Who will be tfg's vice presidential candidate?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly

Governor Doug Burgum of North Dakota
25%
Senator J.D. Vance of Ohio
46%
Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina
4%
Senator Marco Rubio of Florida
No votes
Representative Marjorie Taylor Green of Georgia
No votes
Vivek Ramaswamy
No votes
Ben Carson, former housing secretary
8%
Representative Byron Donalds of Florida
No votes
Representative Elise Stefanik of New York
4%
Someone else (please name in comments)
13%

Total votes: 24

much ado

Post by much ado »

Yes
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Just throwing this out there.

REVIEW: THINKING ABOUT READING 'HILLBILLY ELEGY?' DON'T | The memoir depicting the Appalachian region pats negative stereotypes on the back

The only statement I disagree with.
I don't want to demean J. D. Vance's experiences — I do believe that his struggles are and were real.
As you all know, I don't. I never got the impression he was poor, for one.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:51 pm
Former president Donald Trump has chosen Sen. J.D. Vance of Ohio as his running mate in the 2024 election. On the first day of the Republican National Convention, Vance, 39, strode onto the floor alongside his wife, Usha Vance, whom he met at Yale Law School.
Cut through the 2024 election noise. Get The Campaign Moment newsletter.

Vance has publicly praised his wife in interviews, calling her “brilliant” and “way more accomplished than I am.”

Here’s what to know about Usha Vance.
https://wapo.st/4cKEtVo Gifted
Not so brilliant. She married him. And changed parties.

I kind of put him down as a slightly less repulsive Miller. Without charm or charisma that I can see.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Who is Usha Vance, the Indian American lawyer married to JD Vance?
The lawyer who was once a registered Democrat has been welcomed by Republicans as a sign of generational change

David Smith in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Wed 17 Jul 2024 12.00 CEST

Many Republicans have welcomed Usha Vance, the Indian American wife of vice-presidential nominee JD Vance, as a symbol of generational change and growing diversity in the party ranks.

Usha, 38, a corporate lawyer who used to be a registered Democrat, is the daughter of Indian immigrants and a practicing Hindu.

Danny Willis, 25, chair of Delaware Young Republicans, said: “With this ticket, with the show of diversity in what would be the second gentleman and second lady of the United States, I’m extremely proud to be a Hispanic male and a Republican.”

Usha has a very different story to tell from the last Republican second lady, Karen Pence, a white grandmother and devout Christian from Indiana who was an elementary school teacher and watercolour artist.

She is the daughter of Krish and Lakshmi Chilukuri, who hail from the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh and later settled in California. Krish is an engineer and university lecturer; Lakshmi a biologist and college provost. They are part of a tight-knit community of Indian American academics in suburban San Diego.

Usha recalled in a recent Fox News interview: “I did grow up in a religious household, my parents are Hindu, and I think that was one of the things that made them such good parents, that make them really very good people.”

Even as a child, Usha seemed a stranger to self-doubt. In a 2022 profile in the New York Times, Vikram Rao, a family friend who works in Silicon Valley, was quoted as saying: “By age five or six, she had assumed a leadership role. She decided which board games we were going to play and what the rules were going to be. She was never mean or unkind, but she was the boss.”

The same Times article noted that, between 2007 and 2010, “Usha posted 65 ‘read’ books to her Goodreads account, including novels by Zadie Smith, Jonathan Safran Foer and Vladimir Nabokov, as well as nonfiction by Nina Burleigh and Nicholas Kristof. Then her account went dormant for six years.”

Usha met JD Vance at Yale Law School, where together they organised a discussion group on “social decline in white America” – a theme he would return to in his bestselling memoir Hillbilly Elegy.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... vance-wife
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Trump’s choice of Vance ‘terrible news’ for Ukraine, Europe experts warn
Running mate likely to push Trump to pursue ‘America first’ foreign policy and deal with Putin to end war in Ukraine

Andrew Roth in Washington
Wed 17 Jul 2024 08.00 CEST

Donald Trump’s choice of JD Vance as his vice-presidential pick has reignited fears in Europe that he would pursue a transactional “America first” foreign policy that could culminate in the US pushing for Ukraine to acquiesce to Vladimir Putin and sue for peace with Russia.

