Paris Olympics - July 26th to August 11th (did I mention it's in Paris?)

bob

Post by bob »

There's a bunch of dumb outrage on the bird dumpster fire site about the opening ceremony.

Drag queens mocking Christianity, etc.

:yawn:
Image ImageImage
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️🥥🌴✅

Post by poplove »

bob wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:23 pm There's a bunch of dumb outrage on the bird dumpster fire site about the opening ceremony.

I call it outrage du jour.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

bob wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:23 pm There's a bunch of dumb outrage on the bird dumpster fire site about the opening ceremony.

And yet Jesus, unlike the outraged group, loves every one of those drag queens. Moreover, you could probably interpret the tableau in several ways. Maybe the drag queens were signifying that they are also disciples of Jesus in spite bigots’ assumptions about them.
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
poplove

Post by poplove »

@acnewsitics
MAGA: The Olympics are insulting christians!
Also MAGA:
bob

Post by bob »

(Apologies to those who wanted to discuss, yaknow, the sports at the Olympics.)
Image ImageImage
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

poplove wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:59 pm
jemcanada2 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:50 pm Meanwhile, the Canadian women’s soccer team loses 6 points over a drone spying scandal…

:bag: :bag:
I'm a big fan of Canada's WNT, so I was surprised and disappointed over this.
:yeahthat: :blackeye:
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

My Roku has an Olympics listing with the search, home, streaming etc other choices. Selecting that takes me to a good way to see what's on, although the things listed as live aren't so. USMT soccer was playing New Zealand live, so I checked that out. Turned out it was on Telemundo and commentary in Spanish which was kind of funny.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

The number of commercials is ridiculous. And they are so intrusive.

Plus the page where up you f

Gonna be looking for VPN alternative in a red hot minute.
poplove

Post by poplove »

@TheRickyDavila
Love this, Flava Flav is sponsoring the USA Women's Water Polo team after finding out members of the team were quietly working multiple jobs to pay for training and competing even after winning 3 Olympic gold medals. He’s calling other celebrities to do the same with other teams.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I just read some of it, and I raised my eyebrow at someone saying "I cant understand how anyone wouldn't see that this was a representation of the Festival of Bacchus..." Uh, I have a degree in Greek and Roman civilisation, and I didn't have a clue that was what it was representing.

For one thing, if it really was the festival of Bacchus, they would probably be wearing masks, as would be Greek Dramatic Tradition when embodying Bacchus and the Minor Gods.

Seriously, they read half a Wikipedia article about Greek shit and then make something that has people who halfway know what they are talking about scratching their head. Then they sneer at people who misinterpret it.

For feck sake, no-one was looking at that poor blue guy as Bacchus. Everyone and I mean everyone saw Papa Smurf. If you need to read a goddam novel to understand your stupid parade float, you have failed to "reach the people." Over here they would call that being too far up your own ass.

Wonder how they would have reacted if I told them that the Greeks were not actually as Homosexual as they would like to think. They had laws against Sodomy, for example.

And that's not even going into whatever that thing representing Marie Antoinette was. THAT was what it was supposed to be?

Ya, whatever.

So lets turn it over to "Lady Francis" who I guarantee didn't have a fucking clue what any of that was before she read the designers notes. But she is now pretending she did, and is therefore an Intellectual Superiour to YEW! :crazy:
MarLa Francis
·
Dearest Gentle Reader,
I’m about to step on some toes in regard to the Opening Ceremony at the Paris Olympics.

The headless woman was Marie Antoinette. She ruled over France and was found guilty of treason, conspiracy, and stealing from the country.
Sound familiar?

Also, it was not the Last Supper. It was a depiction of an ancient Greek Bacchanal… because, you know, the Olympics are ancient and Greek. Surprise!
And if you didn’t know, a Bacchanalia is an uncontrollably promiscuous, extravagant, and loud party. The parties often spanned several days which honored the god of wine, Bacchus (the blue guy covered in grape vine). He is also known as Dionysus, the Greek god of fertility, later known as the god of wine and pleasure.

