Arizona behaving badly and otherwise

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Richer… :lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I’m confused about the lawsuit Richer filed. I read it as he was the one who sued to get the 100 k voters off the rolls. So he lost the case but is happy about it. Do I read this as the lawsuit being his duty as Recorder to file, but basically just the fastest way to get a decision? In the suit he says that according to law those voters were not eligible.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Post by Foggy »

I think according to law those voters were not eligible, but they were mostly long-term voters who had done nothing wrong, and he didn't want to be responsible for denying the franchise to 100K voters. He said the vast majority were US citizens for certain. So he felt he had a duty to bring it to the court's attention. Besides, better to do it this way than to keep his fingers crossed and stay silent about it and hope some MAGAt didn't start screaming about it after the election. This way, it's all cleaned up and ready for prime time.

I think ... :roll:
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Sometimes you need to file a case that you might want to lose to get the clarity that is needed.

Like that there was a case in Western Australia that the government funded the appeal by a person convicted under a WA law (lobster fishing), to be sure that the law was just.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

That's my read too. He was doing a kindness and was working towards the benefit of those potentially disenfrancised, and did it without fireworks or charade while he still could. It's too bad his constituents decided he was not worthy enough to serve them any longer. I think they cut off their noses despite their faces.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

bill_g wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:55 pm That's my read too. He was doing a kindness and was working towards the benefit of those potentially disenfrancised, and did it without fireworks or charade while he still could. It's too bad his constituents decided he was not worthy enough to serve them any longer. I think they cut off their noses despite to spite their faces.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Thanks, all !

So, the question arises, why didn't he file something to keep them _on_ the roles, if that's what he wanted? I guess the answer is going to be that it doesn't work that way.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Post by Foggy »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:21 pm ... why didn't he file something to keep them _on_ the roles, if that's what he wanted?
Because he believed the law meant they were ineligible, so he argued what he thought was the law. But he's happy to be proved wrong.

:popcorn:
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:21 pm Thanks, all !

So, the question arises, why didn't he file something to keep them _on_ the roles, if that's what he wanted? I guess the answer is going to be that it doesn't work that way.
Someone had to take the position that they weren't eligible, and SCoAZ was more likely to defer to SoS, so Richer got to play Devil's Advocate. But they can't tell the court that.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:44 pm I think according to law those voters were not eligible, but they were mostly long-term voters who had done nothing wrong, and he didn't want to be responsible for denying the franchise to 100K voters. He said the vast majority were US citizens for certain. So he felt he had a duty to bring it to the court's attention. Besides, better to do it this way than to keep his fingers crossed and stay silent about it and hope some MAGAt didn't start screaming about it after the election. This way, it's all cleaned up and ready for prime time.

I think ... :roll:
That's my interpretation. It was the right thing to do, which is why it's crappy he was voted out.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:34 pm
p0rtia wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:21 pm Thanks, all !

Someone had to take the position that they weren't eligible, and SCoAZ was more likely to defer to SoS, so Richer got to play Devil's Advocate. But they can't tell the court that.
Zactly.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Because he does the right thing is why he was voted out…

Too many people want the wrong thing to happen :(

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”