trump (convicted felon, defamer, insurrectionist, contemnor, and rapist - $537M)

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

trump (convicted felon, defamer, insurrectionist, contemnor, and rapist - $537M)

Post by Flatpoint High »

well, will he be remanded after his alleged violation of the Logan Act?
https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/ ... eement.pdf
(2) The Defendant shall not violate the laws of this State, the laws of any other state, the laws of the United States of America, or any other local laws. Ayala v. State, 262 Ga. 704, 705 (1993).
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I don't think anyone in the history of forever has ever been tried for a Logan Act violation.

And so I went to look for the facts, and indeed, no one ever has been on trial for violating the Act which was enacted in 1799.
Only two indictments have ever been handed up under the Logan Act, both in the 19th century. The first occurred in 1803 when a grand jury indicted Francis Flournoy, a Kentucky farmer, who had written an article in the Frankfort Guardian of Freedom under the pen name of "A Western American". In the article, Flournoy advocated for the creation of a new independent state, not part of the US, in North America that would ally with France. The United States Attorney for Kentucky, an Adams appointee and brother-in-law of Chief Justice John Marshall, went no further than procuring the indictment of Flournoy, and there was no further prosecution of him. The purchase of the Louisiana Territory later that year appeared to cause the separatism issue to become moot, and the case was abandoned.[2]

In 1852, Jonas Phillips Levy became the second, and to date the last, person to be indicted under the Logan Act. Levy, an American merchant and sailor who was living in Mexico at the time, had acquired a grant to build a railway across the Isthmus of Tehuantepec, the narrowest point across Mexico. Secretary of State Daniel Webster had been pressuring Mexico to accept a treaty that would allow a different group of American businessmen to build the railway. Levy wrote a letter to Mexican President Mariano Arista urging him to reject Webster's proposed treaty, prompting Webster to seek an indictment against Levy for violating the Logan Act. Federal prosecutors were forced to dismiss the case after Arista refused to hand over the original copy of the letter, depriving them of the evidence they needed to convict Levy.[3]
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Rolodex wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 6:03 pm I don't think anyone in the history of forever has ever been tried for a Logan Act violation.

And so I went to look for the facts, and indeed, no one ever has been on trial for violating the Act which was enacted in 1799.
We've never had a former president convicted of 34 felonies before either, so I'm all in on Trump being the first here.
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 6:16 pm
Rolodex wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 6:03 pm I don't think anyone in the history of forever has ever been tried for a Logan Act violation.

We've never had a former president convicted of 34 felonies before either, so I'm all in on Trump being the first here.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :popcorn:
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

more trading cards :brickwallsmall:
Trump DIRE FINANCES Get EXPOSED at WORST TIME

MeidasTouch
31 Aug 2024 Legal AF Podcast

The reason Trump is now reduced to a late night 2 bit infomercial huckster selling the shirt off his back, trading cards, bibles and sneakers out of a van, is because he and his whole “unserious family is incapable of making a new BILLION DOLLARS of fortune to replace what he squandered, and all his grifting income streams have dried up. Michael Popok methodically breaks down why Trump is circling the drain financially and can’t recover, and why his selling the suit off his back and trading cards is a desperate cry for help the American people are ignoring.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”