SCOTUS

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

SCOTUS

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:41 am
neonzx wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:36 am Didn't the hush money occur during the campaign? He wasn't president so not an official act.
The reimbursement of Cohen happened while he was President. Hope Hicks testified. There were some tweets that were introduced from his period as President, IIRC. The verdict is in danger.
Ɓut the checks were personal checks or corporate checks, not drawn on the US Treasury. So undeniably not related to government administration in anyway.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

SCOTUS

Post by raison de arizona »

keith wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:47 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:41 am
neonzx wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:36 am Didn't the hush money occur during the campaign? He wasn't president so not an official act.
The reimbursement of Cohen happened while he was President. Hope Hicks testified. There were some tweets that were introduced from his period as President, IIRC. The verdict is in danger.
Ɓut the checks were personal checks or corporate checks, not drawn on the US Treasury. So undeniably not related to government administration in anyway.
Yeah, we'll see. They are basically trying to get all the evidence retroactively thrown out, is my read of this.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... =1&title=1
Moreover, as we argued previously, Tru forbid the “{uls ofevidence about such [offical] conduet, even when an indictment alleges only unofficial conduct” [d. at *19. This includes President Trump's “Tweets” and “public ‘address[es).” /d. at *18. For that type of evidence, the Supreme Court remanded to the trial court for evaluationof“whether {his alleg
Sorry that text copy is coming out like crap, but you can read the letter, they claim the SCOTUS ruling disallows the evidence even if the indictment alleges only unofficial conduct.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

SCOTUS

Post by bob »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:53 pm Sorry that text copy is coming out like crap, but you can read the letter, they claim the SCOTUS ruling disallows the evidence even if the indictment alleges only unofficial conduct.
Which is why I believe the judge will rule, "Even assuming the defendant is correct, and I consider only the pre-inauguration evidence, the prosecution still proved all counts beyond a reasonable doubt. Defendant's motion for a new trial therefore is DENNIED."

That protects the record (and preserves the issue for appeal).
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

SCOTUS

Post by raison de arizona »

bob wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:45 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:53 pm Sorry that text copy is coming out like crap, but you can read the letter, they claim the SCOTUS ruling disallows the evidence even if the indictment alleges only unofficial conduct.
Which is why I believe the judge will rule, "Even assuming the defendant is correct, and I consider only the pre-inauguration evidence, the prosecution still proved all counts beyond a reasonable doubt. Defendant's motion for a new trial therefore is DENNIED."

That protects the record (and preserves the issue for appeal).
I appreciate your optimism and respect your opinion, but the words "for the imposition of sentence, if such is still necessary" fill me with dread.
Judge Merchan wrote:“The Court's decision will be rendered off calendar on September 6, 2024, and the matter is adjourned to September 18, 2024 at 10:00 AM for the imposition of sentence, if such is still necessary, or other proceedings,”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

SCOTUS

Post by bob »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:50 pm I appreciate your optimism and respect your opinion, but the words "for the imposition of sentence, if such is still necessary" fill me with dread.
Judge Merchan wrote:“The Court's decision will be rendered off calendar on September 6, 2024, and the matter is adjourned to September 18, 2024 at 10:00 AM for the imposition of sentence, if such is still necessary, or other proceedings,”
Fair, but its omission could would be read as the judge having already ruled against the defendant. I don't think there's a correct choice, but its inclusion (or exclusion) seems reasonable.

But I also would not be surprised if the court denies the new-trial motion, but also stays imposing a sentence.
Image ImageImage
pipistrelle

SCOTUS

Post by pipistrelle »

Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

SCOTUS

Post by Frater I*I »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:13 pm
That and five bucks will buy Biden a cup of coffee... :bored:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
pipistrelle

SCOTUS

Post by pipistrelle »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:41 pm
Yep.
MN-Skeptic

SCOTUS

Post by MN-Skeptic »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:46 pm
Frater I*I wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:41 pm
Yep.
I’m all for Biden putting his policy positions out there even if they go nowhere. He’s taking a stand and that counts.
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
Frater I*I

SCOTUS

Post by Frater I*I »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:49 pm :snippity:

I’m all for Biden putting his policy positions out there even if they go nowhere. He’s taking a stand and that counts.
I'm fine with Biden taking a stand, I just do like how WAPO is making this out as BREAKING!!!!!!!, when in reality they know it's going nowhere, best just to print in in tomorrow's edition with no announcement....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
pipistrelle

SCOTUS

Post by pipistrelle »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:28 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:49 pm :snippity:

I'm fine with Biden taking a stand, I just do like how WAPO is making this out as BREAKING!!!!!!!, when in reality they know it's going nowhere, best just to print in in tomorrow's edition with no announcement....
In a roundtable with three of their right-wingers, one of them says something about Harris could be president soon; Democrats know how frail Biden is. :roll:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

SCOTUS

Post by Slim Cognito »

Yeah, except we're OK with that.
ImageImageImage x5
New Turtle

SCOTUS

Post by New Turtle »

It's time for the Democrats to run on expanding the court to 13. Flip the Senate seat in FL and carve out a path around the filibuster. They can start to pick up independent votes the more people realize we have 2 wannabe retirees in there doing everything they want to do except step down.
bob

SCOTUS

Post by bob »

"Finalizing plans" has been downgraded to "seriously considering." :roll:

I get that politicians regularly float policies that won't materialize. It is best aspirational or, more realistically, how the sausage is made for retail politicking.

