7/21: Biden "Stands Down". Should (Will?) President Joe Biden Drop Out of the 2024 Presidential Race? Poll & Editorials

Should President Joe Biden Drop Out of the 2024 Presidential Race?

Yes
18%
No
80%
Other (explain)
2%

Total votes: 65

MN-Skeptic

7/21: Biden "Stands Down". Should (Will?) President Joe Biden Drop Out of the 2024 Presidential Race? Poll & Editorials

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Dr. Ken wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:05 pm Can we start digging into the assassination attempt? Without that I don't think Joe would have bowed out. Joe was gaining the momentum back. There needs to be pressure to release the medical report
Yeah, we'll get the medical report right after Trump releases his tax returns.
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

RVInit wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:19 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:45 pm Can the media start with the "I can't believe the gop is running with an old guy" tactic now?
:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat: And I want them to endlessly talk about how unfit he is and how he needs to drop the fuck out.

I had wished upon wish that Biden had decided not to run way way way way back as I had expected right from the start. But once he decided to run I was all in on getting him reelected. I was hoping that we would have a truly exciting youthful Democrat on the ticket. I love Kamala and so glad Biden has backed her. I was so proud to vote for Hillary. I was so proud to vote for Joe. I will be so proud to vote for Kamala.
I don't believe he wanted to run 2 terms until it was clear Trump was gonna run again.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

sad-cafe wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:17 pm is that a joke?
Kelly is a poor speaker (or was every time I've heard him speak, which is not recently).

Buttigieg, Whitmer, Shapiro (would hate to see him leave PA even more than I'd hate to see Whitmer leave Mich), Corey Booker, etc., etc.

Anyone who is not a mealy-mouthed clone--or a "moderate" (i.e., Manchin, who is, like all such names, no fucking moderate).
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

p0rtia wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:23 pm
sad-cafe wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:17 pm is that a joke?
Kelly is a poor speaker (or was every time I've heard him speak, which is not recently).

Buttigieg, Whitmer, Shapiro (would hate to see him leave PA even more than I'd hate to see Whitmer leave Mich), Corey Booker, etc., etc.

Anyone who is not a mealy-mouthed clone--or a "moderate" (i.e., Manchin, who is, like all such names, no fucking moderate).
Absolutely. Manchin can go suck rotten eggs, I hate that rat bastard.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Joe Biden apparently made his own decision. That's what I was waiting for. If he hadn't stepped down, I would have supported him 110%, as y'all know.

But that's over and done with. Let's move on. :towel:
"Man Struck By Lightning Faces Battery Charge"
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Statement from President Obama:

My Statement on President Biden’s Announcement
Barack Obama

Joe Biden has been one of America’s most consequential presidents, as well as a dear friend and partner to me. Today, we’ve also been reminded — again — that he’s a patriot of the highest order.

Sixteen years ago, when I began my search for a vice president, I knew about Joe’s remarkable career in public service. But what I came to admire even more was his character — his deep empathy and hard-earned resilience; his fundamental decency and belief that everyone counts.

Since taking office, President Biden has displayed that character again and again. He helped end the pandemic, created millions of jobs, lowered the cost of prescription drugs, passed the first major piece of gun safety legislation in 30 years, made the biggest investment to address climate change in history, and fought to ensure the rights of working people to organize for fair wages and benefits. Internationally, he restored America’s standing in the world, revitalized NATO, and mobilized the world to stand up against Russian aggression in Ukraine.

More than that, President Biden pointed us away from the four years of chaos, falsehood, and division that had characterized Donald Trump’s administration. Through his policies and his example, Joe has reminded us of who we are at our best — a country committed to old-fashioned values like trust and honesty, kindness and hard work; a country that believes in democracy, rule of law, and accountability; a country that insists that everyone, no matter who they are, has a voice and deserves a chance at a better life.

This outstanding track record gave President Biden every right to run for re-election and finish the job he started. Joe understands better than anyone the stakes in this election — how everything he has fought for throughout his life, and everything that the Democratic Party stands for, will be at risk if we allow Donald Trump back in the White House and give Republicans control of Congress.

I also know Joe has never backed down from a fight. For him to look at the political landscape and decide that he should pass the torch to a new nominee is surely one of the toughest in his life. But I know he wouldn’t make this decision unless he believed it was right for America. It’s a testament to Joe Biden’s love of country — and a historic example of a genuine public servant once again putting the interests of the American people ahead of his own that future generations of leaders will do well to follow.

We will be navigating uncharted waters in the days ahead. But I have extraordinary confidence that the leaders of our party will be able to create a process from which an outstanding nominee emerges. I believe that Joe Biden’s vision of a generous, prosperous, and united America that provides opportunity for everyone will be on full display at the Democratic Convention in August. And I expect that every single one of us are prepared to carry that message of hope and progress forward into November and beyond.

