Man-Made Disasters

Kendra

Re: Man-Made Disasters

Post by Kendra »

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The images being shown this morning. A line of firefighters all lined up passing a bucket of debris down the chain, I assume to inspect for remains before it's tossed.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

CNN bringing out the big gun anchors. Anderson Cooper and Chris Cuomo there today. Wolf said he'll be there tomorrow.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

A structural engineer did a report in 2018 in which he detailed all of the issues with the failing concrete, noting major structural damage. Here’s a link to the report:

https://www.townofsurfsidefl.gov/docs/d ... 882a1194_2
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
filly

Post by filly »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:25 am A structural engineer did a report in 2018 in which he detailed all of the issues with the failing concrete, noting major structural damage. Here’s a link to the report:

https://www.townofsurfsidefl.gov/docs/d ... 882a1194_2
The NYT has a long article up about this : https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/26/us/m ... e=Homepage
At the ground level of the complex, vehicles can drive in next to a pool deck where residents would lounge in the sun. Mr. Morabito in 2018 said that the waterproofing below the pool deck and entrance drive was failing, “causing major structural damage to the concrete structural slab below these areas.”

The report added that “failure to replace the waterproofing in the near future will cause the extent of the concrete deterioration to expand exponentially.” The problem, he said, was that the waterproofing was laid on a concrete slab that was flat, not sloped in a way that would allow water to run off, an issue he called a “major error” in the original design. The replacement would be “extremely expensive,” he warned, and cause a major disturbance to residents.

In the parking garage, which largely sits at the bottom level of the building, part of it under the pool deck, Mr. Morabito said that there were signs of distress and fatigue.
ADVERTISEMENT
Continue reading the main story

“Abundant cracking and spalling of varying degrees was observed in the concrete columns, beams, and walls,” Mr. Morabito wrote. He included photos of cracks in the columns of the parking garage as well as concrete crumbling — a process engineers refer to as “spalling” — that exposed steel reinforcements on the garage deck.

Mr. Morabito noted that previous attempts to patch the concrete with epoxy were failing, resulting in more cracking and spalling. In one such spot, he said, “new cracks were radiating from the originally repaired cracks.”

The report also identified a host of other problems: Residents were complaining of water coming through their windows and balcony doors, and the concrete on many balconies also was deteriorating.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:04 pm

Building determined to be unstable a year ago.
I get the impression from the destruction the building was constructed in two phases.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

When you buy a condo do you have to go through the same inspection process you do to buy a house? If there were already known problems is that something that shows up some place for realtors or buyers to access? It seems like the crumbling concrete in the parking garage would be apparent to the naked eye and bring up some questions from potential tenants.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I came in late to this morning's presser, but no change in death count/missing. Desantis was actually there. Finally. Rough, rough job for the first responders. CNN had on yesterday a former NYFD head who was there during 911. He was concerned about responders wearing gas masks while going through that toxic rubble - look at all the health issues that came up after 911.

With this 2018 report now out, concerns high now about the sister building to the north.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Reposting in right thread :bag:

How long before this tragedy becomes a false flag created by the FBI, BLM and antifa??
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Kendra wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:48 am Reposting in right thread :bag:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NikkiMcR/sta ... 4615712790

How long before this tragedy becomes a false flag created by the FBI, BLM and antifa??
I saw that false claim by Charlie Kirk yesterday. Didn't repost it because he's not all that influential, don't ya think? :whistle:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

CNN reported on some very tense video from a meeting at the reunification center between family and officials. Sounds like DeSantis got some tough words/questions. They say this was posted on social media, but they don't have the OK just yet to air it.

I am :brokenheart: listening to the family members telling their family stories to the reporters. They are trying so hard to keep up hope, and I don't know how the reporters can keep from tearing up :crying:
Edit: Guy on CNN just now talking about the hazards and difficulties for first responders with a catastrophe like this and one problem they didn't have with 911 - those electric vehicles and the powerful batteries and I think with them sitting in the water in the lower garage. Yikes.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

neonzx wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:15 pm

I saw that false claim by Charlie Kirk yesterday. Didn't repost it because he's not all that influential, don't ya think? :whistle:
No, but Tucker and gang may jump on it. Geez.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Kendra wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:30 pm
neonzx wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:15 pm

No, but Tucker and gang may jump on it. Geez.
They probably will ... whatever keeps the TrumpTrain rolling.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Fire hampers search at condo collapse site; audit ordered for 40 year old buildings
SURFSIDE, Fla. (CBS12) — The Mayor of Miami-Dade County ordered an audit of all buildings in the county at the 40-year point and beyond in the wake of the collapse of 12-story building in Surfside.

On Saturday, Mayor Daniella Levine Cava also said county leaders did not know of a 2018 report which found major structural damage in the condo.

The death toll remains at four, with 159 people unaccounted for. Authorities said another 127 people have been accounted for in the collapse.

Crews, working around the clock, did not recover any victims overnight.

On Saturday, Mayor Cava said the search for survivors is being hampered by smoke from a deep fire that's been burning for some time.

Miami Dade-County mayor Daniella Levine Cava talks about how smoke from the fire is hampering search-and-rescue efforts in Surfside. (CNN Newsource)

Cava says it's hard to locate the source, and crews are using all tools from foam, water, and infrared to locate the source and minimize the spread of smoke.

Crews also dug a trench in an effort to isolate the fire.

