Arizona behaving badly and otherwise

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 9a89&ei=49
Lynda Carter, the original Wonder Woman actor, denounced her sister’s campaign for a competitive seat in the Arizona House, telling Mother Jones on Friday that she wouldn’t support her for any elected position.

The actor’s statement was included as part of Mother Jones’ exposé on her sister, Pamela Carter, the far-right Republican running to represent part of Maricopa County in the Arizona House of Representatives.

“On her website, Pam claims to have her ‘family’s full support,’” Lynda Carter told Mother Jones. “I have known Pam my entire life, which is why I sadly cannot endorse her for this or any public office.”

Pamela Carter did not immediately respond to HuffPost’s request for comment. Her platform includes being opposed to same-sex marriage, abortion in nearly all cases and transgender inclusion in sports. She supports arming teachers.

Lynda Carter, a vocal supporter of reproductive rights, also offered her support to the Democrats running against her sister in Arizona’s Legislative District 4.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

For all the Richer fan gurlz!

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Good interview.
► Show Spoiler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Post by Foggy »

🐕 Barking News:

Stephen Richer to file lawsuit because 100,000 (of 4.1 million) registered Arizona voters have no proof of citizenship on file. More registered Republicans than Democrats missing legally required proof. Most are long-term citizens, but record-keeping was spotty for decades. Washington Post gift article.

Court may decide if Arizonans with missing citizenship records can vote in state races
The lawsuit could also inject a new element of chaos into the presidential election in a battleground state just a month-and-a-half before Election Day because of how it could be rhetorically used by former president Donald Trump and his allies. The lawsuit will ask the Arizona Supreme Court to act with lightning speed. County elections officials planned to mail ballots to military and overseas voters on Thursday.

The litigation comes as Trump and other Republicans call for tighter rules to ensure noncitizens do not vote and as they spread false claims that those not eligible to participate cast large numbers of ballots. Voting by noncitizens is exceedingly rare, but critics have contended that more protections are needed to ensure that it does not happen.

The disclosure could also play into false Republican narratives that Democrats want to remake the nation by “importing” voters through the southern border — a frequent claim in Arizona, where border security and illegal immigration are top issues for GOP candidates and voters. Trump ally Laura Loomer seized on Tuesday’s disclosure, overlooking the nuances of the situation to declare on social media that “Arizona may have just illegally registered 100,000 illegal aliens to vote!”
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 3:51 pm 🐕 Barking News:

Stephen Richer to file lawsuit because 100,000 (of 4.1 million) registered Arizona voters have no proof of citizenship on file. More registered Republicans than Democrats missing legally required proof. Most are long-term citizens, but record-keeping was spotty for decades. Washington Post gift article.

Court may decide if Arizonans with missing citizenship records can vote in state races
The lawsuit could also inject a new element of chaos into the presidential election in a battleground state just a month-and-a-half before Election Day because of how it could be rhetorically used by former president Donald Trump and his allies. The lawsuit will ask the Arizona Supreme Court to act with lightning speed. County elections officials planned to mail ballots to military and overseas voters on Thursday.

The litigation comes as Trump and other Republicans call for tighter rules to ensure noncitizens do not vote and as they spread false claims that those not eligible to participate cast large numbers of ballots. Voting by noncitizens is exceedingly rare, but critics have contended that more protections are needed to ensure that it does not happen.

The disclosure could also play into false Republican narratives that Democrats want to remake the nation by “importing” voters through the southern border — a frequent claim in Arizona, where border security and illegal immigration are top issues for GOP candidates and voters. Trump ally Laura Loomer seized on Tuesday’s disclosure, overlooking the nuances of the situation to declare on social media that “Arizona may have just illegally registered 100,000 illegal aliens to vote!”
I clicked on the story and it wouldn't let me read it or navigate away until I registered. Nothankyouverymuch.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Guest link for the WaPo article above: https://wapo.st/47z3d14
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:20 pm Non-paywalled source https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-e ... rcna171499
Thanks.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:43 pm Guest link for the WaPo article above: https://wapo.st/47z3d14
Nope. You still have to give them an email to read the story. Not gonna happen, so I'll just happily remain ignorant of anything they have to say if I can't find it somewhere else.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

This is a nice little bit of housekeeping from Richer that should hoist a lot of old Republicans on their collective petards. And I'm glad Loomer took the bait. She'll be aiming her poison at her own party and their sloppy twenty year old legislation.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:09 pm I clicked on the story and it wouldn't let me read it or navigate away until I registered. Nothankyouverymuch.
Oh, crap, Sugar, I must have forgotten to get a gift link for it!?! Sorry about that, I know I have more Washington Post gift articles this month.
sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:58 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 5:43 pm Guest link for the WaPo article above: https://wapo.st/47z3d14
Nope. You still have to give them an email to read the story. Not gonna happen, so I'll just happily remain ignorant of anything they have to say if I can't find it somewhere else.
Ah. They want you to register to read a gift link. Yeah, fuck that.

