POLL: Who Should Kamala Harris Choose as Her VP Now That President Biden Declined The Nomination? (If Nominee)

Who should Kamala Harris choose as her VP if President Biden steps down?

Josh Shapiro - PA Gov
19%
Pete Buttigieg - DOT Secretary
35%
Andy Beshear - KY Gov
7%
Roy Cooper - NC Gov
14%
Mark Kelly - AZ Sen
5%
Jared Polis - CO Gov
No votes
JB Pritzker - IL Gov
12%
Gavin Newsom & Gretchen Whitmer - Passed
No votes
Other
No votes
Only Ridin' With Biden - No Change
9%

Total votes: 43

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

POLL: Who Should Kamala Harris Choose as Her VP Now That President Biden Declined The Nomination? (If Nominee)

Post by Luke »

Based on reported factors like polling, public statements, donor hesitations, and concerns over President Biden's health (including his third bout of COVID), there's speculation he may be considering stepping down. In my opinion, snubbing Kamala Harris for the presidential nomination would be a bad move—messy, risky, and disrespectful to VP Harris and the Democratic base. "First, do no harm."

Given these circumstances, who would make the best Vice Presidential choice? Typically, selecting a VP nominee involves several strategic factors. Here's what I believe are the typical considerations:

Balance the Ticket:
Geographic Balance: Choosing a running mate from a different region to appeal to a broader range of voters.
Ideological Balance: Selecting a VP with a slightly different political stance within the party to attract a wider spectrum of voters.

Complement the Presidential Nominee:
Experience: If the presidential candidate lacks experience in certain areas (e.g., foreign policy), the VP might be chosen to fill that gap.
Personality and Style: The VP’s demeanor and approach should complement and enhance the presidential candidate’s image.

Party Unity:
Appeal to Different Factions: The VP nominee often helps to unite various factions within the party, ensuring broad support.

Demographic Appeal:
Diversity: Reflecting the diversity of the electorate in terms of race, gender, age, and ethnicity.
Voter Blocks: Targeting specific voter groups (e.g., young voters, women, minorities) who are crucial for the election.

Electoral Advantage:
Swing States: A VP candidate from a key swing state can potentially deliver that state’s electoral votes.
Popularity and Charisma: A candidate who is well-liked and can energize the base and attract undecided voters.

Governing Partnership:
Compatibility: Ensuring the VP can work effectively with the president.
Readiness to Govern: The VP should be seen as capable of stepping into the presidential role if necessary.

Political and Campaign Skills:
Effective Campaigner: Someone who can campaign vigorously across the country.
Fundraising Ability: Proven ability to help raise funds for the campaign.

Personal Integrity and Background:
Clean Record: Minimal personal or professional scandals that could detract from the campaign.
Vettable: Must be able to withstand intense public and media scrutiny.

Strategic Timing:
Campaign Momentum: The timing of the VP announcement can be used to generate media attention and boost the campaign’s momentum.
News Cycles: Coordinating the announcement to maximize positive coverage.

Policy Expertise:
Specific Knowledge: Bringing specific knowledge or expertise to the administration's key policy areas (e.g., economics, healthcare).

Considering these factors, potential VP candidates could include Josh Shapiro, Pete Buttigieg, Gavin Newsom, Gretchen Whitmer, Bob Casey, Jared Polis, JB Pritzker, Andy Beshear, Joe Manchin, Tim Ryan, Jennifer Granholm, Wes Moore, and Sally Yates.

While these are notable contenders, there are many other qualified individuals worth considering. I'm interested in hearing and sharing thoughts on who you believe would be the best choice in this critical moment. Also included a Ridin' With Biden option to make no change even though that's outside the hypothetical.

ETA: Posted this before I saw this huge poll, July 13 - 16, 2024 - 1582 U.S. Adult Citizens:
79 percent of Democrats approve of Harris replacing Biden if he steps aside: Poll
BY LAUREN SFORZA - 07/18/24 8:59 AM ET

An overwhelming majority of Democrats say they approve of Vice President Harris replacing President Biden atop the ticket if he decides to step aside, according to a poll released Thursday.

The Economist/YouGov survey found 79 percent of Democrats would support Harris at the party’s nominee in November if Biden chose to withdraw from the race. A growing number of Democrats are calling for the incumbent to step aside in the wake of a poor debate performance against former President Trump last month.
https://d3nkl3psvxxpe9.cloudfront.net/d ... Pu9WiO.pdf

Crosstab Report:
econTabReport_sPu9WiO.pdf
(264.58 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
RVInit

POLL: Who Should Kamala Harris Choose as Her VP if President Biden Steps Down?

Post by RVInit »

We really do have so many great people to choose from. I choose Buttigieg for a number of reasons, but would be happy with a number of those on the list. One of the many things I like about Buttigieg is his willingness to appear on Fox spews and the fact that he actually seems to make inroads with some of the less militant of their viewers.

Some really great choices listed here - I think Democrats have good reason to be proud.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

Josh Shapiro- good leader, good in conversation.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I was sitting here thinking about the fact that Kamala might want someone with U.S. Senate experience, so... who would that be? Of course... my Minnesota senator Amy Klobuchar! I would SO love that, but I know that would never be. But it still makes me smile at the thought!
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Other: Roy Cooper, current North Carolina governor.
realist

Post by realist »

People are dreaming if they believe Kamala could win a national election against Trump. Or pretty much anyone else.
:roll:
Image X 4
Image X 32
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

realist wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:15 pm People are dreaming if they believe Kamala could win a national election against Trump. Or pretty much anyone else.
:roll:
Ya, I was going sarcastically vote for Hulk Hogan.