And finally, it was not Death on a pale horse. It was Sequana, Goddess of the Seine, the River in which the boat precession took place. She was meant to be the representation of the Olympic spirit and of Sequana.

If some of you weren’t so busy trying to end the Dept. of Education, you might know this.
Loosen the clutch on your pearls.
Yours truly,
Lady Francis
As an aside, what my Sisters took away from it was that Papa Smurf didn't look happy. and they were afraid people were going to fall out of the tiny Boats the teams were given. They thought it was a disgrace the Small, Unimportant countries were given such tiny, cheapass boats. Vive le France.
Hic sunt dracones
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Suranis wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 3:27 am
I just read some of it, and I raised my eyebrow at someone saying "I cant understand how anyone wouldn't see that this was a representation of the Festival of Bacchus..." Uh, I have a degree in Greek and Roman civilisation, and I didn't have a clue that was what it was representing.

For one thing, if it really was the festival of Bacchus, they would probably be wearing masks, as would be Greek Dramatic Tradition when embodying Bacchus and the Minor Gods.
There’s plenty of artistic depictions of the Feast of Bacchus that don’t have masks. Particularly this one, from a museum in France. Le Festin des Dieux (The Feast of the Gods), Jan Hermansz. van Bijlert, Musée Magnin
IMG_3036.png
IMG_3036.png (295.45 KiB) Viewed 1258 times
That’s pretty similar to the tableaux depicted, with Apollo sporting a halo, and Bacchus in garlands dancing. I’m sure there was a hefty wink towards The Last Supper, but I got the Bacchus reference right away and never thought of Papa Smurf at all.
Wonder how they would have reacted if I told them that the Greeks were not actually as Homosexual as they would like to think. They had laws against Sodomy, for example.
Off topic. But it’s not that simple. Same sex relationships were sometimes encouraged (ex. older man, young boys, no coercion or payments), sometimes outlawed (ex. one party sold or “procured” for sexual purposes), sometimes overlooked (ex. master slave). The topic was quite complex over time, distance, and social status.
As an aside, what my Sisters took away from it was that Papa Smurf didn't look happy. and they were afraid people were going to fall out of the tiny Boats the teams were given. They thought it was a disgrace the Small, Unimportant countries were given such tiny, cheapass boats. Vive le France.
Some small countries were on small boats, some were on sections of large boats. (I’m particularly following Mongolia— they were on one end of a large boat.)
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

My thoughts On the opening ceremony:
1. It certainly was long.
2. It was "Made for TV" There was no locus it was spread out all over the city. No way other than TV screens to give the in person viewer a sense of continuity.
3. The weather. Well you can't control the weather . . . I just kept thinking how glad I was that I wasn't on the street but comfortable in my recliner.
4. It had its moments for sure. Celine Dion at the Tower was amazing. For me the running, jumping, sliding tour of the city was meh. But given the conditions it was quite a feat.
5. Overall I like it more in retrospect than I did while watching it. Quite a tour de force. . .Viva La France!
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I thought the Opening ceremony was fine.

My only negatve takeaway was the overexposure of a headless Marie Antoinette. They made the point with the introduction of her singing while holding her head. They didn't have to rub it in by having her appear in every window of the building.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

That building was apparently where the real Antoinette was held prisoner prior to ..you know.

I don't even care if the partying people were Bacchus or daVinci or oopma loompas. I watched Friday afternoon - live - before the pearl clutchers got their undies in a bundle. My first impression was that it was people partying at a fashion show (which was happening on the bridge in front of them). The woman in the center with the crown was DJing...so I got "club people" vibe. It was all very French and they were showcasing things Paris is famous for - art, fashion, etc.

Where the SuperChristians™ get me is that they seem to always look for something to be offended by. But...as a Christian myself, I do not worship a commissioned painting. It's art. It's not a holy relic. Jesus didn't touch it (he'd been dead/undead for a thousand and a half years). There have been tons of parodies of that depiction for hundreds of years -it's so famous it's one of the top ten works of art that's been parodied (American Gothic, Nighthawk, Girl With Pearl Earring, the Scream, Mona Lisa are others). Making fun of a picture is not disrespecting a religion. It all speaks to the power of art!