"The world is watching and we thank everyone," said Cava.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I'm wondering when they are going to send out sample of the conrete for chloride testing.

The reports of spalling suggests that the rebar was corroding.

I bet they used a poor quality aggregate in the concrete.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

Chilidog wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:07 pm I'm wondering when they are going to send out sample of the conrete for chloride testing.

Rebar corrosion is commonplace unless they coat it. It's a common problem here in the Midwest when they use rebar of bridges and the road salt works its way into the concrete. I bet it's a combination on ingredients: concrete, engineering, building it on an unstable footing.
Largo al factotum.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I saw online were someone was trying to blame the testing that the did on the USS Gerald Ford the other day, but that was several hundred miles away.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

zekeb wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:23 pm
Chilidog wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:07 pm I'm wondering when they are going to send out sample of the conrete for chloride testing.

Rebar corrosion is commonplace unless they coat it. It's a common problem here in the Midwest when they use rebar of bridges and the road salt works its way into the concrete. I bet it's a combination on ingredients: concrete, engineering, building it on an unstable footing.
Well, that's odd. Why would salt be an issue on the Florida coast?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Unreal following CNN all day and they're wall to wall with the big gun anchors/boots on the ground. Switched to Fox off and on (the more *serious* news shows). It's like it never happened. They're bitching about Biden/Iran/Fauci, etc. Go to their website and what's the main story? Fauci lied. Their Twitter page? Crickets.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Heard a local resident on tv yesterday talking about another new building being built recently and how the collapsed condos could feel the vibrations of the pilings being driven into the ground. I can't imagine that vibrations day after day for weeks did the collapsed building (or any other building in the vicinity) any good.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Reminds me of a scandal going on in Ireland right now, where someone mixed in Mika into the concrete he was using to build houses, and the houses disintegrated over time.

This is a report from 2017. There been a lot of wrangling and reports since then.

https://www.rte.ie/news/environment/201 ... es-report/
Nearly 6,000 homes in Donegal, Mayo affected by concrete issues - report
Updated / Tuesday, 13 Jun 2017 23:18
Report of the Expert Panel on Concrete Blocks found the problems were largely confined to specific areas in both Doengal and Mayo

An expert report for the Government has found that up to 5,700 homes in Donegal and north Mayo have been affected by problems in their concrete blockwork causing buildings to disintegrate and external plastering and rendering to crack.

The dwellings are single storey, dormer and two-storey with both housing estates and one-off rural houses affected.

The report of the Expert Panel on Concrete Blocks found the problems were largely confined to specific regions in both counties.

In Donegal the homes affected are mainly located in the Inishowen and Letterkenny Municipal districts, where the problem is caused by a mineral called muscovite mica in concrete blocks.

In Co Mayo, the problem is caused by pyrite in the concrete blocks and the houses affected are largely concentrated in the northern parts of Ballina and the West Mayo Municipal districts.

According to the report 28 housing estates in Donegal have been affected.

In addition Donegal County Council found that 60% of social houses built in Inishowen between 2000 and 2008, and 23% built in Letterkenny, are suffering structural distress and cracking.

On the basis of these findings the Expert Group said the minimum number of private houses affected in Donegal was 1,200 but that total could be as high as 4,800 homes in the county.

In Co Mayo, seven housing estates with 315 dwellings have been identified with pyrite in their blockwork. Another 30 one-off houses in the county have been similarly affected.

In addition a total of 17 social housing units across three council estates are also affected according to Mayo County Council.

The Minister of State for Housing and Urban Renewal Damien English said he hoped that the publication of the report will assist affected homeowners in finding and acceptable solution and remediation measures for their impacted dwellings.

However, remediation options highlighted in the report involve the demolition of buildings in some cases and the demolition and rebuilding of external walls in others.

Welcoming the publication of the report today, Minister Joe McHugh said it is important now that a Redress Scheme is put in place for all homeowners in Co Donegal who have suffered as a result of all the deficiencies in our planning and building regulation systems between 2000 and 2006.

He said: "It is clear in the report, that those who bought homes or who build their own homes in this period of time did so without any knowledge whatsoever of the problems ahead and in those circumstances they should have access to a redress scheme"
Hic sunt dracones
filly

Post by filly »

I wrote about this the day it happened. Could be contaminants fro cement kilns that burned haz wastes as a business in 70s and 80s
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

filly wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:05 pm

I wrote about this the day it happened. Could be contaminants fro cement kilns that burned haz wastes as a business in 70s and 80s
How much does being on the ocean shore (salt water) effect this?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Mr Gneiss would be the one to ask. From my own clueless knowledge I don't think the Salt from the ocean would go very far inland. The rock and soil acts as a natural filter, and underground freshwater is always flowing Seaward.

From a quick look online It seems Salt AIR corrosion is much more a worry than underground Salt.
Hic sunt dracones
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

Suranis wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:34 pm Mr Gneiss would be the one to ask. From my own clueless knowledge I don't think the Salt from the ocean would go very far inland. The rock and soil acts as a natural filter, and underground freshwater is always flowing Seaward.

From a quick look online It seems Salt AIR corrosion is much more a worry than underground Salt.
The building is within a couple blocks of the ocean. You'd be surprised at how far the wind can drive the salty mist. My ex owned a car that was previously owned by a pacific coast resident. My mechanic cussed that car. Every nut that needed turning was corroded.
Largo al factotum.

Return to “General Stuff”