Biden is toast

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Biden is toast

Post by Foggy »

Oh yeah, and fourth question.

Who is the consensus candidate - who was too fearful to run against Joe Biden in the primaries and caucuses - but who we all agree is the best candy date to replace him on some of the state ballots?
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
Sam the Centipede

Biden is toast

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:09 am What should the name of the new political party be, after all the African Americans leave the Democratic Party in revolt?
'Scuse the non-American's ignorance: why might "all the African Americans leave the Democratic Party in revolt"?

Genuine question, I haven't been paying much attention and didn't know there was any racial dimension to this (although there's almost always a racial dimension to everything political!).
sugar magnolia

Biden is toast

Post by sugar magnolia »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:43 am
Foggy wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:09 am What should the name of the new political party be, after all the African Americans leave the Democratic Party in revolt?
'Scuse the non-American's ignorance: why might "all the African Americans leave the Democratic Party in revolt"?

Genuine question, I haven't been paying much attention and didn't know there was any racial dimension to this (although there's almost always a racial dimension to everything political!).
The racial division has been there for a very long time. At least 30 years ago, people were using "Democrat" as a replacement for the N-word and other slurs when they couldn't just outright say the slur.
SuzieC
Verified:

Biden is toast

Post by SuzieC »

The racial dimension is there because all the doomscreamers calling for Biden to drop out somehow pass over VP Harris as his replacement.
p0rtia

Biden is toast

Post by p0rtia »

SuzieC wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:54 am The racial dimension is there because all the doomscreamers calling for Biden to drop out somehow pass over VP Harris as his replacement.
This is most of it, IMO. Too also, plenty of women of all varieties take offense too.

David Plouffe (who somehow used to admire above all others in the field) was on MSNBC last night, speaking in his gentle and kindly way about the push to get Biden out (no mention in the set-up that he's been calling for Biden to step down for quite some time). He talked in seeming fairness about the difficulties, and the conflicts, and about how a the convention might pick a replacement.

The commentator (forget which one) said the obvious, "So you're skipping over Kamala?" or some such.

Plouffe replied, oh so reasonably, that he was was sure Kamala would would want to add her name to the list, and to be test by a competitive process. "I'm sure she would want to earn it," he concluded.

Fuck him and his competitive process. Fuck anyone who thinks anyone but Kamala is an alternative to Biden.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: grumpy ol' geezer

Biden is toast

Post by Foggy »

Biden won the nomination in 2020 because of the black voters in South Carolina. They're still there and they still back Joe and I spoke with one this week and she said that black people are PISSED at the Democratic elite that is tanking their man.
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
June bug

Biden is toast

Post by June bug »

:yeahthat:
realist

Biden is toast

Post by realist »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:09 am I have three questions:

What are you willing to do to force Biden to quit against his will? :think:

How do you force pledged delegates at the convention to violate their pledge? :think: and

What should the name of the new political party be, after all the African Americans leave the Democratic Party in revolt? :doh:

Because this is all about a minority of Democrats deciding they're in charge, using force to get their way, and they are going to FUCK the rest of us.
:yeahthat:
Image X 4
Image X 33
realist

Biden is toast

Post by realist »

And even if it were feasible to “pass the torch” or dump Biden at this late stage in the election process, I have to ask, pass the torch to whom?

Sure as hell Kamala isn’t going
To win a national election.
Image X 4
Image X 33
Res Ipsa

Biden is toast

Post by Res Ipsa »

realist wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:29 am And even if it were feasible to “pass the torch” or dump Biden at this late stage in the election process, I have to ask, pass the torch to whom?
realist

Biden is toast

Post by realist »

Res Ipsa wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:32 am
realist wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:29 am And even if it were feasible to “pass the torch” or dump Biden at this late stage in the election process, I have to ask, pass the torch to whom?
:lol:
Image X 4
Image X 33
Sam the Centipede

Biden is toast

Thanks folks for clarifying the racial issues vis à vis Biden/not, Harris and others. I don't see US news media other than occasional short clips so I miss a lot of background. I had wondered why Harris seemed to be under-reported as a possible substitute for Biden, but she hasn't been hugely visible to us for'ners so I don't have a feel for how well she is VPing, how well her VPing is reported, how well regarded she is by party, how well she is regarded by the general voting population, etc.

So your comments are appreciated! :thumbsup:
RVInit

Biden is toast

Post by RVInit »

How do you force pledged delegates at the convention to violate their pledge? :think: and

What should the name of the new political party be, after all the African Americans leave the Democratic Party in revolt? :doh:

Because this is all about a minority of Democrats deciding they're in charge, using force to get their way, and they are going to FUCK the rest of us.
It's also about donors. I don't know how they stand, it's being reported that his biggest most supportive donor and fundraiser has now asked him to step aside. I don't know if that is true or not and tend to want more evidence than what I am currently seeing, but, if it's true that is going to really bad.
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
Suranis

Biden is toast

Post by Suranis »

From 7th of July;
450309618_7903436343025033_3445722351120475725_n.jpg
450309618_7903436343025033_3445722351120475725_n.jpg (31.07 KiB) Viewed 1186 times

The other thing, is.. well fuck it, lets go to Stonekettle Station a couple of weeks ago who put this much better than me.

https://www.stonekettle.com/2024/07/raggedy-man.html
► Show Spoiler
SO WHAT'S YOUR PLAN, Francis?

The most people say is "we will have an orderly competitive selection process."

There is no mound of Bull Tyrannosaur Shit big enough to model that.

So what's your plan? Actual plan. Bells and whistles. Details. Voting process, selection of candidates, eligible voters if any, Counting methodology, plans for distributing ballots, hell plans for Printing ballots, where you are going to have lunch, Plans for toilet facilities. Etc.