I enjoyed and appreciated a lot of the opening event when I didn't "get" what was going on. I know it was a French song, but I didn't like the song Lady Gaga did. Celine Dion is beloved but I find her boring. I was worried about stringed instruments getting wet. Love the parkour/Assassin's Creed guy, metal music, national anthem from the roof, and the boats.

We don't all have to love or approve of everything. And people should take a breath and not interpret everything through their own experience and knowledge and keep an open mind. It was all art...people like and dislike all kinds of art.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Whatever4 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 7:11 am
Off topic. But it’s not that simple. Same sex relationships were sometimes encouraged (ex. older man, young boys, no coercion or payments), sometimes outlawed (ex. one party sold or “procured” for sexual purposes), sometimes overlooked (ex. master slave). The topic was quite complex over time, distance, and social status.
I said Sodomy, specifically. Same sex relationships were somewhat more excepted, but Sodomy was seen as disgusting for a whole variety of reasons. There was a punishment for Adultery that involved a hot radish being coated in ash and shoved up the Man's anus, which aside from being very unpleasent, it would make it look like the man had committed Sodomy and disqualify him from any kind of public office.
Hic sunt dracones
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Suranis wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:31 pm I said Sodomy, specifically. Same sex relationships were somewhat more excepted, but Sodomy was seen as disgusting for a whole variety of reasons. There was a punishment for Adultery that involved a hot radish being coated in ash and shoved up the Man's anus, which aside from being very unpleasent, it would make it look like the man had committed Sodomy and disqualify him from any kind of public office.
TMI.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Sorry! But I had to watch the Catholic priest who was my Classics professor describe it, so it would be rude not to share. :twisted:
Hic sunt dracones
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

When is Men's Gymnastics? Haven't found a link to a schedule. Of course, for professional purposes only.*

* Actually, I repped an Olympic gymnast way back named Wes Suter, a great guy. He's done well in a completely different career, of course, we say hello from time to time.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Luke wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 8:03 pm When is Men's Gymnastics? Haven't found a link to a schedule. Of course, for professional purposes only.*

* Actually, I repped an Olympic gymnast way back named Wes Suter, a great guy. He's done well in a completely different career, of course, we say hello from time to time.
https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule/sport/gymnastics
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Oops…

South Korea wrongly introduced as North Korea at Olympics

Olympic organisers have issued a "deep apology" after South Korea's athletes were mistakenly introduced as North Korea at the opening ceremony in Paris.

As the excited, flag-waving team floated down the River Seine, both French and English announcers introduced them as the "Democratic People's Republic of Korea" - the official name of North Korea.

The same name was then used - correctly - when North Korea's delegation sailed past.

The two Koreas have been divided since the end of World War Two, with tensions between the states further escalating recently.

:snippity:

South Korea, formally known as the Republic of Korea, has 143 athletes in its Olympic team this year, competing across 21 sports.

North Korea has sent 16 athletes. This is the first time it has competed in the games since Rio 2016.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cmj2r1403jpo
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 8:09 pm
Luke wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 8:03 pm When is Men's Gymnastics? Haven't found a link to a schedule. Of course, for professional purposes only.*

https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule/sport/gymnastics

Thank you thank you! Great timing, many events today! 💙
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Try to catch the final dive of the Chinese synchronized platform diving.

Unbelievable!
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Some more actual competition news:

Biles tweaked her left calf while warming up for floor exercise during qualifying Sunday. She retreated briefly to have the calf taped but then returned and posted the top scores on floor and vault on her way to topping the all-around.

Last week, U.S. team leaders had considered holding Biles out of the uneven bars in team finals to give her a small break during the Games. Instead, Biles will be part of every event during the finals, when three gymnasts compete and all three scores count.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/i ... alf-injury
poplove

Post by poplove »

@waltermasterson
Explaining the Opening of the Paris Olympics to MAGA
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our older daughter and SIL are over the Atlantic on their way to France for the Olympics. They have tickets for some of the women's football matches. :biggrin:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”