Hijack This Thread

zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Hijack This Thread

Post by zekeb »

Her job was to manage an organization and its people. She needed a vice president (in corporate terms) to manage how the SS carried out its duties. This was almost like Boeing having a CEO who knows nothing about aircraft engineering.
Largo al factotum.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

that-3.png
that-3.png (180.46 KiB) Viewed 415 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

zekeb wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:49 pm This was almost like Boeing having a CEO who knows nothing about aircraft engineering.
The difference being that she was actually an SS agent assigned to the protective division for 25+ years, including being assigned to Biden during his tenure as VP. She was second or third in command over the entire protective services division before leaving for Pepsi.She absolutely should have known what the fuck she was doing.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Hijack This Thread

Post by northland10 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:58 pm
zekeb wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:49 pm This was almost like Boeing having a CEO who knows nothing about aircraft engineering.
The difference being that she was actually an SS agent assigned to the protective division for 25+ years, including being assigned to Biden during his tenure as VP. She was second or third in command over the entire protective services division before leaving for Pepsi.She absolutely should have known what the fuck she was doing.
The ability to do well in the field does not always translate well to leading from the HQ, especially in an organization that is more than just presidential protection.
101010 :towel:
pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

northland10 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:48 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:58 pm
The ability to do well in the field does not always translate well to leading from the HQ, especially in an organization that is more than just presidential protection.
From Leonnig’s book, I’d say it’s very political with an undermining of leadership if leadership is not your guy(s).
Reddog

Hijack This Thread

Post by Reddog »

I agree that, it seems, the process failed. The problem to me is that the committee was trying to bring transparency to a process which should be in large part opaque.
Hopefully the committee will find some flaws in security as it stands. For instance, if the current system is to secure a 150 yard radius, but ak-47 range is 500 yards, then the committee can dictate that as a standard if one doesn’t exist now. In other words legislating.
That example of expanding the radius opens up other problems. Again for instance; area is a squared function. If a square of sides 2 has an area of 4. Adding 2 to the sides doesn’t double the area to 8, the area goes to 16 squaring 4. Since security is an area problem (because a problem could be anywhere in the area) this will (in my opinion) result in considerable additional funding. Again a legislative function.
I don’t think the SS should be completely open in their methods and personnel. Although, as always, a determined individual will usually manage to find out what they need to know.
I’m not saying she should not have resigned, I just think there’s a lot we don’t know.

Eta: I think a closed hearing may have been called for.
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Still in London after a nearly month long visit attempting to gather up and repack all our crap and we'll be heading home this afternoon. Did I mention how much I hate to fly? :faint: It's okay, I have drugs and intend to sleep as much of the trip as I can.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Safe, and sleepy, travels.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Visiting London sounds like a much different experience than picking the first tomatoe of the season. I'll wait for a bit before I tell y'all I had a fresh BLT last night. It can keep.

... The story. The story about it can keep. Not the sammich. Heavens no. That sammich is long gone. Onward ...
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

I'm flying to Seattle mañana with ol' You Know Who, the plane leaves at 6:30 a.m (if CrowdStrike doesn't interfere, but all the scheduled flights on Delta (hi Delta :wave:) are leaving without delay today, so we think we're in luck), which means we have to get out of bed and turn on the lights and eat something and stuff at FOUR THIRTY IN THE MORNING. :eek:

So that's nice.

I'll be AFK all day long and I have no idea after that.

Somehow you'll just have to muddle through without me. Hay, I see you in the back, snickering and snorting. :fingerwag:

I'm bringing several types of 'puters, and I'll be back Tuesday morning.
I am living in a world far beyond the scope of my imagination. Every time the planet rotates, I wake up in a brand new world full of wonders.
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

Have a great trip! :thumbsup:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

It's gonna be a whirlwind. We're not going to rent a car, so we'll kind of be around the niece, her husband, and her rugrats 24/7, and we're going to fit as much as possible into a very few days.

But our great-nephew is now 6, and his little sister, whom I have never met, is 2. Ol' Wifehorn doesn't have grandchildren. This is it, for rugrat relatives. She's so excited she's walking on air, which makes it hard to turn corners. And I get to experiment upon some unwilling but gullible and trusting laboratory subjects. They don't allow me to be around small children, much. :mrgreen:

No, but I will have fun. I will find a way to have fun. Sadly, the Mariners are out of town this weekend. :(
I am living in a world far beyond the scope of my imagination. Every time the planet rotates, I wake up in a brand new world full of wonders.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Will be waving north and east in your general directions. Both yas - London and Seattle.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:09 pm It's gonna be a whirlwind. We're not going to rent a car, so we'll kind of be around the niece, her husband, and her rugrats 24/7, and we're going to fit as much as possible into a very few days.