WHERE'S YOUR PLAN?
Hic sunt dracones
SuzieC
Verified:

Biden is toast

Post by SuzieC »

RVInit wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:08 pm

It's also about donors. I don't know how they stand, it's being reported that his biggest most supportive donor and fundraiser has now asked him to step aside. I don't know if that is true or not and tend to want more evidence than what I am currently seeing, but, if it's true that is going to really bad.
We're hearing a lot of things that we don't know whether they are true or not. Evidence, you want evidence? Ha!
It's all anonymous sources, all the time. I'm so old that I remember when ethical media outlets would not publish a story without two on-the-record sources confirming.
RVInit

Biden is toast

Post by RVInit »

This thread could pretty much at this point be merged with the "should he/shouldn't he" thread since that seems to be what all the posts have devolved into, but this was busterbunker's thread, so would be his call.
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
RVInit

Biden is toast

Post by RVInit »

SuzieC wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:29 pm
RVInit wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:08 pm

We're hearing a lot of things that we don't know whether they are true or not. Evidence, you want evidence? Ha!
It's all anonymous sources, all the time. I'm so old that I remember when ethical media outlets would not publish a story without two on-the-record sources confirming.
Yeah, I remember those days, too.

Until anything changes as much as I wish upon wish that Biden had NOT made the decision to run for reelection, and as much as I'm seeing polls where he is losing ground in the states he would need in order to get to 270 I am going to plod on. I'm taking the week off except for phone calling, but just don't have the energy to show up in person this week. Hopefully next week will be better, but it isn't looking particularly good.

--Jane Goodall
Sam the Centipede

Biden is toast

Just a thought: as a serial non-achiever and responsibility avoider I can't properly imagine myself into an exalted position like a presidency, not even of a tiny country. But …
… if I were Joe Biden, long career, widely praised vice-president, then successful president, but getting old, well past most folk's preferred retirement age, what would I do? A year or two ago I'd have been thinking "Mm, this has been a good gig, four more years might bring really horrible events, and I could be blamed for those bad things, fairly or not. So I think I'll call it a day so I can lock in my good reputation and people and history will be kind to me. And I can enjoy doing other lower pressure stuff too."

I think I understand Trump's desire to be the center of attention and power, and his lust for crushing those he perceives as enemies, but that's not the situation with Biden. I think he's slightly crazy to want another stint. But it's his, his family's, his party's and his country's decision, not mine.
sad-cafe

Biden is toast

Post by sad-cafe »

I voted for Biden

I will be furious if the stupids cause him to step down.
p0rtia

Biden is toast

Post by p0rtia »

sad-cafe wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:50 pm I voted for Biden

I will be furious if the stupids cause him to step down.
Yes, the idea of him being pushed to the side--disrespected and damned with faint praise--is sickening.

That said, the question seems to have become not "should he step aside" (no) but "will he step aside."
Suranis

Biden is toast

Post by Suranis »

Will he? No.
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Biden is toast

Post by Volkonski »

When Trump says/does ridiculous things the GOPers rally around him. :mad:

When Biden has an off night the Democrats rush to replace him. :roll:

Our nation may be doomed. :crying:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Biden is toast

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:12 pm When Trump says/does ridiculous things the GOPers rally around him. :mad:

When Biden has an off night the Democrats rush to replace him. :roll:

Our nation may be doomed. :crying:
That's what I think. We talk about the GOP imploding, but Democratic leadership seems determined to do same.

(And shouldn't this thread be merged with the first thread? The name of this one is...)
Suranis

Biden is toast

Post by Suranis »

This reminds me of when the press actually had people here talking seriously that you should get rid of Nancy Pelosi and Harry Ried, because they were "divisive figures" and the Republicans would not be so obstructionist, radical and crazy if they went away.

Guess what, kids, going with what the Press is telling you to do is making you lose. Because what they are telling you to do is lose.

And I was surprised by what someone said that he was watching Biden collapse in Polls, because he isn't. In fact the numbers have been very stable. The Press is probably TELLING YOU that Biden is collapsing in polls, but his actual numbers are not.

Lets take it to a guy who is actually watching the numbers. https://www.hopiumchronicles.com/p/hous ... werful-new
In my post yesterday, Voters in Europe, The UK and France Just Denied The Far Right Power. It’s Our Turn Now, I offered my latest thinking (including a video) about the 2024 election, recent polling and the debate around whether Biden should continue or pass the torch. I stand by what I wrote yesterday - this remains a close, competitive election. The polling has been remarkably stable for weeks now. Biden is at 276 Electoral College Votes in the 538 forecast this morning. Will the GOP Convention change things? We will see. And yes there was a new Emerson poll of the states that was not good for us today but it is deeply inconsistent with the dozens of polls we’ve seen in the last two weeks which have shown little movement in the race. I still believe that this election is winnable for us, that we can flip the House and keep the Senate but we are not where we want to be today and have work to do. It is critical that we do not let commentators red wave this election again, and for us to just keep our heads down and keep doing the work.
Biden is not toast. Stop believing it when they tell you he is.
Hic sunt dracones
busterbunker

Biden is toast

Post by busterbunker »

You can merge this thread or delete it. I don't care. It's your forum, your country. I said Biden was toast months ago. I call them as I see them.

When it comes to the black vote, don't patronize me. I know what I'm seeing. "They took our jobs" ain't just a South Park meme.

I''ll up the ante. At this point, it ain't a question of Biden vs. another Dem. Trump's gonna win. I'll bet you a beer and would be more than happy to buy a round if I'm wrong.

But it might not be a bad idea to start Trump-proofing your future plans. That's all I'm saying.

Return to “US President”