For now, Michelle and I just want to express our love and gratitude to Joe and Jill for leading us so ably and courageously during these perilous times — and for their commitment to the ideals of freedom and equality that this country was founded on.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Jeez, did he not endorse Harris?
"Man Struck By Lightning Faces Battery Charge"
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 3:50 pm Jeez, did he not endorse Harris?
Doesn't look like it. I hope he releases a second statement
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Calming down enough to point out (mostly to myself) that no serious candidate is gonna be the one to try to contest Harris. Indeed, Whitmer and CA dude whose name always escapes me have already said they would not.

Yes i know, ego and all, but this isn't about ego. It's about political savvy. No serious candidate.
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

Jim Clyburn endorses Harris.

Elizabeth Warren endorses Harris.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

-
Major eye roll. I hate Dean Phillips. And he's my Rep.
-
https://x.com/garrison_hayes/status/1815040733499273631
Garrison Hayes
@garrison_hayes

Congressman Dean Philips calls for vice president Kamala Harris to “introduce [herself] to the country” through an “open primary” process if Biden steps aside.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Fuck. I've never been more miserable to be wrong. This bout of Covid must have flattened him.

The next step ion the ratfuck process will be "We demand a competitive process to choose our nominee, you didn't give it to us THE DNC ARE TYRANTS WARBLE GHARBLE!!!" You know, Bernie all over again.

Joe should give all his delegates to Harris, Harris should chose a VP and give them a fait acomplit. Even so there is going to be war at the Convention from Republican proxies trying to cause trouble,
Hic sunt dracones
bob

Post by bob »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 4:07 pm -
Major eye roll. I hate Dean Phillips. And he's my Rep.
-
https://x.com/garrison_hayes/status/1815040733499273631
Garrison Hayes
@garrison_hayes

Congressman Dean Philips calls for vice president Kamala Harris to “introduce [herself] to the country” through an “open primary” process if Biden steps aside.
And:
Image ImageImage
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Fuck Phillips. Doing this all over again will split the party
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Naomi Biden @NaomiBiden
I’m nothing but proud today of my Pop, our President, Joe Biden, who has served our country with every bit of his soul and with unmatched distinction. Not only has he been—and will continue to be—the most effective president of our lifetime, but he has likely already cemented himself as the most effective and impactful public servant in our nation’s history. He has been at the center of, and had a material impact on, literally every single major issue that our country and world has faced for 50 years. Our world is better today in so many ways thanks to him. To the Americans who have always had his back, keep the faith. He will always have ours.
1:59 PM · Jul 21, 2024 2.8M Views

Haha The impeached Felon donated to Kamala Harris!

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Okay george Clooney and Hollywood you better have your endorsements for Harris out in the next hour
Luke

Post by Luke »

NEW: Biden for President just updated its FEC records to Harris for President.

poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

I could be wrong, but somehow I feel that this was well-planned 3-D chess move. Regardless, I just donated to Harris. I donated to Biden in 2020 and that was my very first political donation ever.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Well, I guess it's always better to force your opponent to react to your move than to keep reacting to theirs.
Hic sunt dracones
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Joe should spend the rest of his time getting the SCROTUS back to something that at least appears to be competent.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Should replace garland as well
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

The Democrats will respect the Constitution and not pick Newsom as a running mate I assume? Unlike 2000 when Cheney was conveniently determined to be from Wyoming.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/21/politics ... index.html
House Speaker Mike Johnson called on President Joe Biden to resign “immediately” in the wake of Biden’s announcement that he will not seek reelection.

“If Joe Biden is not fit to run for President, he is not fit to serve as President. He must resign the office immediately,” Johnson, a Republican from Louisiana, said in a statement Sunday afternoon.

Biden ended his reelection bid and endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris to succeed him on Sunday, in a major and historic move that upends the presidential race.
:snippity:
GOP Rep. Nancy Mace of South Carolina said that she plans to introduce a resolution on Monday that calls on Harris to invoke the 25th Amendment and assume Biden’s duties.

“If Joe Biden does not have the cognitive ability to seek reelection, he does not have the cognitive ability to serve the remainder of his term,” she said.
:snippity:
bob

Post by bob »

Speaker Johnson wrote: If Joe Biden is not fit to run for President, he is not fit to serve as President. He must resign the office immediately,” Johnson, a Republican from Louisiana, said in a statement Sunday afternoon.
Dooooooo it. "Dog Catches Car, Part 2." (President Harris still could serve through January 20, 2033.)
Rep. Mace wrote:If Joe Biden does not have the cognitive ability to seek reelection, he does not have the cognitive ability to serve the remainder of his term,” she said.
"Ma'am, this is a Wendy's."
Image ImageImage

Return to “US President”