.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

So, this is The Inspection?
Image Image Image Image
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:26 pm So, this is The Inspection?
Why yes, yes it is.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

My cousin Mitzi was a DI at Parris Island and Pendleton in the 80s. :batting: We grew up on opposite sides of the country and hardly ever saw each other but I remember she dressed like a girlie girl at family gatherings when she was young. Funny to think of her barking orders.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:48 pm
Estiveo wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:26 pm So, this is The Inspection?
Why yes, yes it is.
I've heard some positive buzz.
Image Image Image Image
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

zekeb wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:23 am I use a 20 amp outlet with 15 amp circuit whenever I replace a receptacle. The 15 amp imported receptacles are too weak and many times don't hold the plug tight enough. When I worked at a hospital we were given the option, per healthcare code, to either use a green dot (read: very very expensive) receptacle or just use a 20 amp receptacle. Of course you are not permitted to switch to a 20 amp breaker if using 14 AWG wire.
Maybe one of you can explain a loopy circuit in our 1863 house:

There is a light in the ceiling at the top of the stairs, and a switch for it on the wall.

There is another at the foot of the stairs.

If you turn on the downstairs one, when you get upstairs both switch positions (on and off) leave the light on.

If the downstairs one is switched off, the upstairs one turns the light on and off as normal.

That just ties my brain in knots. I don't even understand how it's possible (beyond the obvious explanation of poltergeists.)
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

roadscholar wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:04 pm
zekeb wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:23 am I use a 20 amp outlet with 15 amp circuit whenever I replace a receptacle. The 15 amp imported receptacles are too weak and many times don't hold the plug tight enough. When I worked at a hospital we were given the option, per healthcare code, to either use a green dot (read: very very expensive) receptacle or just use a 20 amp receptacle. Of course you are not permitted to switch to a 20 amp breaker if using 14 AWG wire.

There is a light in the ceiling at the top of the stairs, and a switch for it on the wall.

If you turn on the downstairs one, when you get upstairs both switch positions (on and off) leave the light on.

If the downstairs one is switched off, the upstairs one turns the light on and off as normal.

That just ties my brain in nots. I don't even understand how it's possible (beyond the obvious explanation of poltergeists.)
Somebody replaced a three-way switch with a two-way switch? I dunno, but cool beans on the antique home.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Happy Birthday to Jesse Ventura and Linda Ronstadt.
Ne'er the twain shall meet.
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:33 pm

VERY clever!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

The imbedded YouTube explanations are fascinating as well.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

That just ties my brain in knots. I don't even understand how it's possible (beyond the obvious explanation of poltergeists.)
It could be a faulty switch or somebody may have gotten the wiring wrong. 3-way switches are frequently wired incorrectly by homeowners doing a DIY fix. There are some decent YouTube guides for troubleshooting 3-way switches that will help if you want to fix it yourself. However, if you're uncomfortable working around electricity any competent electrician should be able to sort it out fairly quickly.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Sunrise wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:22 pm
Estiveo wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:33 pm

VERY clever!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

The imbedded YouTube explanations are fascinating as well.
Impressive. Now we need to find him a GF(BF) cause he's looking kinda lonely.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Every house we have ever lived in has had one of these. This house has a light switch that controls the light and ceiling fan and has one switch at the exterior door and one on the other side of the room. The light over the foyer controlled by switches at the top and bottom of the stairs and the hall light with switches at both ends are other configurations. I just thought they were normal.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

zekeb wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:23 am

Older installations are difficult, there have been changes in wiring methods and material through the years. I wouldn’t even look at it without a meter, and ppe. The reasons are even though the breaker box ( or fuse box) may disconnect the light power, there may be other circuits in the electrical box. No way to be sure without verifying.

The first thing I look at on 3-way and/or 4-way circuits is if the toggle switch itself is marked with ON-OFF at the base. if it is marked it’s not useable as a 3-way or 4-way switch. Early on in my career I made that mistake. I bought a switch with 4 terminals in the 4-way switch bin. Took me forever before I figured out it was a Double Pole switch, (marked ON-OFF)

One of the travelers is staying hot all the time on your circuit. Most likely as noted above it would be a failed switch (one contact welded). However, other possibilities could be a jumper installed between the common and load, or failed insulation ( old cloth/cambric insulation is bad about that and sometimes just disturbing it causes it to flake off), that could cause casual contact between the common and load terminal. Old metal boxes were smaller also a pain to work in.

Regarding the other thread, I didn’t quote, I usually buy commercial spec grade switches/receptacles I don’t use 20 amp receptacles unless it’s a single circuit for dedicated equipment that requires that configuration, e.g. air compressor. Spec grade have good wiper tension usually.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

I forgot to add that a good non contact voltage tester is handy and good to have around, but doesn’t replace a quality meter. I, personally, prefer the Fluke 2AC. It’s always powered on, so can’t get a false negative reading. I just test every time I use it before and after checking. It doesn’t beep, but I have a high frequency hearing loss anyway and in factories beeping is useless anyway.
tek

Post by tek »

+1 on the Fluke 2AC.

I bought a five-pack, gave one to each of my siblings and one to my father - in an attempt to keep them from frying themselves.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

tek wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:19 am +1 on the Fluke 2AC.

I bought a five-pack, gave one to each of my siblings and one to my father - in an attempt to keep them from frying themselves.
Five packs are good, I’ve given a few away to our kids and apprentices.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Jeez-O-Pete. One step forward, two steps back on the health front involving rosacea, flesh-eating bacteria, and a trip to the emergency room.

I had a bit of rosacea on my nose; thought it was acne but it didn’t go away, so dermatologist prescribed some ointment and it was gone in a few days. A couple of weeks later, another patch of what I thought was the same thing cropped up on my forehead.

I used the same ointment but it didn’t help. I had a follow-up scheduled for the 22nd for the nose thing, and tried to get that moved up so they could look at this other thing too. Dermatologist was shut down for vacation. Meanwhile, this thing on my forehead is getting bigger and uglier. It eventually blistered up and scabbed over and us now the size of a half-dollar, but seems to be spreading at the edges.

I called around trying to get an appointment at another dermatologist, and had to drive an hour to get there. She thinks the thing on my forehead is a staph infection. She said if it’s the kind she thinks it is, it will need aggressive treatment. She prescribed both an antibiotic ointment and Bactrim.

Bactrim, it turns out, is something I’m allergic to. About five or six hours after taking it it kind of felt funny to blink. I went into the bathroom to look in the mirror, and there was all this swelling near my eyes by the bridge of my nose. I came running out, yelling, “I have to go to the ER!” My husband jabbed me with my epipen and off we went.

They gave me benadryl and a steroid and kept me for a few hours. I was still pretty swollen when I got home. I had a long late-night chat was my friend who’s a pharmacist with the FDA. She gave me some helpful things to discuss with the doctor about treatment options for the skin infection.

So now I still have this staph infection on my forehead, and I have to get a different antibiotic. I think I can still use the antibiotic ointment. I really doubt that is what caused the reaction.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Three way switch wiring schematic for those that want to follow along.

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Jeez, Maybenaut, I hate reading about this terrible thing. So glad Maybeseaux is able to help. I hope you get this over with REAL SOON. :bighug:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:

Return to “General Stuff”