Gypsies

Chilidog

Gypsies

Post by Chilidog »

I happened across this article

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/st ... thnic-slur
Bug experts are dropping the common name of a destructive insect because it’s considered an ethnic slur: the gypsy moth.

The Entomological Society of America, which oversees the common names of bugs, is getting rid of the common name of that critter and the lesser-known gypsy ant. The group this week announced that for the first time it changed a common name of an insect because it was offensive. In the past they’ve only reassigned names that weren’t scientifically accurate.
I'll be honest. I still, occasionally use the term "gypsy" in a pejorative sense. Usually in relation to scam artists.

There are a few groups of people in my area that are known for pulling scams that are often referred to as gypsies, though I don't know if they are actually Roma or not.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Gypsies

Post by RTH10260 »

cause I looked up "gypsies in the USA" especially
It is estimated that there are one million Romani people in the United States, occasionally known as American Gypsies. Though the Romani population in the United States has largely assimilated into American society, the largest concentrations are in Southern California, the Pacific Northwest, Texas and the Northeast as well as in cities such as Chicago and St. Louis.[1][2]

The largest wave of Romani immigrants came from the Balkan region in the late 19th century following the abolition of Romani slavery in 1864,[1] which occurred as the Ottoman Empire was weakening. Romani immigration to the United States has continued at a steady rate ever since, with an increase of Romani immigration occurring in the late 20th century following the collapse of communism in Central and Eastern Europe.[1]

The size of the Romani American population and the absence of a historical and cultural presence, such as the Romani have in Europe, make Americans largely unaware of the existence of the Romani as a people.[1] The term's lack of significance within the United States prevents many Romani from using the term around non-Romani: identifying themselves by nationality rather than heritage.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_Americans
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

I am fully aware that the term "gypsy" is very often used as a racial slur, but, to me, it has always just meant someone who has no fixed address and moves from place to place, not because they are poor, but because they choose to do so.

I suppose its the more romantic definition, rather than the one implied in the old joke about making "Gypsy chicken".
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

There's been discussions about the name of a breed of horse--the Gypsy Vanner. You'd think it would be easy to just go with 'Vanner', but noooooo, people want to argue about it remaining 'Gypsy'.
DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

noblepa wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:07 pm I am fully aware that the term "gypsy" is very often used as a racial slur, but, to me, it has always just meant someone who has no fixed address and moves from place to place, not because they are poor, but because they choose to do so.

I suppose its the more romantic definition, rather than the one implied in the old joke about making "Gypsy chicken".
In the old days, "Bohemian" was used to describe people (usually the artistic types) who chose to live the (assumed) freewheeling and sometimes nomadic lifestyle associated with classic gypsies of yore.
I've heard this bull before.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

DejaMoo wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:50 pm
noblepa wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:07 pm I am fully aware that the term "gypsy" is very often used as a racial slur, but, to me, it has always just meant someone who has no fixed address and moves from place to place, not because they are poor, but because they choose to do so.

In the old days, "Bohemian" was used to describe people (usually the artistic types) who chose to live the (assumed) freewheeling and sometimes nomadic lifestyle associated with classic gypsies of yore.
I resemble that remark. At least in my mind. Meanwhile, I can only call myself a bohunk. Well I use to be.
Largo al factotum.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

Let me sing...
Largo al factotum.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

DejaMoo wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:50 pm

101010 :towel:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

In England the term “pikey” is used if you want to offend.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Which brings up one of Brad Pitt's best roles - Mickey the fighting "pikey" in Snatch. This is a must see film directed and written by Guy Ritchie. His East End films hearken back to Dickens and Conan Doyle.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”