Senator from Ohio JD Vance on Monday at the Republican national convention, where he was nominated as Donald Trump’s running mate.
JD Vance once worried Trump was ‘America’s Hitler’. Now his own authoritarian leanings come into view
Read more
“It’s bad for us but it’s terrible news for [Ukraine],” said one senior European diplomat in Washington. “[Vance] is not our ally.”

Foreign diplomats and observers have frequently called Trump’s actual policies a “black box,” saying that was impossible to know for certain what the unpredictable leader would do when in power.

Some have soothed themselves by suggesting that names tipped for top positions, such as former national security adviser Robert O’Brien, would maintain a foreign policy status quo while Trump focuses on domestic affairs.

But a prospective Trump administration now has a much more energetic surrogate who will fuel Trump’s skepticism towards Ukraine and Europe, while urging on the party’s aggressive trade and foreign policy elsewhere around the globe.

“Senator Vance was one of the leading opponents of the new assistance package to Ukraine last spring and has expressed indifference to what happens in that war,” said Michael McFaul, director at the Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies and a former ambassador to Russia. “By choosing Vance as his running mate, Trump has clarified a very clear choice for American voters in November on foreign policy.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... vp-ukraine
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Donald Trump is terrible news for the world. Vance is just icing. And young-ish.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:25 am Donald Trump is terrible news for the world. Vance is just icing. And young-ish.
He has a clear chance to move up the food chain ought the lard blob deflate :mad:

NADT
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:25 am Donald Trump is terrible news for the world. Vance is just icing. And young-ish.
And he's shorter than donnie dookiepants
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
bob

Post by bob »

Flatpoint High wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:43 am
To steal from the bird site: Tiny Vancer.
Image ImageImage
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

bob wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:58 am
Flatpoint High wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 10:43 am
To steal from the bird site: Tiny Vancer.
Aw, man, now the first song I ever considered the love song for a relationship of mine (with the high school sweetheart I ain't spoken to since my early 20s) is now ruined.

Dang it, Bob!
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

And the sucking up starts
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

What does that have to do with being a president?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:43 pm What does that have to do with being a president?
Well, you know, Carter kept bringing up his Peanut farm, and everyone complimented him on his Peanuts. So its important.
Hic sunt dracones
bob

Post by bob »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:43 pm What does that have to do with being a president?
Everybody loves a winner.*

On the bird site, conservatives especially view politics as sports. As in, there's no fundamental philosophical differences between the parties. Just winners and losers, and of course everyone wants to be on the winning team.

Image ImageImage
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Trump has always maintained that he's the man for the job because he's a successful businessman, a self-made billionaire. (Yeah, I know.) Vance is just doing his job of feeding Trump's ego. Plus, who's ever stayed at a Trump property? Republicans are depending on the gullibility of voters and this praise will be swallowed whole by the ignorant.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

This thread. Writer posits that with Vance, trump is expendable to his russian bosses. They fear his bumbling when they get a vancepuppet who is in the tank, but also not an idiot.

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Cowards. No surprise, though.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Vance and Jr. have the same poorly executed beard, except Trump likely loves Vance more. In both cases, the manly man beard hides weak or double chins.

Vance claimed his mother was a drug addict. Most people on twitter think Jr. is high much of the time (general consensus is cocaine). No expert here-I don't do drugs-but even I can tell he's high, or has some serious short circuiting going on. Vance hasn't noticed, hmmm?
bob

Post by bob »

Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yeah. He's worse.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:47 pm Yeah. He's worse.
He's a smart stupid vs. a stupid stupid.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I think he means that Vance does not have a thimbleful of Palin's charisma. And Palin had charisma. The Press loved her, she genuinely had crowds of people eating out of her hand, and the performers said when she appeared on SNL that she was charming and just rolled with the Jokes with good humour.

This guy isn't going to light the world on fire like Palin did, even for a few days. He's a walking tree stump with a carbon fibre rod up his ass.
Hic sunt dracones
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

Suranis wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:04 pm I think he means that Vance does not have a thimbleful of Palin's charisma. And Palin had charisma. The Press loved her, she genuinely had crowds of people eating out of her hand, and the performers said when she appeared on SNL that she was charming and just rolled with the Jokes with good humour.

This guy isn't going to light the world on fire like Palin did, even for a few days. He's a walking tree stump with a carbon fibre rod up his ass.
Stealing that.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .

Return to “Current Politics”