As I said before, they wouldn't be pushing this hard if they thought she had a chance in hell against Trump.
Hic sunt dracones
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Buttigieg.

Did I say this already?

I'll say it again.

You want motivation and engagement by the voters? That'll do it.
June bug

Post by June bug »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:56 pm Buttigieg.

Did I say this already?

I'll say it again.

You want motivation and engagement by the voters? That'll do it.
100% agree!
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

BIDEN IS MY PRES

I WILL VOTE FOR HIM AGAIN
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Update. With this new info, I'm going to reset the poll with Mark Kelly and Roy Cooper (John Thomas is right, forgot to add him). Please revote.
Biden decision on future expected in coming days, and Harris is considered heir apparent
BY ALEXANDER BOLTON AND AMIE PARNES - 07/18/24 7:21 PM ET

Well-connected Democratic Party insiders say they expect President Biden to make a major announcement about his future soon after the Republican National Convention concludes in Milwaukee and that congressional leaders expect that Vice President Harris will become their nominee for president if Biden drops his reelection bid.

The talk among high-level Democratic strategists and donors has now turned to who is best positioned to serve has Harris’s running mate, and the short list has boiled down to Sen. Mark Kelly (D-Ariz.), Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear and North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom and Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer have communicated to senior party leaders that they would not be interested in serving as Harris’s running mate, according to a person familiar with the candidates in the mix to join Harris atop the ticket.
More: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... ning-mate/
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I'm taking a pass on this Q for now. Seems way premature.
realist

Post by realist »

Luke wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:13 pm Update. With this new info, I'm going to reset the poll with Mark Kelly and Roy Cooper (John Thomas is right, forgot to add him). Please revote.
Biden decision on future expected in coming days, and Harris is considered heir apparent
BY ALEXANDER BOLTON AND AMIE PARNES - 07/18/24 7:21 PM ET

Well-connected Democratic Party insiders say they expect President Biden to make a major announcement about his future soon after the Republican National Convention concludes in Milwaukee and that congressional leaders expect that Vice President Harris will become their nominee for president if Biden drops his reelection bid.

The talk among high-level Democratic strategists and donors has now turned to who is best positioned to serve has Harris’s running mate, and the short list has boiled down to Sen. Mark Kelly (D-Ariz.), Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear and North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom and Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer have communicated to senior party leaders that they would not be interested in serving as Harris’s running mate, according to a person familiar with the candidates in the mix to join Harris atop the ticket.
More: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... ning-mate/
If they run Harris, they might as well not have an election. This is insane. Democrats stepping in their own dicks. Again.
Image X 4
Image X 32
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Fuck all this crazy speculation. This is exactly what Trump, the fascist party, and the Russian troll/bot farms want us to be doing.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I bet actual well connected Democrats and Donors are wondering who those other guys are. :roll:

Update my vote to the Undertaker.
Hic sunt dracones
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

SuzieC wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:46 pm Fuck all this crazy speculation. This is exactly what Trump, the fascist party, and the Russian troll/bot farms want us to be doing.
Yup. CNN did up the whole biden dementia thing after the debate because they had low ratings
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Dr. Ken wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:10 pm
SuzieC wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:46 pm Fuck all this crazy speculation. This is exactly what Trump, the fascist party, and the Russian troll/bot farms want us to be doing.
Yup. CNN did up the whole biden dementia thing after the debate because they had low ratings
I saw claims of that but no backup.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

No, CNN did it because they default to kissing Trump ass. It had zip to do with ratings. They would probably have gotten better ratings by not banging the shithead drum.

I cannot believe that this rediculous doomcasting has gotten to the point of people speculating who Haris's VP pick will be, in the guise of "We are just asking questions!!!" Ask the question in 2 years time. You have an election to win.
Hic sunt dracones
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

For me I tossed a coin between Pritzker and Buttigieg. Pritzker won on the toss, but either would make me happy.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

It matters not which I prefer..
And if on the day Biden doesn’t stand it doesn’t matter who is picked for the ticket - because it will be the last election that has a chance of Democratic win.
realist

Post by realist »

Suranis wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:12 pm No, CNN did it because they default to kissing Trump ass. It had zip to do with ratings. They would probably have gotten better ratings by not banging the shithead drum.

I cannot believe that this rediculous doomcasting has gotten to the point of people speculating who Haris's VP pick will be, in the guise of "We are just asking questions!!!" Ask the question in 2 years time. You have an election to win.
:yeahthat:
Image X 4
Image X 32
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

I mean, to be fair, them navels ain't gonna gaze at themselves.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

And Navels have such gazability.
Hic sunt dracones
Dr. Ken

POLL: Who Should Kamala Harris Choose as Her VP?

Post by Dr. Ken »

Welp title change needed. I expect Trump to go full birther again. Who knows what will happen with this Supreme Court
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

As much as I love Pete Buttigieg, I don't think he adds anything to the ticket. That said, I sincerely hope President Harris has an important position for him.

Return to “US President”