7/21: Biden "Stands Down". Should (Will?) President Joe Biden Drop Out of the 2024 Presidential Race? Poll & Editorials

Should President Joe Biden Drop Out of the 2024 Presidential Race?

Yes
18%
No
80%
Other (explain)
2%

Total votes: 65

pipistrelle

7/21: Biden "Stands Down". Should (Will?) President Joe Biden Drop Out of the 2024 Presidential Race? Poll & Editorials

Post by pipistrelle »

This “not fit” sh!t pisses me off.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

So far as I know, his statement regarding his withdrawal did not admit to any lack of fitness, solely that he had made the decision not to continue.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:18 pm So far as I know, his statement regarding his withdrawal did not admit to any lack of fitness, solely that he had made the decision not to continue.
Exactly.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Laura McGann is WaPo senior editor of opinions section. And the reason many dropped their subscription.
IMG_3324.jpeg
IMG_3324.jpeg (225.65 KiB) Viewed 293 times
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I used to follow Brian Stelter on Twitter. I dropped him when he started his Biden attacks.
bob

Post by bob »

Biden's method seems at least reasonable. :roll:
Image ImageImage
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

He probably lost his voice with the COVID. I'm sure he will address the nation when he gets it back.
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

RVInit wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:21 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:18 pm So far as I know, his statement regarding his withdrawal did not admit to any lack of fitness, solely that he had made the decision not to continue.
Exactly.
Amusingly, given Biden's Catholicism, I have been comparing him to this particular Poor Little Jewish Boy's favorite Catholic Saint, Thomas More, especially given the hullaballoo about what his resignation 'must say' about his fitness to serve and those calling for him to just resign now. While it's a dramatization, I'm particularly fond of A Man For All Seasons.
Sir Thomas More: You may suppose I have objections. All you know is that I will not swear to it, for which you cannot lawfully harm me further.
The world can think what it wants of President Unca Joe's reasons. His detractors can think it's because he has been convinced he's no longer fit, or simply that he can no longer win. But until he admits being unfit, or someone invokes the 25th Amendment, their accusations won't add a penny to the cash in hand necessary to buy a latte.

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I know I was a kid at the time, but I don't recall anyone demanding Johnson resign when he decided not to seek election.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RVInit wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 8:21 pm
Exactly.
The media has been making the statements about his fitness, or supposed lack of.

He's supposed to have a longer statement later in the week, IIRC.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Kendra wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:52 pm https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/21/politics ... index.html
House Speaker Mike Johnson called on President Joe Biden to resign “immediately” in the wake of Biden’s announcement that he will not seek reelection.

“If Joe Biden is not fit to run for President, he is not fit to serve as President. He must resign the office immediately,” Johnson, a Republican from Louisiana, said in a statement Sunday afternoon.

Biden ended his reelection bid and endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris to succeed him on Sunday, in a major and historic move that upends the presidential race.
:snippity:
GOP Rep. Nancy Mace of South Carolina said that she plans to introduce a resolution on Monday that calls on Harris to invoke the 25th Amendment and assume Biden’s duties.

“If Joe Biden does not have the cognitive ability to seek reelection, he does not have the cognitive ability to serve the remainder of his term,” she said.
:snippity:
You scared bro? You sound scared.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

The guy has Covid. That alone is a pretty good reason why he didn't make a "presidential address," whatever that means. No conspiracy needed.

I'm sure they will have him as secretly dead in the next day or so. And if he does make a statement they will say its AI and that Hunter is running the whitehouse. IMPEACH HIS CORPSE!
Hic sunt dracones
bob

Post by bob »

Suranis wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:06 am I'm sure they will have him as secretly dead in the next day or so.
On the bird site, Biden is already secretly dead. :smoking:

Meanwhile:

Harvard Law is not sending their best.
Image ImageImage
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

bob wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:20 am
Suranis wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:06 am I'm sure they will have him as secretly dead in the next day or so.
On the bird site, Biden is already secretly dead. :smoking:

Meanwhile:

Harvard Law is not sending their best.
You know, given that a certain new Democratic Presidential candidated attended Howard and UC Hastings, this opens a new line of attack that the *GOP* (FJT - Wharton, JDV - Yale, Teddy C - Harvard) are the new educational elitists.

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Random thought this morning before coffee. For all the nitwits stomping around threatening to sue the states if they take Biden off the ballot, how would they attain standing? Would it have to be an actual candidate? Someone who voted for Biden in the primary? And what law would they sue under? Does any state or FEC rules, or even rules of the parties, have some prohibition against dropping out of the race?

I know that anyone can sue anybody for anything but I'm asking what they could possibly file that would make it past the first trashcan. I'm pretty sure the insane theory I saw yesterday that they can sue, get the case assigned to Cannon and she could send it straight to SCOTUS immediately, is a load of hooey. But who the hell even knows any more?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Marc Elias assured everyone yesterday that Harris will be on all 50 state ballots.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Well, we live in exciting and historic times, my fellow boogle.

I had the thought last night about 3 am that Joe should resign as soon as Kamala decides on a VP, and let the two of them show the country what they would do as president and vice president.

But now I've had some covfefe and I'm rethinking. :mrgreen:
"Man Struck By Lightning Faces Battery Charge"
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Wouldn't the Senate have to confirm her VP? Do you think that's likely? If so, I think it might be good if she runs as an incumbent.
June bug

Post by June bug »

Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:57 am House and senate
And that’s exactly why you have the Speaker and other GQP Congress critters calling for Biden to resign or the 25th to be invoked. This Republican House would never confirm a strong nominee for VP. (See Bob Russell, season 5 of West Wing.)
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Don't let the Republicans select the Democratic candidate again like they did with Hillary.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

June bug wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:19 am
Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:57 am House and senate
And that’s exactly why you have the Speaker and other GQP Congress critters calling for Biden to resign or the 25th to be invoked. This Republican House would never confirm a strong nominee for VP. (See Bob Russell, season 5 of West Wing.)
Good ole Bingo Bob.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Let Biden continue to do the job he does so well while Kamala concentrates on campaigning. Republicans are going to do their best to put up roadblocks and we don’t need to add to the chaos they want.

Return to “US President”