State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Post by Maybenaut »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:50 pm Trump asks New York appeals court to throw out $454 million civil judgment

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/22/politics ... index.html
Lawyers for Donald Trump asked a New York appeals court Monday to throw out the $454 million judgment in his civil fraud trial, arguing that the monetary penalty was unconstitutional and that most of the case should have been barred because the conduct was too old.

The former president’s attorneys raised several other legal arguments they lost at the trial court-level, including that no bank or counterparty lost money on loans, saying the judge made reversal mistakes in his rulings.

<snip>
I find this sort of commentary so, so annoying. If they hadn’t made and lost these issues at the trial level, they’d likely be considered waived on appeal.

Parenthetically, when I practiced, the government would invariable say something like, “The defense trots out the same tired arguments that failed at trial.” If I responded (sometimes I just let it go), my response ranged from snarky (“So?”) to indignant (“It is indeed regrettable that the United States considers the guarantees of our Constitution “tired,” but in any event…”).
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:43 am
Volkonski wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:50 pm The former president’s attorneys raised several other legal arguments they lost at the trial court-level, including that no bank or counterparty lost money on loans, saying the judge made reversal mistakes in his rulings.
I find this sort of commentary so, so annoying. If they hadn’t made and lost these issues at the trial level, they’d likely be considered waived on appeal.
I wonder how many non-lawyers understand that aspect (object now or forever hold your peace)? It's only relevant to what happens inside courts, not to ordinary folks trying to stay legal. I wouldn't have known it absent my ediculation at Teh Yooniversity of Teh Fogbone. Even then I don't know how universal the principle is in legal systems with a similar heritage, e.g. Britain, other former British colonies, etc.

But YES!! of course you're right Mayb!! Journos or commentators writing about legal activities should understand those relatively elementary facts. They shouldn't be more ignorant than me, which is setting a low bar.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:07 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:43 am
Volkonski wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:50 pm The former president’s attorneys raised several other legal arguments they lost at the trial court-level, including that no bank or counterparty lost money on loans, saying the judge made reversal mistakes in his rulings.
I wonder how many non-lawyers understand that aspect (object now or forever hold your peace)? It's only relevant to what happens inside courts, not to ordinary folks trying to stay legal. I wouldn't have known it absent my ediculation at Teh Yooniversity of Teh Fogbone. Even then I don't know how universal the principle is in legal systems with a similar heritage, e.g. Britain, other former British colonies, etc.

But YES!! of course you're right Mayb!! Journos or commentators writing about legal activities should understand those relatively elementary facts. They shouldn't be more ignorant than me, which is setting a low bar.
It’s not universal. Some things are never waived. Varies with jurisdictions (states and fed each have their own rules), and varies depending on civil vs. criminal.

But most things are waived. My main problem with the commentary is that the writer is trying to show that the arguments are weak solely because they failed at trial. Maybe they are weak; maybe they’re not. But *almost* every successful appeal started with an argument that failed at trial.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bob

Post by bob »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:31 pmBut *almost* every successful appeal started with an argument that failed at trial.
:yeahthat:

And it simply better (and more accurate) writing to say, "His lawyers argued the trial court made several errors."

Compare
The former president’s attorneys raised several other legal arguments they lost at the trial court-level, including that no bank or counterparty lost money on loans, saying the judge made reversal mistakes in his rulings.
with
The former president’s attorneys said the trial judge made reversal mistakes in his rulings, and highlighted no bank or counterparty lost money on loans.
Image ImageImage
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I know this is a very simplistic comparison, but whenever I read that, I think to myself, Sure judge, I was doing 120 on the interstate, but I didn't crash and nobody was injured.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

the trial judge made reversal mistakes
No. The trial judge made reversible mistakes. Sheesh. :roll:

That's a diction error.
I am living in a world far beyond the scope of my imagination. Every time the planet rotates, I wake up in a brand new world full of wonders.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

It always bugs me when, after some obvious and gruesome crime, the culprit pleads Not Guilty at the arraignment, and MMS and SM lose their collective shizzle at the audacity. No one explains that the NG plea at that point is (always/often?) mandatory.
bob

Post by bob »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:17 pmNo one explains that the NG plea at that point is (always/often?) mandatory.
Not guilty is the presumptive plea. If the defendant refuses to plea (and some do), the court just enters a not-guilty plea on their behalf.

Sometimes there are guilty pleas at arraignment when there's a pre-arraignment deal already in place.

And, very rarely, sometimes defendants do plead guilty at the outset, believing they'll get a lighter sentence if they do. (That's when it would be appropriate to lose the shizzle; it is that rare.)
Image ImageImage

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”