GEOLOGY!

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

GEOLOGY!

Post by Foggy »

Excellent news.
I am living in a world far beyond the scope of my imagination. Every time the planet rotates, I wake up in a brand new world full of wonders.
shannon
Verified:

GEOLOGY!

Post by shannon »

EEEEEEP!!

Just got notified that a poster on my research has been accepted for one of the tracks at the GSA (Geological Society of America) "Connects 2024" annual meeting in Anaheim, California (22-25 September)

Guess which girl needs to book her flight and hotel now??

The last couple of months have alternated between "Holy Shit, I'm a Girl!" and "Holy Shit, I'm a Scientist!"
Mad Geoscientist GRADUATE STUDENT in Training
(she/her)
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

GEOLOGY!

Post by Frater I*I »

shannon wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:14 pm EEEEEEP!!

Just got notified that a poster on my research has been accepted for one of the tracks at the GSA (Geological Society of America) "Connects 2024" annual meeting in Anaheim, California (22-25 September)

Guess which girl needs to book her flight and hotel now??

The last couple of months have alternated between "Holy Shit, I'm a Girl!" and "Holy Shit, I'm a Scientist!"
Imma gonna go with "Holy shit it's a girl scientist", since there are so few women in STEM :thumbsup:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
shannon
Verified:

GEOLOGY!

Post by shannon »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:42 pm Imma gonna go with "Holy shit it's a girl scientist", since there are so few women in STEM :thumbsup:
Girl with a rock hammer, that's me. :)
(she/her)
AndyinPA
Verified:

GEOLOGY!

Post by AndyinPA »

:bunny:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Uninformed

GEOLOGY!

Post by Uninformed »

:thumbsup: :clap:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

GEOLOGY!

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:blissy: :bunny: :superhero: :rockon: :groupdance:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

GEOLOGY!

Post by Foggy »

Will wonders never cease? :banana:
I am living in a world far beyond the scope of my imagination. Every time the planet rotates, I wake up in a brand new world full of wonders.
Gene Kooper

GEOLOGY!

Post by Gene Kooper »

jemcanada2 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:18 pm
Frater I*I wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:11 pm
shannon wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:51 pm "Using lidar to examine tsunami traces on select sites in Alaska". (Basically I'm using lidar data to look at terrain "roughness" and changes in channel sinousity in landslide tsunami outwash plains).

:snippity:
Forget layman's terms, do you speak English....? :lol:
What? I understood everything she said

;) ;) :lol:
I too, also understood everything she said.

Congratulations on completing the first year of your graduate studies and the recognition of your research at the AAAS conference. I'm sure you will enjoy the couple of geomorphology courses this coming year. I really enjoyed my undergraduate geomorphology and graduate fluvial geomorphology courses and found them to be very valuable in my later work as a hydrogeologist.

All the best in your future studies and research from a simple rockhead geologist. And allow me to be the first here to utter the soon to be, "Dr. Shannon." :thumbsup:

And, please consider posting some of your research here, esp. images of topographic anomalies and changes in channel sinuosities detected by LiDAR. :prettyplease:

I'm currently involved in a project where I'm scanning fossil beds with a terrestrial 3D laser scanner.
shannon
Verified:

GEOLOGY!

Post by shannon »

Gene Kooper wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:55 pm [ And allow me to be the first here to utter the soon to be, "Dr. Shannon." :thumbsup:

And, please consider posting some of your research here, esp. images of topographic anomalies and changes in channel sinuosities detected by LiDAR. :prettyplease:

I'm currently involved in a project where I'm scanning fossil beds with a terrestrial 3D laser scanner.
I have a long way to go before I get the "Dr." part. Let me finish my M.S. first. :)

And I would love to see that project!!
(she/her)
MikeDunford

GEOLOGY!

Post by MikeDunford »

shannon wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:41 pm
Gene Kooper wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:55 pm [ And allow me to be the first here to utter the soon to be, "Dr. Shannon." :thumbsup:

I have a long way to go before I get the "Dr." part. Let me finish my M.S. first. :)

Hey, geosciences - awesome! What area?
shannon
Verified:

GEOLOGY!

Post by shannon »

MikeDunford wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:02 pm Hey, geosciences - awesome! What area?
Primary field is geomorphology with a secondary in sedimentary study and Quaternary Environments.
(she/her)
MikeDunford

GEOLOGY!

