Meanwhile on the North Fork...........

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Oldies radio reports that the local North Fork American Legion post is closing after over 100 years.

Sustained for decades by WW I, WW II and Korean War veterans the post, like so many others, had trouble recruiting Vietnam War and later veterans.

There seems to have been a general decline in the popularity of mens social clubs like the Elks, the Knights of Columbus, the Lions and others since WW II.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 8:13 am Oldies radio reports that the local North Fork American Legion post is closing after over 100 years.

Sustained for decades by WW I, WW II and Korean War veterans the post, like so many others, had trouble recruiting Vietnam War and later veterans.

There seems to have been a general decline in the popularity of mens social clubs like the Elks, the Knights of Columbus, the Lions and others since WW II.
I've got many "mens social clubs" in a 5 mile radius. ;)

But it is a bit sad. My grandpa used to take me with to the American Legion when I was wee neon.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 8:13 am Sustained for decades by WW I, WW II and Korean War veterans the post, like so many others, had trouble recruiting Vietnam War and later veterans.

My WWII father didn't want to join the Legion or VFW. He saw them as places where veteran sat around drinking and reliving the past or something. But he like the rest of us was introverted and liked to hang around only with guys he knew. But he'd have known more guys if he'd joined the Legion or VFW. :biggrin:

His sister was with the Legion Auxiliary. She faithfully handed out poppies at stores on National Poppy Day as long as she was able. Around here I don't see that at all. Do they still do it?

The decline is interesting as there are stories about young men not knowing how to be men, leading to some of the right-wing nuttery we see like Proud Boys, Groypers, whatever.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

The American Legion IS the place vets get cheap drinks, but they have to drive themselves home. The Shriners and Elks at least have a place for you to sleep it off.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

My WW II veteran father also never joined the VFW or the American Legion. He almost never talked about his military experiences.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I looked up some numbers. In 2000 the American Legion had 3.12 million members. By 2017 it had fewer than 2 million members with an average age of 67. About 400,000 of those members were over 80 years old.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 8:13 am :snippity:
:snippity:
A major reason why they couldn't 'recruit' Vietnam War veterans is because the VFW refused to recognize the Vietnam War as a 'war' - and therefore the veterans were refused membership.

It took them 10 or 15 years to recognize that their membership was dying and they needed to rebuild by recognizing Vietnam.
Edit: From Wikipedia: VFW - eligibility Vietnam

Vietnam veterans membership controversy
The VFW initially refused membership for Vietnam War veterans.[23][24][25][26] At the time, most incumbent VFW members were World War II and Korean War veterans. Many of these WWII veterans were of the opinion that the conflict in Vietnam was a "police action" and in their minds did not qualify as a war, despite the Korean War also being a "police action" with no formal declaration of war. This rationale was used to deny membership to many Vietnam War veterans across the country. Many of these WWII veterans blamed Vietnam War veterans for losing the war. In the years since, many veterans of the Vietnam War have refused to join the VFW due to this, and many older posts now find themselves struggling to survive as WWII and Korea vets have either passed away or are no longer active, and younger Iraq and Afghanistan veterans do not feel comfortable joining a dying post.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

That's the VFW. I was referring to the American Legion. While both are veterans fraternal organizations they have different eligibility rules. The Legion's rules are more open to different classes of veterans than the VFW.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Local radio news-

New York State is offering free RSV vaccines to residents aged 60 to 75.

Connecticut is experiencing the most whopping cough in years, over 80 cases. The authorities blame vaccine resistance among some parents.

Mosquito and tick borne diseases are on the rise on Long Island.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

North Fork group to host ‘Harris for President’ fundraiser Aug. 26

https://riverheadlocal.com/2024/08/14/n ... er-aug-26/
NoFoWomen4Kamala will host a “Harris for President” fundraiser on Monday, Aug. 26 from 6 to 8:30 p.m. at Greenport Harbor Brewery in Peconic. All supporters are welcome.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Quiet.

Mrs. V's cousin from the DC area and her husband left for home this morning.

Mrs. V is already in mourning for the loss of her shopping buddy. :(

She will be back in a month when she and Mrs. V will fly to Italy for 3 weeks.

Aside from ourselves, only one cottage now has summer folk in residence. No building or landscaping projects going on.

Oldies Radio is in "the summer is not over yet" mode. ;)
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 12:23 pm Mrs. V is already in mourning for the loss of her shopping buddy. :(
But your bank account isn’t? ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

First Trump now Walz. For some reason this event seems like it will cause less traffic disruption than Trump's event. Perhaps this is because even though this event is east of the canal like Trump's was it is several miles closer to the canal so fewer miles of road will be affected.

