trump (convicted felon, defamer, insurrectionist, contemnor, and rapist - $537M)

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
bob

Re: trump (the former guy)

Post by bob »

Image ImageImage
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

So when I sue someone I need to retain 12 attorneys? Would 13, a Fibonacci number, impress the judge more?
Largo al factotum.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

The "suite 2A" address for the NOLA lawyer is a condo.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
One of former president Donald Trump’s golf clubs on Wednesday agreed to pay a $400,000 penalty to the state of New Jersey for overserving alcohol to a customer who later caused a fatal car crash, according to settlement documents released by the state.

Under the settlement, Trump’s golf club in Colts Neck, N.J., pleaded no contest to administrative charges that the state Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control brought in October 2019.

The Trump National Golf Club Colts Neck was charged with serving alcoholic beverages other than beer from carts on the golf course, and with serving customer Andrew Halder when he already appeared intoxicated.

Both charges were related to events on Aug. 30, 2015, when — according to police reports — Halder flipped his car on a highway on-ramp about four miles from the Trump course, causing a wreck that killed his father, Gary Halder.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

“…social medial companies…”

Legal term or typo? :lol:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Greatgrey wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:59 pm https:// twitter.com/prestonjbyrne/status/1412809255678320645
Preston Byrne @prestonjbyrne
Jul 7, 2021
The Trump lawsuit challenging Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act refers to the "Community Decency Act," which does not exist
Preston Byrne @prestonjbyrne
The complaint alleges that the 104th Congress passed this law in 1996 with a view to encouraging Facebook, which did not exist, and Zuck, who was 12 years old, to unconstitutionally censor Donald Trump - 24 years in the future
6:22 PM · Jul 7, 2021
That happens when you dismiss Rudy Giuliani and the Kraken crack team and need the second third fourth fifth rank lawyers :blackeye:

PS. please enforce the "Community Decency Act," when you see a former impotus roam the golf courses skimpily dressed
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Over/under that the citations in an MTD or order of dismissal will contain the names Loomer or Klayman?
101010 :towel:
northland10

Post by northland10 »

bob wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:59 pm
Dig deep. Papa needs a beautiful Rolls engine for his amazing plane.
bob

Post by bob »

northland10 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:08 pm Over/under that the citations in an MTD or order of dismissal will contain the names Loomer or Klayman?
I'll actually take the under. Because they are so insignificant.
Image ImageImage
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Trump's Facebook lawsuit is filed in federal court in Florida. Facebook's terms of service requires that "any claim, cause of action, or dispute you have against us" be filed in federal court in northern California or San Mateo County state court.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:34 pm
Trump's Facebook lawsuit is filed in federal court in Florida. Facebook's terms of service requires that "any claim, cause of action, or dispute you have against us" be filed in federal court in northern California or San Mateo County state court.
So if you're not a Facebook member do you have to abide by their terms of service? Oh wait, standing.
Largo al factotum.
bob

Post by bob »

zekeb wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:04 pm So if you're not a Facebook member do you have to abide by their terms of service? Oh wait, standing.
Loomer sued Facebook over its noisily baning her. Loomer argued her defamation claim wasn't related to her Facebook account.

The federal court in Florida disagreeed, and shipped the case off to California.

Loomer voluntarily dismissed her lawsuit four months later.

Bottom line: If you are suing over your Facebook account, you're suing in California.
Image ImageImage
filly

Post by filly »

Morons. Sanctions are on order but we know how that goes,
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

zekeb wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:02 pm So when I sue someone I need to retain 12 attorneys disciples? Would 13, a Fibonacci number, impress the judge more?
FIFY.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Amusingly, the lead attorney on the complaint is John P. Coale, who some will recognize as Greta Von Susteren's husband. But those of us who follow cults will also recognize him (along with his wife) as a hardcore, longtime Scientologist. They've kept a low profile about it compared to Tom Cruise, but are definitely in.

https://tonyortega.org/2015/05/27/john- ... editation/
tek

Post by tek »

IANAL, but isn't there something you have to do to claim/declare a "class" besides type it on a sheet of paper?
bob

Post by bob »

tek wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:05 pm IANAL, but isn't there something you have to do to claim/declare a "class" besides type it on a sheet of paper?
It isn't a true class action until the judge certifies the scope of the class. Class certification is a big deal; usually heavily litigated.

Some courts have rules, such as saying "Class action requested" until the class is actually certified. E.g.:
S.D. Fla. L. R. 23.1 wrote:RULE 23.1 CLASS ACTIONS
In any case sought to be maintained as a class action:

(a) The pleading shall bear next to its caption the legend “Class Action.”
(b) The pleading shall contain under a separate heading, styled “Class Action Allegations:”
(1) A reference to the portion or portions of Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 23 under which it is claimed that the suit is properly maintainable as a class action.
(2) Appropriate allegations thought to justify such claim, including, but not necessarily limited to:
(A) the size (or approximate size) and definition of the alleged class
(B) the basis upon which the plaintiff (or plaintiffs)claims
(i) to be an adequate representative of the class,or
(ii) if the class is composed of defendants, that those named as parties are adequate representatives of the class
(C) the alleged questions of law and fact claimed to be common to the class,and
(D) in actions claimed to be maintainable as class actions under Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 23(b)(3), allegations thought to support the findings required by that subdivision.
(c) In ruling on any motion by a putative class action plaintiff for a determination under Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 23(c)(1) as to whether an action is to be maintained as a class action, the Court may allow the action to be so maintained, may disallow and strike the class action allegations, or may order postponement of the determination pending discovery or such other preliminary procedures as appear to be appropriate and necessary in the
circumstances. Whenever possible, where it is held that the determination should be postponed, a date will be fixed by the Court for renewal of the motion.
But these suits will be transferred and dismissed before there's even a hearing on the class action.
Image ImageImage
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

tek wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:05 pm IANAL, but isn't there something you have to do to claim/declare a "class" besides type it on a sheet of paper?
Yeah, the big one being that the court has to certify the class and that these specific plaintiffs adequately represent the interests of the class. Rule 23 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure has a list of prerequisites that have to be met for certification:
(a) Prerequisites. One or more members of a class may sue or be sued as representative parties on behalf of all members only if:
(1) the class is so numerous that joinder of all members is impracticable;
(2) there are questions of law or fact common to the class;
(3) the claims or defenses of the representative parties are typical of the claims or defenses of the class; and
(4) the representative parties will fairly and adequately protect the interests of the class.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

There must be something I’m missing here, but why are so many lawyers willing to sign on to an apparently frivolous suit like this? Publicity? Money (assuming DFO will actually pay them)? :confuzzled:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Sunrise wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:03 pm There must be something I’m missing here, but why are so many lawyers willing to sign on to an apparently frivolous suit like this? Publicity? Money (assuming DFO will actually pay them)? :confuzzled:
They’re hoping Facebook and Twitter actually pay them.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:12 pm
Sunrise wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:03 pm There must be something I’m missing here, but why are so many lawyers willing to sign on to an apparently frivolous suit like this? Publicity? Money (assuming DFO will actually pay them)? :confuzzled:
I would think that but I have watched Klayman do these stunts all of the time. He's got to know he will lose. His reasons are publicity (and fundraising with it) and the ability to be seen harassing others.
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

northland10 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:20 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:12 pm
I would think that but I have watched Klayman do these stunts all of the time. He's got to know he will lose. His reasons are publicity (and fundraising with it) and the ability to be seen harassing others.
Are you suggesting that all the lawyers who signed on are doing so for the reasons you mention, or are you specifically referring to Klaman? If the first, I strongly question what advantage they would gain by harassing others and getting negative publicity.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”