Poor Ol' Rooster

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, so maybe it's a good thing I didn't get to go boogie boarding last month, and I still haven't found an over-70 touch football league in Raleigh, and my application to join the British infantry was rather rudely rejected (bastards), and all these things happen for a reason, which is a lot of happy horseshit. Anyway, I think I get frequent flyer miles.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by AndyinPA »

An old one: Sometimes when it rains, it pours.

:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:37 am So now the obvious question is, what costume do you wear to the surgery center on Halloween? It's too bad Slim moved to New Mexico, or maybe I could pay to fly her up here and make some disgusting fake bloody bandages and stuff ... and I have a crutch to lean upon. An eye patch, I think that's mandatory.

I'm always open to suggestions, y'know. :batting:
Yeah, I think the standard Holloween Pirate Costumerie involves a one legged human not a one armed chicken.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by keith »

keith wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 2:17 am
Foggy wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:37 am So now the obvious question is, what costume do you wear to the surgery center on Halloween? It's too bad Slim moved to New Mexico, or maybe I could pay to fly her up here and make some disgusting fake bloody bandages and stuff ... and I have a crutch to lean upon. An eye patch, I think that's mandatory.

I'm always open to suggestions, y'know. :batting:
Yeah, I think the standard Holloween Pirate Costumerie involves a one legged human not a one armed chicken.
Edit: On second thought maybe you could just pour a bottle of "Buffalo Wing Sauce" over the good arm and glue a few corn ships to your chest?
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

You need a quick change disguise a la Superman. How about a black mask and a bat cape? Minimalism is “in” this year.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
jemcanada2

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by jemcanada2 »

:bighug: :bighug:

Sorry you need surgery again, Foggy!
p0rtia

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug: :heart:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Maybenaut »

:pirate:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Thanks, ladies. It's not fair. I've had so many surgeries already. This is my fifth major surgery in 17 months. I'm very unhappy about this thing.

This is really going to be hard on my wife, too. I'm so lucky to have her helping me through it, but I hate to put anything additional on her plate, especially during the height of insurance season. I'm practicing driving one-handed, so as to lessen the burden on her. Can't really use the left arm anyway.

The whole thing sucks, and I have 43 days to feel bad about it before it happens. And then 12 weeks of recovery afterward. But the alternative is to be a one-armed man.

Just gotta buck up and do this thing. :boxing:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Frater I*I »

Foggy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:32 pm Thanks, ladies. It's not fair. I've had so many surgeries already. This is my fifth major surgery in 17 months. I'm very unhappy about this thing.

This is really going to be hard on my wife, too. I'm so lucky to have her helping me through it, but I hate to put anything additional on her plate, especially during the height of insurance season. I'm practicing driving one-handed, so as to lessen the burden on her. Can't really use the left arm anyway.

The whole thing sucks, and I have 43 days to feel bad about it before it happens. And then 12 weeks of recovery afterward. But the alternative is to be a one-armed man.

Just gotta buck up and do this thing. :boxing:
They will make you better, faster, stronger....they have the technology....

Or they will just screw up again, and your arm will still not work...

The medical industry in America is the only one that you are forced to pay for a product that doesn't work....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by neonzx »

Lesson learned then. Don't let the children play American smashup football. Soccer is cool because they are actually using their feet to move the ball.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Let's review some basic facts.

1. Millions of children play football every autumn without any injury whatsoever.

2. Football is popular, even on Fogbow. We have about 12 people participating in our pick'ems threads, and watching football every weekend.

3. I didn't injure my shoulders as a child. I didn't really start playing a lot of touch football until I was in my 20s. That means I was already technically a grownup. In my elementary schools, they always introduced me to a variety of sports, with no special emphasis on football. I played one year in high school, but I wore pads and didn't hurt my shoulders. Then I became a hippie and didn't play football for a very long time. I smoked a lot of weed instead.

4. But I have always loved the game of football, like so many of my fellow Americans, and when I started playing with my friends, I played a few too many games without shoulder pads, because it was touch football, but I did that entirely as an adult. From my 20s into my early 40s.

So my individual case is not really a serious justification for depriving future generations of millions of children the opportunity to play my favorite game, thankyouverymuch.

Let's move on. :bored:
Estiveo
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Estiveo »

I am reliably informed by every orthopedist who has ever treated my horrible, painful, knees, that it was playing soccer as a wee bairn that wrecked 'em, so, yeah.
Image Image Image Image
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by zekeb »

Can I file a claim against the Trump Campaign for ear damage due to hearing their candidate's noise?
Largo al factotum.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

How many rallies have you been to, you poor thing?

Can you hear me now?
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by zekeb »

Foggy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:28 pm How many rallies have you been to, you poor thing?

Can you hear me now?
Just knowing it's on the teletoobs on some other channel hurts my ears. And my brain bone too.
Largo al factotum.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by bill_g »

So Foggy - haven't heard about your meeting with Helene. Was she nice to you guys with a well watered lawn, or did she make a mess?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

We got some rain, some wind, nothing worth writing about. Meh.

bill_g

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by bill_g »

Foggy volunteers for the Helene cleanup.

tek

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by tek »

After reading our Fearless Leader's Adventures in Shoulder Surgery, i opted to spring for the ice machine for after my rotator cuff job yesterday. "insurance doesn't cover it, so it will cost $200 if you want it"

The nerve block is wearing off, and I'm lovin' that damn machine.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Oh man, the ice machine.

In my nape of the neck (stole that from Resume18), they give me a new one every surgery. I had to get rid of the others. 'Course, the attachment is different for knee replacement than shoulder replacement, but they're both great. Ol' Wifehorn has a system for changing the ice water that works well, but I hate to have her carry the load upstairs. But I can't carry a load in one hand if I can't use the other one to stabilize, so until I heal for a few weeks I have to ask her to do it. :(
FiveAcres

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by FiveAcres »

Foggy wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:48 pm Oh man, the ice machine.

In my nape of the neck (stole that from Resume18), they give me a new one every surgery. I had to get rid of the others. 'Course, the attachment is different for knee replacement than shoulder replacement, but they're both great. Ol' Wifehorn has a system for changing the ice water that works well, but I hate to have her carry the load upstairs. But I can't carry a load in one hand if I can't use the other one to stabilize, so until I heal for a few weeks I have to ask her to do it. :(
I don't know what your house is like, Foggy, but I've used something similar to one of these to carry heavy bags of salt down to the water conditioning machine (in an honest-to-gosh bomb shelter) at a friend's house. When she first showed it to me I was sure it would never work, but it actually works a treat. She got the cheapest one on Amazon, and it has held up pretty well, but it works so well she wishes she had gotten a more heavy duty model. Maybe you could set it up to carry the ice upstairs? There are a variety of similar items, including one that looks like a shopping cart.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08WYK68CG/

Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
realist

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by realist »

The princess and I had a stair dolly very similar to that. It worked great. :thumbsup:
Image X 4
Image X 33
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Whoa, that looks awesome, and I have many things I will use it for. Mine arrives Thursday. :biggrin:
bill_g

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by bill_g »

More stable and better distributed, but the weight is still there. Tighten the duct tape on your arms before you get going. Safety First!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”