Democratic VP candidate Walz to attend fundraiser in Southampton, Mumford & Sons to perform

https://abc7ny.com/post/democratic-vice ... /15188986/
Democratic vice presidential candidate Minnesota Governor Tim Walz heads to the Hamptons Thursday afternoon fundraiser in Southampton.

The 5:30 p.m. event caps off a five-state fundraising swing this week for the Harris-Walz campaign.

Grammy-winning British folk band Mumford & Sons is expected to perform at the fundraiser.

It's being held at the at the 17,000-square-foot Coopers Neck Lane home of Stewart Butterfield, co-founder and CEO of messaging company Slack, and Jen Rubio, co-founder and CEO of Away, a luggage manufacturer and retailer.

"This will be the Governor's first event in New York for Harris-Walz 2024, and we are looking forward to gathering a group of energized supporters for the campaign ahead of the DNC convention," they said.

Donors will pay $50,000 to attend, and $75,000 for a photo op with Walz and access to a "VIP reception."
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

V-
Oldies Radio is in "the summer is not over yet" mode.

It is DEFINITELY not over in Arkansas!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 4:43 pm V-
Oldies Radio is in "the summer is not over yet" mode.

It is DEFINITELY not over in Arkansas!
In this sense summer is already over in Texas because the schools reopened today. Here in NY the summer season will end after Labor Day when the schools reopen. North Fork advertisers want people to stay out here buying summer things up to the very last minute. ;)

Mrs. V tells me of times when she was a school girl when they would stay out on the North Fork until the first day of school and go directly to school on the first day without going home first :lol:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

I always liked the last day of school better. That was the day I got my squirt guns, cap guns, pea shooters, and other armaments returned to their rightful owner. :boxing:
I'm Foggy and I disapprove this message.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Oldies Radio still playing ads about getting ready for summer. :lol: ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Beach forecast for the weekend is high waves and dangerous rip currents due to the hurricane in the Atlantic.

Good news for surfers. Bad news for families.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

'Torrential' Overnight Rain Led To Water Rescues, Major Flooding: NWS
Long Island was socked by heavy rain Sunday night, leading to stranded motorists, water rescues, flooded basement, and closed roads: NWS.

https://patch.com/new-york/riverhead/s/ ... KIPvIJ2bfQ
Sunday night's torrential rain led to a long string of stranded motorists and emergency water rescues, as well as flooded basements, closed roads and even a small landslide reported across Long Island, according to the National Weather Service.

A flash flood warning was issued across the area until just before 5 a.m., which has since been rescinded, officials said. During the height of the storm, the NWS's New York office reported "torrential rainfall" across central and eastern Long Island with "multiple water rescues."

Suffolk County police said 911 received dozens of calls overnight reporting flooded roadways, yards, and basements. No serious injuries have been reported at this time, police said Monday morning.

Suffolk County Executive Ed Romaine is expected to declare a state of emergency due to "major storm damage" to North Shore communities, he said.

A high rip current risk exists in southern Nassau County through Monday evening; a coastal flood advisory remains in effect in vulnerable areas near the waterfront and shoreline from 6 p.m. Monday night until midnight, the NWS said.
LI beaches were closed to swimming over the weekend and today due to rip currents. Run-off from the heavy rains will keep the beaches closed due to bacterial contamination. :(
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Out on the porch listening to an owl. The first one I have heard this year. :biggrin:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:54 pm Out on the porch listening to an owl. The first one I have heard this year. :biggrin:
We've had one here a lot recently. He was so noisy, it was getting on my nerves, although, generally, I love listening to them.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Currently 64F with cloudy skies and 15 mph breezy winds.

RIP currents still high. Not a beach day even if the bacteria levels become acceptable.

Whatever happened to the dog days of August? ;)

Oldies radio announcing the last of the summer's free concerts this week and next. Some advertisers still playing their get ready for summer ads from May. :roll:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:54 pm Out on the porch listening to an owl. The first one I have heard this year. :biggrin:
Temple, Rice, FAU, or Kennesaw State?

Sorry, spillover from a Sportsball Forum thread.
101010 :towel:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Schools use owls as their mascots? :eek:

They should use something sensible like my alma mater uses, a beaver. :thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, my school's teams are named after a whole city full of people who fell for a big stupid wooden horsie, and lost a war. :blackeye:
I'm Foggy and I disapprove this message.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”