The Media are the Goddam Problem

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

They needed to kick it up a bit. They need eyeballs clicks and advertisers. :roll:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Jeez, Katy Tur, who's been getting a D- from me for quite some time, set the TeeVee on fire today with her fact-based and forceful defense of Harris and her denunciation of the MAGA Congress. She would not let her talking heads get away with anything. They talked about the GOP countering Kamala's call for the return of the child tax credit, and she interrupted them to say that since it was the GOP who killed it, they would have a rough time saying they were for it.

That's only one example. Katy! I hardly knew you!

In my fantasy world, which depends on logic, healthy skepticism, and honesty, Katy, just returned from two weeks of summer vacation, has gotten a clue from her "Fuckhead has a new depth and sensitivity following the assassination attempt debacle and humiliation. Now she is Kay unleashed, and is going to speak truth.

Fantasy, I know. It'll wear off in a sec. But it was glorious.

Katy wins the news today.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

zekeb wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:03 am These news conferences are nothing more than Trump campaign schlock. Isn't it about time for the Harris campaign to demand equal time?
They probably are. And are getting equal time... at 5 in the morning on Uncle Jeds milking show, same as Hillary got equal time. Or with one representitive matched up against 5 GOPers and she never gets asked anything.
Hic sunt dracones
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Clicked on CNN this AM, scrounging for informed thoughts.

Got the last two seconds of a clip of Bill Clinton, followed by the host introducing, presumably for comment (checks notes) Vivek Ramaswamy.

And click.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, yesterday the big headline at WaPo was "some black women talked to Walz after the George Floyd murder, but they were ultimately disappointed". The little headline was, oh yeah, and Walz is being nominated tonight.

I swear, they send reporters to Minnesota and tell them, FIND SOME DIRT ON WALZ or you're fired. They haven't found much, if anything.
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

How crazy does he have to sound before these nitwits stop platforming him?

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

wow they're trying to put the pitchbot out of business

Trump Can Win On Character
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/26/opin ... p-win.html

Here's the archive copy as it's my only way to get around the paywall. They even changed the headline to what it is now.
https://web.archive.org/web/20240826093 ... p-win.html
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 10:32 am wow they're trying to put the pitchbot out of business

Trump Can Win On Character
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/26/opin ... p-win.html

Here's the archive copy as it's my only way to get around the paywall. They even changed the headline to what it is now.
https://web.archive.org/web/20240826093 ... p-win.html
All I needed to see was that it was a guest editorial written by Rich Lowry. That told me everything I needed to know.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Biggest ratio i have ever seen. They should shutter their offices tomorrow. Racist pigs.
Politico Next Question.jpg
Politico Next Question.jpg (121.4 KiB) Viewed 919 times
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

They are getting some pretty serious backlash for that absurd headline. I think they've changed it slightly but it isn't much better.
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Margaret Sullivan on the failures at the NYT. She oughta know, as she was the public editor at the times ten years ago, among other top drawer journalistic achievements.

https://margaretsullivan.substack.com/p ... balance-in
An ugly case of 'false balance' in the New York Times
The mainstream media is still getting it wrong about Trump
Margaret Sullivan Sep 01, 2024

I once asked Jill Abramson, the former top editor of the New York Times, to name the best reporters she had ever encountered.

I recall she mentioned her friend and co-author Jane Mayer — definitely on my list, too — and a few others. Mayer’s book, “Dark Money,” about the Koch Brothers, is a classic of investigative reporting.

Another one was James Risen, the renowned investigative reporter formerly of the New York Times, and later at the Intercept. I agreed again, particularly because of an investigation that Risen did during the George W. Bush administration about the government surveillance of American citizens through warrantless wiretapping. (There’s quite a backstory there, but suffice it to say that Times editors held back the investigation for many months after the administration claimed that publishing would threaten national security; Risen eventually forced the hand of his editors, resulting in the publication of the blockbuster co-authored with Eric Lichtblau — and it won a Pulitzer Prize.)

I heard from Risen a few days ago, as I do from time to time; I got to know him while I was the Times public editor or ombudswoman. He wrote to express his outrage at his former employer for a recent story. I pay particular attention to him as a former Timesman himself and a journalist of integrity.

“At first, I thought this was a parody,” Risen told me. Unfortunately, it wasn’t. Even more unfortunately, the lack of judgment it displays is all too common in the Times and throughout Big Journalism as mainstream media covers Donald Trump’s campaign for president.
The rest at the link. *sigh*
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

All in all, the press in general seems to have turned against Trump. Of course there are exceptions. The Media got him elected in 2016. They sit on the fence until they're fairly certain of who the winner will be.
Largo al factotum.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Post by Foggy »

I feel awful sorry for the media today, they desperately have to portray what happened as an assassination attempt, so they can't report that the whackjob was only charged with firearms violations. So sad. :violin: :crying:
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Foggy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 5:11 pm I feel awful sorry for the media today, they desperately have to portray what happened as an assassination attempt, so they can't report that the whackjob was only charged with firearms violations. So sad. :violin: :crying:
My local ABC has not been taken over by Sinclair. Thanks to the acting SS director the media heard a large earful about this being an undisclosed trip to the golf course and the guy never got off a shot. And from what I heard in the press conference this afternoon, media seemed to pick up on those two things and were asking the questions. We'll see if it turns right back into a simple "assassination attempt" or if they continue to dig into the obvious questions. Maybe the guy realizes that Trump plays golf so often that if he camps out for three days he is likely going to show up, that's a possibility. :shrug: But I don't want to see the media just drop it, given how fast Trump jumped on the opportunity to grift and campaign on it I think the deep dive needs to be done.

