Poor Ol' Rooster

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by northland10 »

There is a Medieval Times out in the Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates area (NW Chicago suburbs). I have never been there but have seen the building while driving on the Jane Addams.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

In actual news of roosting in Myrtle Beach, yesterday the Sun was out - mostly - but the lifeguards were flying three flags, so I wandered over to ask.

Red flag - dangerous surf, you are not allowed in above your knees
Blue flag - stinging jellyfish in the water - that's a deal killer
White flag - not enough lifeguards, don't do anything stupid

So, I may not be able to swim or use my new boogie board. :blackeyebig:

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances. Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug. I had a great dinner with ol' Wifehorn at Beck's Calabash last night.

And I spent almost 2 hours just sitting in the car, reading my Kindle, while she met with some insurance clients. She tried to apologize for leaving me in the car, but it was my choice. I told her, it was a privilege to be there. When we started doing insurance, we were going to motels by the freeway and sneaking around the halls, signing up hotel maids and cleaning staff. Yesterday we were in a gate-guarded community in freaking Ocean Isle, NC, and we didn't have any need to sneak around. She has really moved up in the world, and it's been fun.

My shoulder, however, fell out 8 times yesterday, very painful until it pops back in. :(

I think it will stay in today, at the miniature golf course. A putter doesn't require a lot of arm strength (which is good until I get some).

And that's my report. :oldman:
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

northland10 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:33 am There is a Medieval Times out in the Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates area (NW Chicago suburbs). I have never been there but have seen the building while driving on the Jane Addams.
It's a fun dinner show, especially if you like horses. The horses are great. But you are expected to participate in the show - there are 6 knights, and you are assigned to cheer for one of them, which is also your seating area (and the color of your silly paper crown, milord). :roll: So we got the black-and-white knight, and sat in the black-and-white area, wore the black-and-white paper crowns, and cheered for our guy.

And I don't do fake cheering, but they do a lot of stuff that is certainly worth raising my voice. I did a lot of cheering, this time and fifteen years ago, the first time we tried it. It really is an enjoyable show.

But go with some friends. Like I said, it's a participation show.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by bill_g »

8 times?!?!?

That's un-freakin-sane. Have you considered a ratchet strap wrapped around your shoulders?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

bill_g wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:51 am 8 times?!?!?

That's un-freakin-sane. Have you considered a ratchet strap wrapped around your shoulders?
That's the thing, Bill ... it doesn't have to move half an inch to get it to fall out. I can't imagine any way of immobilizing it that wouldn't involve WAY more duct tape than I want on my personal body. I can sit in a chair and be holding nothing in my hands, and the arm just falls out. On the bright side, it always pops back in, usually within a few minutes.

I get up in the morning here, and I have to go get covfefe for my lady love and I, so I go down there and on the way back, carrying the covfefe carefully in both hands, my left shoulder pops out and stays out until I put the covfefe down and fix it.

Every morning. :blackeyebig: Today I'm going to make an exact count, for my doctor to consider when I get home.

Another day, another dollar. A million days ... we'll be rich! :oldman:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Slim Cognito »

:bighug:
ImageImageImage x5
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

becks_callahans.jpg
becks_callahans.jpg (50.61 KiB) Viewed 353 times
Yeah, another thing we do every year is Callahan's, which is right across River Road from Beck's Seafood. You load up on hush puppies and scallops - so many grilled scallops! And then you waddle across the street and into Callahan's, which is a giant store full of schlock and junk and t-shirts and Christmas stuff and beach junk and everything else under the Sun.

I got a t-shirt last night. Loggerhead turtles on it, a bit of local wildlife. Ol' Wifehorn buys 6 or 8 boxes of salt water taffy. She allows herself one piece a day, so she buys a year's supply (I don't eat the stuff, but she won't eat anybody else's salt water taffy). We shop. We browse. We wander about. It's an important part of the Beck's Seafood experience.

Even without access to the Atlantic Ocean, we're having a fine vacation - which is needed, because next week we'll be back in the fire.
bill_g

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by bill_g »

I'm sorry this is happening to you Foggy. It's gotta be painful and frightening. The imaginary Patient Advocate in me is having a kanipshin fit dry swinging imaginary baseball bats at imaginary orthopedic docs. Ugh. I'll shut up now confident you and Wifehorn will get through this, and that someday your shoulders will stick a landing in their titanium sockets permanently.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, it's painful and annoying, but I am getting through the best I can. When it's not popped out, it's not painful, I just can't use it much. But I'm not gonna work on it until I get home again. I'm still having a good time here. :thumbsup:
bill_g

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by bill_g »

:like:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Couldn't figure out why there's so many cars racing BIG engines at night, up and down the strand. Turns out there's a convention of Mustangs (the cars, not the horsies). Ol' Wifehorn read about it. Lots of them are getting tickets for showing us just how well they have tuned their engines. Apparently, the Horry County Police like a little peace and quiet, but I appreciate an angry motor or ten. And we're on the 14th floor, so we get a wide range of nearby streets for the VROOOM.

Adds to the beach experience. :smoking:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

We have left the beach, unless we go for a walk after dinner. I got all the sun I'm gonna get. Still ready to join the British infantry, after I get the shoulder fixed. The count on the day is only 3, so that's nice. :mad:

The jellyfish flag was out, and like I said, that's a deal killer.

But now, it's time for miniature Mt. Atlanticus Minotaur Golf. Ol' Wifehorn and I are surprisingly competitive, and we love this mountain. You climb four stories high in 18 holes, then you walk down the stairway to the exit. Lots of clean water features, and some tricky stuff. One of our favorite activities.

Lots of VROOOM outside the room. I like it. Mustangs, baby!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, y'know how at a certain age, the doctors ask you if you have fallen in the past 60 days? They want to know if you are unstable on your pins, or whether you wobble and weave and can't get your balance. They want to know if you need a walker or something with tennis balls on the feet, that's what. They don't need to know if you were doing something crazy and semi-athletic on a miniature golf course, and tripped a little, and skinned your knee the size of a quarter. That was a crazy hole anyway, doesn't count at all. I had to find my ball!

Besides, I got up and beat ol' Wifehorn by 7 strokes. Now see, if'n she had beaten me, then I might have to self-report an extremely minor injury. But not this one.

It didn't even knock my shoulder out! I got up and sank the putt! :boxing:

Then we went to Fuddrucker's. I was unimpress. :|

I have seen some wicked cool Mustangs. I think there are 6,000 of them in this burg. They are LOUD. :thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

... and with that, our vacation is over, in the morning we are going to Wilmington to celebrate the birthday of Numbah Two Son, and then driving traveling home to the City of Oaks.

Ol' Wifehorn professes to be fully relaxed, tanned, and destressified, following our end-of-summer vacation. She's ready for a new insurance season, and I'm ready to provide back office and technical support, and do errands. The carriers are making a lot of changes this year, she's going to have to re-analyze every client's situation. But that's why she's the best - nobody knows the business like her. She doesn't just roll people over into renewals unless they make sense. Which, they won't, this year. It's almost intimidating. I said almost.

Our next real break is the week after Christmas, but this year we can't go up to see my pa like we have in recent years, so we need to start a new tradition. :think:
Edit: My poor new boogie board sits forlornly in the corner, unused and unopened and unloved, at least for this summer. We'll try again next year. :(
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Home again, home again, jiggity jig.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Forlorn boogie board,
Unused, unopened, and
Unloved til next year.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”