It's gotta be in Arizona websites. We'll find it.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I think they got mad at all those that shared the guest link all over the web. It's new-ish to me that they ask for a email address. They even check that it is valid by sending a one-time access link to that address (I first attempted to use me@nowhere.net). Use a burner email account for such access. Note that they do provide for an opt-out checkbox for future mailings.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 7:35 pm I think they got mad at all those that shared the guest link all over the web. It's new-ish to me that they ask for a email address. They even check that it is valid by sending a one-time access link to that address (I first attempted to use me@nowhere.net). Use a burner email account for such access. Note that they do provide for an opt-out checkbox for future mailings.
Nope. Not going to all that trouble just to read something I can find elsewhere or just remain ignorant of.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Or wait for some kind soul here to sum up.

IMG_4053.jpeg
IMG_4053.jpeg (25.24 KiB) Viewed 979 times
ImageImageImage x5
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Richer is going after 100,000 "voters' to see if they're eligible after all. He lost his primary to a vote denier - I wonder if his review will be retroactive. Does he think his race might have been tainted by actual non-eligible folks?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 12:19 pm Richer is going after 100,000 "voters' to see if they're eligible after all. He lost his primary to a vote denier - I wonder if his review will be retroactive. Does he think his race might have been tainted by actual non-eligible folks?
No, this is something that was just recently discovered, and there's not enough time for a legislative fix, nor does SoS have the authority to implement a regulatory fix. Richer has standing to force this to SCoAZ in time for them to create a judicial fix.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Stephen ISawHimFirst Richer tweeted a couple of weeks ago, sort of boasting that AZ was at the forefront of universal proof-of-citizenship, since AZ (I think it's the whole state, but maybe only MC) required it.

I admit I responded, saying that although I might trust _him_ to run sush a program fairly, I in no way would trust the vast majority of other proponents. Too easy to abuse the process. Plus the obvious problem of putting another barrier up around voting, and who that barrier tends to exclude.

No reply from Stephen.

So I was shocked when I read about the 100K voters who blew it, and the cry for immediate rulings by the courts. I've been traveling, so I haven't followed up. My first take was, "Holy shit, Mr. Richer, you blew that one bigtime, thus proving the points of the many people who were down on your forefront claim."

Gotta read more closely.

Don't like it when my boy screws up.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I think I've read that AZ has a complicated voter registration thing; you can register federally or with the state. I'm not exactly sure how that works. From what I'm remembering, if you are not a citizen you can register federally and vote for federal offices. If you are not a citizen and have registered with the state, you can't vote at all - local, state or federal. I may have all that confused.

It just stood out to me because I'd never heard of an ability to register federally and not with the state. :shrug:

I have not read the article, but it made me wonder if those 100k voters were somehow identified because of this weird scheme.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

The origin of the issue is that, in 1996, AZ required proof-of-citizenship for all new license registrations, and for all renewals of licenses issued or renewed prior to 1996. However, if you had your license re-issued without being renewed (if you lost your license, for example), the database would show an issued date after 1996, but you didn't have to show proof-of-citizenship. Thereafter, the system would check the date of issuance, see that it was after 1996, and assume poc had been shown. The voters themselves are not at fault, it was a bad procedure.

ETA: once you had been flagged as having shown poc, you didn't have to show it on subsequent renewals.
bob

Post by bob »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:19 pm I think I've read that AZ has a complicated voter registration thing; you can register federally or with the state. I'm not exactly sure how that works. From what I'm remembering, if you are not a citizen you can register federally and vote for federal offices. If you are not a citizen and have registered with the state, you can't vote at all - local, state or federal. I may have all that confused.
Only U.S. citizens can vote in federal elections.

In Arizona, proof of citizenship is required to vote in state and local elections.

So those providing proof could vote in all three. Those not providing proof were on the federal-only list.
Image ImageImage
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

bob wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 3:56 pm
Rolodex wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:19 pm I think I've read that AZ has a complicated voter registration thing; you can register federally or with the state. I'm not exactly sure how that works. From what I'm remembering, if you are not a citizen you can register federally and vote for federal offices. If you are not a citizen and have registered with the state, you can't vote at all - local, state or federal. I may have all that confused.
Only U.S. citizens can vote in federal elections.

In Arizona, proof of citizenship is required to vote in state and local elections.

So those providing proof could vote in all three. Those not providing proof were on the federal-only list.
Thanks! I knew there was more to the story; my recollection was vague. This makes much more sense.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

:snippity:
If you are not a citizen you can't vote. Period.

Arizona now records citizenship status on drivers license. Voter registration now relies on DMV for citizenship status. There are some edge cases that are not catered for in the implementation of this process.

Nothing to see here beyond legislative incompetance and bureaucratic scrambling to make sense of that incompetance.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Tangental OT - The Oregon Real ID process became an addition to my fingerprints-tell-all story. I still had to present all their required docs because the personnel still had to scan it through, but I saw the weight drop off her shoulders when my scanned finger populated her screen. Smiles all around. I was a part of making tech like this work, and now it loves me back. Wonderful.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️🥥🌴✅

Post by poplove »

@stephen_richer
AZ Supreme Court ruled for defendant (Fontes). The 100k registrants will continue to vote a full ballot this election.

Thank God.

Thank you Arizona Supreme Court for your extremely quick and professional review of this matter.

Thank you @Adrian_Fontes, @AZSecretary for your partnership on this.

Thank you @GovernorHobbs and Department of Transportation for working so hard to quickly fix this for moving forward.

And thanks to the attorneys at Snell & Wilmer for working so hard on my behalf to tee this up this legal argument so quickly.

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”