Post by MikeDunford »

Nice. I was a paleo lab tech for a while, back around the turn of the century.
jcolvin2
Verified:

GEOLOGY!

Post by jcolvin2 »

shannon wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:51 pm But I have to blow my own horn a bit. Last month was the American Association for the Advancement of Science (Pacific Division) conference in San Diego. I was invited to present a poster on my thesis research "Using lidar to examine tsunami traces on select sites in Alaska". (Basically I'm using lidar data to look at terrain "roughness" and changes in channel sinousity in landslide tsunami outwash plains).

There were 137 posters, 4 from Central Washington University. Mix of undergrads, grads, and PhDs.

I placed second in the physics, chemistry, and geosciences division.
Geology at CWU? My wife ended up really getting into geology over the last year and a half. She watched a bunch of online lectures made available by Nick Zentner of CWU.

We are now house-hunting in the Seattle area, Armed with an armchair enthusiast's knowledge of geology (along with information about when building codes changed), my wife has eliminated about 90% of the homes in the area as unsuitable due to their vulnerability to earthquakes.

Congratulations on your fine showing at the AAAS conference.
Gene Kooper

GEOLOGY!

Post by Gene Kooper »

shannon wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:41 pm
Gene Kooper wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:55 pm
I'd love to say a bunch more, but....

What I will say is that I named the locale, "Rock Ridge." I'm using two survey instruments on this project. One has a terrestrial camera built into the GNSS antenna that takes a photo every 1/2 second. After processing the individual photos, the result is a colorized dense 3D point cloud. My other instrument is a combination total station/robot with scanner. It is capable of scanning up to 30,000 laser points/second. I'm using them to document the georeferenced positions of individual fossils before they are extracted from the formation. I place the detailed scans onto a base map created from a high-resolution drone survey.

It's the geologic equivalent of the old kids' game of Pick Up Sticks. I'm sure you and Mike would have a blast at Rock Ridge!
Foggy
Dick Tater

GEOLOGY!

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
Because of Gene, I have become a huge fan of the Colorado School of Mines. Now I wish I had gone there for undergraduate school, honestly. I'm a fan of Mines football, too also. I had several of their games in my YouTubeTV library, but they expired. I'll have new ones this year, football season is right 'round the corner! First game September 5th vs. West Texas A&M!
shannon
Verified:

GEOLOGY!

Post by shannon »

jcolvin2 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:04 pm Geology at CWU? My wife ended up really getting into geology over the last year and a half. She watched a bunch of online lectures made available by Nick Zentner of CWU.

We are now house-hunting in the Seattle area, Armed with an armchair enthusiast's knowledge of geology (along with information about when building codes changed), my wife has eliminated about 90% of the homes in the area as unsuitable due to their vulnerability to earthquakes.

Congratulations on your fine showing at the AAAS conference.
Any of Nick's videos since September, I'm in the audience. (It's a required class, "current topics in Geology")

Good luck with the search. Snohomish County is pretty good.
(she/her)
John Thomas8

GEOLOGY!

Post by John Thomas8 »

shannon
Verified:

GEOLOGY!

Post by shannon »

Pretty niffy hydrothermal eruption!
(she/her)
jemcanada2

GEOLOGY!

Post by jemcanada2 »

I’m so happy to see so many geologists and physical geographers here!

I mostly studied glacial geomorphology because where I live has been covered in glaciers during several ice ages. We studied glacial till, moraines, drumlins, eskers, and kames.

I really just enjoyed escaping the lecture hall to go on field trips. ;)
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

GEOLOGY!

Post by keith »

I gotta say I did not understand 95% of the jargon, but I did get a reasonble grasp of the drift of what was said.

Before I switched to computers, I got far enough down the Physics and Chemistry path that I know how to read a scientific paper and get the gist of it without delving into the exact details if I don't need to. The first principle (in my system) is to figure out what it DOESN'T say.

I have a PhD candidate anecdote to relate here but I'm being dragged of to the train to lunch with friends. TTFN
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Chilidog

GEOLOGY!

Post by Chilidog »

This is hilarious
IMG_2502.jpeg
IMG_2502.jpeg (151.82 KiB) Viewed 84 times

Return to “Science”