But our great-nephew is now 6, and his little sister, whom I have never met, is 2. Ol' Wifehorn doesn't have grandchildren. This is it, for rugrat relatives. She's so excited she's walking on air, which makes it hard to turn corners. And I get to experiment upon some unwilling but gullible and trusting laboratory subjects. They don't allow me to be around small children, much. :mrgreen:

No, but I will have fun. I will find a way to have fun. Sadly, the Mariners are out of town this weekend. :(
I have yet to meet Caleb & Zahra, my great (grand?)-nephew & niece
castigat ridendo mores.
Flatpoint High
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

Qultists have th e correct idea:
castigat ridendo mores.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

usually they only recommend sun lotion ....
Man gets third-degree burns from walking on sand dunes in Death Valley
European visitor rushed to hospital after briefly walking barefoot in California national park amid extreme heat

Associated Press
Fri 26 Jul 2024 00.00 CEST

A European visitor got third-degree burns on his feet while briefly walking barefoot on the sand dunes in California’s Death Valley national park over the weekend, park rangers said Thursday.

The rangers said the visitor was rushed to a hospital in nearby Nevada. Because of language issues, the rangers said they were not immediately able to determine whether the 42-year-old Belgian’s flip-flops had somehow been broken or were lost at Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes during a short Saturday walk.

The ground temperature would have been much hotter than the air temperature that day, which was around 123F (50.5C). Death Valley national park has seen record highs this summer in the desert that sits 194ft (59 meters) below sea level near the California-Nevada line.

The man’s family called on other visitors to carry him to a parking lot. Rangers then drove him to a higher elevation where a medical helicopter would be able to safely land amid extreme temperatures. The man was flown to University medical center in Las Vegas.

The medical center operates the Lions Burn Care Center. During the summer, many patients from Nevada and parts of California go to the center with contact burns such as the ones the Belgian man suffered.

Blazing-hot surfaces such as asphalt and concrete are also a danger for catastrophic burn injuries in the urban areas of the desert south-west. The bulk of the Las Vegas burn center’s patients come from the surrounding urban area, which regularly sees summertime highs in the triple digits.

Thermal injuries from hot surfaces like sidewalks, patios and playground equipment are also common in Arizona’s Maricopa county, which encompasses Phoenix.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... sand-dunes
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Two Top Mexican Cartel Leaders Are Arrested by U.S. Authorities
The two men, Ismael Zambada García and Joaquín Guzmán López, helped run the Sinaloa Cartel, one of the most dominant criminal groups in Mexico.

Natalie Kitroeff reported from Mexico City.
Published July 25, 2024 Updated July 26, 2024, 12:34 a.m. ET

American law enforcement officials arrested two top leaders of the Sinaloa Cartel, one of the most dominant criminal organizations in Mexico, the Justice Department said on Thursday.

The two operatives, Ismael Zambada García and Joaquín Guzmán López, are among the most powerful drug traffickers in Mexico, commanding massive cocaine and fentanyl businesses that move narcotics into the United States, Europe and elsewhere.

Both men were in custody in El Paso, Texas.

The arrests were a victory for the F.B.I., the Drug Enforcement Administration and Homeland Security Investigations, which have been chasing the top ranks of the Sinaloa Cartel for years.

“Fentanyl is the deadliest drug threat our country has ever faced,” Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement. “The Justice Department will not rest until every single cartel leader, member, and associate responsible for poisoning our communities is held accountable.”

Mr. Zambada García, 76, a co-founder of the Sinaloa Cartel who is known as El Mayo, has been charged in several federal indictments stretching back more than two decades.

Officials said he was flown to the United States after being lured onto a private plane under false pretenses by Mr. Guzmán López.

Mr. Guzmán López, a son of the notorious crime boss Joaquín Guzmán Loera, known as El Chapo, is said to have been elevated to a leadership role in the cartel along with his three other brothers after the extradition of his father to the United States in 2017. His brother Ovidio Guzmán López was arrested in Mexico and extradited last September to Chicago, where he is expected to stand trial.

Joaquín Guzmán López is expected to appear in Federal District Court in Chicago in the coming days. It was unclear on Thursday night where Mr. Zambada García would be prosecuted.

Mr. Zambada García has never spent time in jail, according to the U.S. government, unlike his top ally El Chapo, who after his extradition was convicted in Brooklyn federal court in 2019 and sentenced to life in prison on drug conspiracy charges.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/25/worl ... lopez.html

Return to “General Stuff”