This is disturbing - DeSantis just announced that he is going to do his own investigation. So, I think we are about to get treated to DeSantis "4 page explanation" of what happened so Trump supporters don't have to "read" the whole story that will come out in the actual investigation. I wonder why he feels it necessary, did he get a phone call from is pal at Mar-a-Lago who might be concerned about what the real investigation uncovers? :shrug:
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

RVInit wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 5:24 pm :snippity:
My local ABC has not been taken over by Sinclair. Thanks to the acting CIA director the media heard a large earful about this being an undisclosed trip to the golf course and the guy never got off a shot.

:snippity:
I think you mean Secret Service....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 5:27 pm
RVInit wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 5:24 pm :snippity:
My local ABC has not been taken over by Sinclair. Thanks to the acting CIA director the media heard a large earful about this being an undisclosed trip to the golf course and the guy never got off a shot.

:snippity:
I think you mean Secret Service....
Oops, yes, that's what I meant.

--Jane Goodall
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

This is an interesting discussion featuring Sean Westwood who studies political violence. He points out that the media is grossly overstating the degree to which Americans support political violence and how the media's polling of the subject is flawed.

--Jane Goodall
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Okay, help me out here....

I watched Tim Miller of the Bulwark's interview with Kaitlan Collins of CNN.

I was reassured to see that she actually has human emotions, can swear, and can be funny. She talked freely about how tough it is to deal with fuckhead lies, and the push to memory hole past fuckhead crimes.

She talked about her Alabama heritage, and repeated several times that she is apolitical and unbiased.

She was at the Big Game last weekend, and has been to more Bama Big Games than she can mention. She talked about how people sometimes don't get southern folk (no objection there) and that they are just people and wonderful folk who are not racist.

She said that at the Big Game, nearly everyone was wearing a button that said "They Eat the Dogs" and it, and that they don't care, they just think it's funny.

So. I think I may have uncovered the problem with Kaitlan Collins: That she doesn't know what racism is.

Gotta say I'm not wearing a button that says "They Eat the Dogs". Assuming said button is not a clever jab at fuckhead/MAGA. Anybody here? No?

Is this not racist? The button thing?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Can I wear a button which says He Fucks the Couch?

Just asking.
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Or perhaps a generic -

Republicans Fuck Couches

or

Republicans Shoot Puppies
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I give you my robust permission. Bigly.

Because it's not racist.
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 11:17 am Okay, help me out here....

I was reassured to see that she actually has human emotions, can swear, and can be funny. She talked freely about how tough it is to deal with fuckhead lies, and the push to memory hole past fuckhead crimes.

She talked about her Alabama heritage, and repeated several times that she is apolitical and unbiased.

She was at the Big Game last weekend, and has been to more Bama Big Games than she can mention. She talked about how people sometimes don't get southern folk (no objection there) and that they are just people and wonderful folk who are not racist.

She said that at the Big Game, nearly everyone was wearing a button that said "They Eat the Dogs" and it, and that they don't care, they just think it's funny.

So. I think I may have uncovered the problem with Kaitlan Collins: That she doesn't know what racism is.

Gotta say I'm not wearing a button that says "They Eat the Dogs". Assuming said button is not a clever jab at fuckhead/MAGA. Anybody here? No?

The buttons said Dawgs, not dogs. Because they are extremely racist against Georgia.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

New Turtle wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 1:26 pm
p0rtia wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2024 11:17 am Okay, help me out here....

The buttons said Dawgs, not dogs. Because they are extremely racist against Georgia.
Ah, I get. Because they were playing the Bulldogs, right? So that makes it okay. If you're racist.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

The timing just makes it "funnier."

If they were playing the University of Houston Cougars they would have said they eat cats. Probably.

Race here in the deep south is complicated. Most white people are polite and cordial to Blacks - whether friends, co-workers or strangers just out and about. Where the problem lies is when they have to think about systemic racism. They consider themselves not racist because they don't use the N word, they don't make racist jokes (mostly), they don't beat up black people.

But just try to talk about white privilege. They equate it with economic status. There's an element of that, yes. But they honestly just don't see that they have never experienced some negative things *simply* because of their skin color. There's a lot of conditioning to ascribe people expressing unfairness as "playing the race card." It's shorthand on both sides.

But it's not an issue that can be expressed in just a few words. People have poor history education. Buzz words work. White people too often think everything is fair now that civil rights have passed, and believe that other people experience the world they same way they do. For example - voting.

Voting - easy peasy. Just take your license to the polling place and vote. Absolutely zero awareness that not everyone: can get off work. Has child care. Has a license. Has a car. Has access to a printer to get the required info for an absentee application.

These folks have all those things and so think everyone else has no barriers to those things, too. I mean, we're all equal, right?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug:

Thanks for that. Fills in a lot of gaps for me.

So.... Kaitlin Collins is racist AF, but doesn't know it because she's measuring herself against her community, which does not consider itself at all racist?

This fits in nicely with the condemnation of the woke folk. Because we woke folk continue to want to take away their non-racist, harmless fun (as exemplified by buttons, in this case).

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”