Hijack This Thread

AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Not quite sure where to post this, so…

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... ki-airport
A US bomb from the second world war that had been buried at a Japanese airport has exploded, causing a large crater in a taxiway and the cancellation of more than 80 flights but no injuries, Japanese officials said.

Land and transport ministry officials said there were no aircraft nearby when the bomb exploded at Miyazaki airport in south-western Japan on Wednesday.

Officials said an investigation by the self-defence forces and police confirmed that the explosion was caused by a 500-pound US bomb and there was no further danger. They were determining what caused its sudden detonation.

A video recorded by a nearby aviation school showed the blast spewing pieces of asphalt into the air like a fountain. Videos broadcast on Japanese television showed a crater in the taxiway reportedly about 7 metres in diameter and 1 metre deep.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Hijack This Thread

Post by jez »

Wasn't really sure where to put this, and yes, I've been following this on TikTok.
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Columbus Division of Police is investigating what is believed to be a rug that was discovered buried in the ground in the backyard of a home in east Columbus after a series of videos went viral on TikTok.

Santry had recently started digging holes in her yard to install a fence. As she and her husband went digging the other day, they noticed something unusual.

"Back here... we dug a hole. There is a rolled-up carpet buried underground that we came across as we were digging this hole,” Santry said in a TikTok video.
https://www.10tv.com/article/news/crime ... ab27793c6e

Two cadaver dogs alerted on the spot where the rug is. Could mean it's a rug that has some blood on it, or it could be a body is rolled up in the rug that is buried a couple of feet (less than 1 meter) underground. :o :shock: :?
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Rolodex

Hijack This Thread

Post by Rolodex »

Thought about putting this in the weather thread; maybe someone knows of a better cross posting.

Anyway, this "photo" has been making the rounds on socmed. The first second I glanced at it, I thought, "AI." And indeed it is. It's incredibly obvious to my eye (and I'm an old bag who wears glasses).

Dr Rolodex went to an event without me last night and came home, telling me someone had shown him this picture and so sad, etc. I said I'd seen it and shook my head that so many people are being fooled by an AI image.This led to a conversation about whether it made any difference if it was AI or not; it's "emblematic" of the situation in the disaster areas. My take was that there are too many stupid people fooled by nonsense.

So here's what I'm wondering: does it matter if people are fooled by AI like this photo? It's a harmless "photo" (unless people are using it to con money out of people, which I haven't seen yet). What are the arguments against sharing or believing this image is real?
Screenshot 2024-10-04 at 11.34.18 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-10-04 at 11.34.18 AM.png (185.76 KiB) Viewed 381 times
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

It's fake. There are enough real photos of tragedy that we should focus on. Fake ≠ emblematic.
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I think the biggest problem with AI generated photos is the loss of credibility. A reputable person would have real photos to support their stories. If you're known to display AI generated photos, how can anyone believe anything you say?
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
Rolodex

Hijack This Thread

Post by Rolodex »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 1:33 pm I think the biggest problem with AI generated photos is the loss of credibility. A reputable person would have real photos to support their stories. If you're known to display AI generated photos, how can anyone believe anything you say?
Yep. I agree.

I think it's embarrassing for people to pass these things around like they're real. Do people care if they look dumb? I don't know. But is there something worse happening? I think it's super wrong to pass those things around, but I'm having a hard time articulating why I think that. LOL That's why I need this discussion!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

What features identify it as AI gen?

The girls eye?
The puppy?
Foreground? Background?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 1:33 pm I think the biggest problem with AI generated photos is the loss of credibility. A reputable person would have real photos to support their stories. If you're known to display AI generated photos, how can anyone believe anything you say?
As long as you profess faith in Turnip, then everything you say will be taken as gospel.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 2:27 pm What features identify it as AI gen?

The girls eye?
The puppy?
Foreground? Background?
Yes.
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:29 pm
bill_g wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 2:27 pm What features identify it as AI gen?

The girls eye?
The puppy?
Foreground? Background?
Yes.
It's not as easy to spot as Rhonda Santis.

Attachments
Rhonda Santi.jpg
Rhonda Santi.jpg (165.23 KiB) Viewed 297 times
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

:eek:

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

re above girl with puppy
Hurricane Helene Deepfakes Flooding Social Media Hurt Real People

Lars Daniel covers digital evidence and cybersecurity in life and law.
Oct 4, 2024,12:27pm EDT Updated Oct 4, 2024, 01:51pm EDT

An AI-generated image spreading across social media of a girl holding a puppy in the aftermath of ... [+]AI generated image circulating social media.
In the aftermath of Hurricane Helene, Asheville and other impacted regions were flooded with water, while fake generative AI images of destruction and human suffering flooded social media.

These doctored or faked visuals can complicate disaster response efforts, create false narratives and, above all, harm public trust in a moment when normal people are making extraordinary efforts to help one another in the midst of life and death scenarios.

In particular, two images of a distressed child holding a puppy and who appears to be trapped in floodwaters has gained traction online.

As an expert in video and photo forensics, I can say with certainty that these emotionally evocative images are highly edited or outright fake. The first image (above) bears telltale signs of a deepfake to a trained eye. Comparing it with the second image in the series (below) — in which the young girl has one too many fingers — the puppy’s muzzle has a different coloration and the boat is a different shape and color.

more at https://www.forbes.com/sites/larsdaniel ... al-people/
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

The one with the girl with too many fingers does not have too many fingers. The 'extra finger' is a fold of the puppies skin.

The rest of the story is correct though.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Dave from down under

Hijack This Thread

Post by Dave from down under »

We have the Rural Fire Service which is mostly volunteers (70K volunteers and 1K employees).
Plus Fire and rescue service (state employees).

If there is a fire either/both will attend, though RFS does most non urban fires.

If it is a bush fire they prioritise residential buildings, so your shed etc may be unprotected.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Sou ... re_Service

Finding of the RFS
Section 102 established the New South Wales Rural Fire Fighting Fund. Quarterly contributions from insurance companies, local councils and the Treasury were to continue in the same proportions as under previous legislation – 14% from the State Treasury, 73.7% from the insurance industry and 12.3% from local Councils.

NSW pop is 8.5M most are in urban
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... to-witches
Three feminist campaigners in the Netherlands want to reclaim the insult “witch” and recognise the innocent victims of Dutch witch-hunts from the 15th to the 17th centuries with a national monument.

Susan Smit, Bregje Hofstede and Manja Bedner, the chair and board members of the National Witches Monument foundation, have raised €35,000 (£29,000) for an official site of memory for about 70,000 people who died during a Satanic panic that swept Europe and the Americas.

“It’s about creating more awareness around this history of, basically, femicide,” Hofstede said. “To this day a witch is still a comic figure. In the Netherlands, every year at the carnaval, people burn effigies of witches … but there’s hardly any knowledge of the actual history of people being burned at the stake.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “General Stuff”