Religion in schools

Sam the Centipede

Religion in schools

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Rolodex wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:55 pm Written by a United Methodist clergy in Arkansas:
So, Mr Oklahoma State Superintendent of Schools, which Bible must now be taught to all students?
The Roman Catholic one? Protestant one? Those other ones?
Which translation? Jerome’s Vulgate? The king James? NIV? NRSV? CEB? Or the other hundreds of translations out there? Which one will be the “authorized” version for Oklahoma school kids? :snippity:
:o Translations?!??! :o
:fingerwag: no! :nope: no! :fingerwag: no! :nope:

The Bible should be taught using original Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek texts!

The Dead Sea Scrolls should be framed and and in each room for students to study during breaks. Advanced classes could also learn Coptic, Nabatean and Arabic to study other texts from there and from Nag Hammadi library, for a greater insight into gnostic and other Christian and Judaic thought.

Religion shouldn't be easy!
Volkonski
Verified:

Religion in schools

Post by Volkonski »

The bibles that Oklahoma wants in schools.

Oklahoma defends Bibles-in-schools proposal after report that only Trump’s might qualify

https://thehill.com/homenews/education/ ... n-walters/
Oklahoma Superintendent of Public Instruction Ryan Walters’s (R) office is defending the process for how the state will select newly mandated Bibles in classrooms after a report was released that the criteria is so narrow that essentially no Bibles qualify — besides ones endorsed by former President Trump.

The Oklahoman reported on Friday that few editions match the specific parameters the superintendent calls for in his request for proposal (RFP): a Bible that is bound by leather or material like leather, has the Pledge of Allegiance, Declaration of Independence, U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and is the New King James version of the Old and New Testament.

“The RFP on its face seems fair, but with additional scrutiny, we can see there are very few Bibles on the market that would meet these criteria, and all of them have been endorsed by former President Donald Trump,” Oklahoma Appleseed Center for Law and Justice Executive Director Colleen McCarty told the news outlet.

:snippity:

The two Bibles that Trump has endorsed, We The People Bible and God Bless the U.S.A. Bible, both meet the criteria and are sold for $90 and $60, respectively.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Religion in schools

Post by Frater I*I »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 2:55 pm The bibles that Oklahoma wants in schools.

Oklahoma defends Bibles-in-schools proposal after report that only Trump’s might qualify

Am I the only one that thinks this stinks of kickbacks.....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Resume18

Religion in schools

Post by Resume18 »

Frater I*I wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 5:08 pm
Volkonski wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 2:55 pm The bibles that Oklahoma wants in schools.

It stinks of more than that.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
DrConspiracy
Verified:

Religion in schools

Post by DrConspiracy »

There is a new edition of the God Bless the USA Bible, "The Day God Intervened" edition. It has those words embossed on the cover, along with Trump's name, former title and the date of the failed assassination attempt.
DrConspiracy
Verified:

Religion in schools

Post by DrConspiracy »

Resume18 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 5:15 pm
Frater I*I wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 5:08 pm

It stinks of more than that.
Financial disclosures indicate Trump has gotten $300,000 royalties on the Bible sale so far. In depth article at the Oklahoman.

'Trump Bible' one of few that meet Walters' criteria for Oklahoma classrooms.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Religion in schools

Post by zekeb »

I cannot believe they would be allowed to teach religion in public schools. A particular religion, no less. Has no one challenged this?
Largo al factotum.
Rolodex

Religion in schools

Post by Rolodex »

As I saw on the xitter - so, putting bibles in schools will teach kids to be good citizens (or something). Interesting that churches are full of bibles and seems like there's a lot of sexual predators and child rapists there.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

Return to “Religion and Politics”