Poor Ol' Rooster

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

northland10 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:20 pm I'm really good at bending nails with a hammer, and I'm confident I could bend them with a nailer. I'm special.
When my father-in-law passed many years ago, I was appointed to go through his tools and so forth. What I found was that he saved every nail he ever bent. Several hundred of them, I think he planned to eventually straighten them out, but he never got to it. My own dad died with unfinished electronics projects and books he planned to read, but ... no bent nails. I went through his tools and so forth in 2006, after my mom was gone and before he moved into the retirement community.
I am living in a world far beyond the scope of my imagination. Every time the planet rotates, I wake up in a brand new world full of wonders.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by northland10 »

:shock:
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, the whirlwind begins...

This morning we're racing (at 6 am) so we can be on the ferry at 7:55. We're going to the Achooey (gesundheit) Museum, whatever that is. We have to make it back for the 12:55 ferry, or we'll have to wait in line for the next one, could be a three hour wait in the afternoon.

An emergency trip to a museum, with a lot of time pressure. What fun!

Travels with ol' Wifehorn are not vacations, don't let her fool you. :fingerwag:

Because of all the metals in my knees and shoulders, I had to go through the super screening at the airport. Didn't see anyone from the American Revolution. Took a Trazodone and slept through the flight. Everyone else watched video the whole time.

I have been working on strength and conditioning, and it paid off. I have a carryon and a backpack, and ol' Wifehorn had to stop three times while we were climbing the hill after getting off the ferry. I could have walked five miles. But after we strolled half a mile into downtown Bainbridge, we found a great little teriyaki joint right next to a foofy ice cream shop that used fresh raspberries in my cone. Shortly after that, our niece picked us up and took us to the house.

I got up at 12:30 a.m. Seattle time yesterday. I was in bed by 7:30. Long day, photos later. Can't transfer from my GoPro to my tablet, gotta use my phone today.
I am living in a world far beyond the scope of my imagination. Every time the planet rotates, I wake up in a brand new world full of wonders.
MN-Skeptic

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Chihuly Garden and Glass?

Totally cool and worth it!
Rolodex

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Rolodex »

My son used to live on Bainbridge. He'd joke about how he lived on an island but downtown Seattle was within walking distance. Beautiful part of the world.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 12:04 pm Chihuly Garden and Glass?

Totally cool and worth it!
Yes, and yes. I got a lot of photos, but it's way more work to post them from here, I'll show them when I get home.

And we also did the Seattle Aquarium and Ivar's seafood restaurant, some sorta Seattle icon. We actually got in line for the ferry and then left the car sitting there for an hour while we walked over to Ivar's. No, we ate outside but I didn't share any of my lunch with the seagulls, which were plenty fat enough already. We ate by the fireboats, and yes, photos later.

Whirlwind day, I forget what's next. Ol' Wifehorn and her niece giving updates about Harris all morning long. :biggrin:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Oh, one photo. This is the Space Needle from inside the Chihuly exhibit, the decorations are all super amazing glass creations.

needle_chihuly.jpg
needle_chihuly.jpg (203.61 KiB) Viewed 168 times
Estiveo
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Estiveo »

Ivar's! 🤤 Glad to know it's still there.
Image Image Image Image
MN-Skeptic

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by MN-Skeptic »

In 2021 I rode with my Seattle sister in her pickup from Minnesota to Seattle, then stayed with her for three weeks. We went to the Chihuly exhibit, Seattle’s aquarium, and - several times - to Ivar’s. I’ve been back there twice since then and Ivar’s is definitely one restaurant we eat at.
MN-Skeptic

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by MN-Skeptic »

By the way, I’ve noticed Ivar’s clam chowder at the local Costco. I don’t know if they always have it on hand; I’m not a clam chowder person.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, it was just a quick lunch, we had fish and chips, but the fish was outstanding.

And we love riding the ferry, but I'd probably get jaded if'n I lived here. It's nice to visit.

Note: the ferry is not cheap at all in a car. If you commute to Seattle and back every day, good grief. It's cheaper on foot, and even cheaper for seniors. But it's $44 round trip in a vehicle, and more than that if you have more than one Earthling in your car.

For us, that's okay, we're on vacation and we expect to spend some money. But if we lived here ...
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by bill_g »

I'm no help. Been there many times, but always for work. My days there were drive, work, hotel, drive, work, hotel, rinse - repeat until Friday when it was just drive home. I've been to the air base, sub base, and the multinational software company that we are not allowed to speak anything about except we use their products like most of the rest of the world. Almost zero tourist time in Seattle. My brother wants to move there. I have a married granddaughter in the area, and some cousins. I should put it on my bucket list.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

When I was here in 2021, the waterfront area around the ferry terminals was kind of messed up with construction, and of course it was the second year of the pandemic, so not as much public activity. This time you can see the construction is mostly coming to an end, and they've put a ton of new stuff in the waterfront area, and it's very nice. Still some traffic disruption with a lot of orange cones, but you can see the end of that in a month or two.

It actually got up to 75° today! Sunny! Nice!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

OK, we decided to visit the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium down in Tacoma, instead of the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle, which I've already seen (with jcolvin2) in 2021.

So off we go. On the bright side, Ms. Harris seems to be handling things most effectively. I feel safe leaving the American political chaos behind for a few more days. :towel: :boxing:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by AndyinPA »

Ivar's is great. The best view of the city is not the Space Needle, but from the top of the Columbia Center.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Introduce Yourself”