Bill_G, retired, affluence of effluent, and errata

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

You know that great big faucet in Canada Trump was talking about? It's in Oregon, and we ain't telling him. The Rain Festival Returneth.

Time to sort through the jackets and hats. Oil the boots. Close the windows. Find that stack of Sudoku you have around here someplace. Furnace filter .... don't forget the filter. Check the larder for wine, cheese, crackers. Batteries for the remote. Leaf blower. Chain saw. Check the premix fuel and bar oil. Spare chain. Close up the front porch.

Maybe start making a list ...
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

As I recall, someone else proposed piping the Columbia down to California. This was maybe 15 to 20 years ago. Just like his fascist ideas of making Italy America great, Trump isn't the first one to come up with this.
Largo al factotum.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

This video has the kind of graphic art I was going for. Didn't quite make it! But it's still good to see other people's excellent work.

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Post by Foggy »

Awesomeness. :shock:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

COOL10!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Very cool! I love that kind of stuff.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Another day with four hours of driving for an hour's work. It also means lots of FM radio time listening to whatever is in range. Today it was a crystal clear country station that liked to mix it up. No decade untouched. Today they played Anne Murray. I haven't heard her in 40 years. I don't know. Long time. Still love this song.

bill_g

Post by bill_g »

My sister is alive. Thank you Lord. Thank you. Thank you.

I've been running back and forth to Tillamook this week listening to country songs that evoke strong memories and tears while my sister in Boise has been going through a series of surgeries as her doctor husband feeds us the play by play by group text. I couldn't read them at work. It just triggered my ptsd. A simple procedure turns into a second and then a third to take care of problems. Shades of vuja dey for me. Not something I want to go through again.

I mean I was triggered hard every night when I got home. Get the mail. Feed the cat. Open the door so he can play with his pal. Toss dinner in the microwave. Read BIL's texts. Cry. Get drunk. Take a few tokes. Smoke too much. Wonder what's next. Hence all the CSN&Y videos last night. Just put on the headphones, and go back to the 70's when none of this shit was happening. When we were all young. When the biggest problem we had was school clothes and getting the car running. Again.

They released sister today. Pain level at a 2. She can walk, sit, and lay down without added pain. Each hour seems to improve her. She's exhausted. Glad to be home eating food she can stand. BIL had to put in some hours at his practice. So, we got to talk for a couple hours. Rant about medical care without him around to defend it.

Damn. Some nurses are just so hard about pain management. Everybody is a junkie looking for a high. And then when the doctor says there really was a problem and she really was in pain, they are still reluctant to give her enough to get the pain to zero. I went through the same thing with Barbara.

Maddening.

Better now. Stress gone. Phew.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:

Awful, but glad it turned out okay.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Great news to hear your sis is recovering!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:thumbsup:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Not to continuing the JD Vance thread jack there, so...I'm a big cilantro fan. There's a reason some people taste soap. I don't. I can't describe the flavor but I'd have it on almost everything savory.

https://www.britannica.com/story/why-do ... ome-people
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:38 pm Not to continuing the JD Vance thread jack there, so...I'm a big cilantro fan. There's a reason some people taste soap. I don't. I can't describe the flavor but I'd have it on almost everything savory.

Thanks for that. Even my own kids love it. I grow lots of Italian parsley, but they yawn at it. They don't like my oregano, thyme, rosemary, or celery either. Same with the neighbors. Some like what I grow, and others don't. And those that don't, seem to love cilantro.

I've known for a while there were two camps on this. Now I've learned there is a genetic basis for it. It's innate to us. Super.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:38 pm Not to continuing the JD Vance thread jack there, so...I'm a big cilantro fan. There's a reason some people taste soap. I don't. I can't describe the flavor but I'd have it on almost everything savory.

Concur, I love cilantro, especially on my home made carnitas tacos! (Flour tortillas only!)
Image Image Image Image
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Estiveo wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:53 pm

Concur, I love cilantro, especially on my home made carnitas tacos! (Flour tortillas only!)
I will put the teeniest bit of cilantro on a carnita. A little bit of the green sauce. Some onions. A squeeze of lime. On double corn tortillas tht spent some time on the grill.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I like both jicama and cilantro. Since I had my deck back this year I grew, in large pots, dill, parsley, mint, oregano, basil, and rosemary. Tried to find cilantro, but couldn't find it. Next year, for sure. I got a late start this year.

I'm planning to make both pesto with the basil and chimichurri with the parsley.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:03 pm I like both jicama and cilantro. Since I had my deck back this year I grew, in large pots, dill, parsley, mint, oregano, basil, and rosemary. Tried to find cilantro, but couldn't find it. Next year, for sure. I got a late start this year.

I'm planning to make both pesto with the basil and chimichurri with the parsley.
Cilantro seeds were on the displays this year along with other LatinX favorites probably because of the large population here. There's always seed catalogs. Territorial seed will have it for sure. They have five varieties!
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

It’s a gene. I have the cilantro-tastes-like-soap gene.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

So happy to hear that your sister is doing better. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

:bighug: :bighug:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:53 pm It’s a gene. I have the cilantro-tastes-like-soap gene.
As do I...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Post by Foggy »

I'll trade you both for my alcoholic gene ... :batting:

You can split it, the more the merrier drunker.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Foggy wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 3:12 pm I'll trade you both for my alcoholic gene ... :batting:

You can split it, the more the merrier drunker.
Already got one of those.... ;)
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

On another note, I have asparagus pee AND do I know it.

https://udel.edu/~mcdonald/mythasparagusurine.html
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I've read somewhere around 17% of the population has the anti-cilantro gene. Which surprised me when there are dishes across the spectrum in restaurants which use cilantro as an ingredient.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”