But literally nothing proposed is going to materialize until the House is retaken (and the filibuster is abolished).
Image ImageImage
Frater I*I

SCOTUS

Post by Frater I*I »

New Turtle wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:18 pm It's time for the Democrats to run on expanding the court to 13. Flip the Senate seat in FL and carve out a path around the filibuster. They can start to pick up independent votes the more people realize we have 2 wannabe retirees in there doing everything they want to do except step down.
Then the QOP goes to 15 when they regain power....

Trent Reznor
Frater I*I

SCOTUS

Post by Frater I*I »

bob wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:26 pm
But literally nothing proposed is going to materialize until the House is retaken (and the filibuster is abolished).
And if that happens the QOP, when they regain power, will eliminate the Civil Rights Act....

That's why Dems haven't axed it....

Trent Reznor
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

SCOTUS

Post by zekeb »

SCOTUS justices should be elected to eight year terms. It's nice to say, but does our Constitution even permit this? It's too bad our founding fathers didn't have a tardis and looked ahead 200 years.
Largo al factotum.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

SCOTUS

Post by Foggy »

No. Term limits for justices will require a constitutional amendment.

The judges, both of the supreme and inferior courts, shall hold their offices during good behaviour ...
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
pipistrelle

SCOTUS

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:12 am No. Term limits for justices will require a constitutional amendment.

The judges, both of the supreme and inferior courts, shall hold their offices during good behaviour ...
Accepting bribes is good for somebody, you gotta admit. And dismissing national security cases without a pretense of justification.
bob

SCOTUS

Post by bob »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:21 am
Accepting bribes is good for somebody, you gotta admit. And dismissing national security cases without a pretense of justification.
The House can always send articles of impeachmen.....

Nevermind.
Edit: Type-O. :bag:
Image ImageImage
pipistrelle

SCOTUS

Post by pipistrelle »

bob wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:55 am
pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:21 am
The House can always sent articles of impeachmen.....

Nevermind.
Yep. Farcical.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

SCOTUS

Post by Ben-Prime »

New Turtle wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:18 pm It's time for the Democrats to run on expanding the court to 13. Flip the Senate seat in FL and carve out a path around the filibuster. They can start to pick up independent votes the more people realize we have 2 wannabe retirees in there doing everything they want to do except step down.
I think the 13 count would be an easier lift than term limits.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

SCOTUS

Post by Ben-Prime »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:12 am No. Term limits for justices will require a constitutional amendment.

Since the Congress can otherwise make rules for the courts, though, can they do something like "An Associate or Chief Justice of the Supreme Court who has served for more than X years may not give public argument or vote on cases at controversy admitted before the Supreme Court, though they may still perform other functions of members of that court such as oversight of circuit courts, vote on certiorari decisions before the court to hear cases, and be present at arguments before the court."? Then they are not removing the justices from their positions, and the justices get full pay and benefits, but they are limited in certain roles and duties Congress may have the power to prescribe or proscribe?

I'm spitballing here, as everyone knows IANAL. So I'm wondering if there's a way to make the FUNCTIONAL EQUIVALENT of term limits that would work, is what I'm asking, even if my specific wording above wouldn't pass muster.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
realist

SCOTUS

Post by realist »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:27 pm
Then the QOP goes to 15 when they regain power....
:yeahthat:
Image X 4
Image X 32
bob

SCOTUS

Post by bob »

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 2:16 pm Since the Congress can otherwise make rules for the courts, though, can they do something like "An Associate or Chief Justice of the Supreme Court who has served for more than X years may not give public argument or vote on cases at controversy admitted before the Supreme Court, though they may still perform other functions of members of that court such as oversight of circuit courts, vote on certiorari decisions before the court to hear cases, and be present at arguments before the court."? Then they are not removing the justices from their positions, and the justices get full pay and benefits, but they are limited in certain roles and duties Congress may have the power to prescribe or proscribe?

I'm spitballing here, as everyone knows IANAL. So I'm wondering if there's a way to make the FUNCTIONAL EQUIVALENT of term limits that would work, is what I'm asking, even if my specific wording above wouldn't pass muster.
That idea essentially has been floated before. The proposal is, after 18 years of service, every justice is "promoted" to senior justice, and a new associate comes onto the bench. Senior justices would do very little (they still would hear original jurisdiction cases, which are rare).

It is walking a fine line on constitutionality. Congress can establish some contours for SCOTUS' appellate jurisdiction, so limiting appellate jurisdiction to only justices with less than 18 years tenure just might skirt the eligibility requirements in Article III. But probably not: I don't see this SCOTUS permitting a backdoor amendment to Article III.

And, of course, it is DOA in this Congress.
Image ImageImage

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”