Corporations Behaving Badly

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

One of my favorite LGBTQ family-owned small businesses -- the owners have been friends of mine for 20 years since before either of them married each other -- used to use that store to supply corn or some similar grain in bulk to put inside pillows and hand-warmers and similar products. They are now trying to find a new supplier. I get that businesses don't listen to every single individual customer, but surely they realize how tone-deaf it sounds to say they come by these decisions by listening to their customers as if their customers were a single monolithic block.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Also been reading on twitter how they've bought out local stores and another better chain, etc., etc. Sounds familiar.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Because no LGBTQ folks live in rural areas. Or are farmers.

There's a TS down the road from me; I had no idea they donated to HRC or I would have gone there. Now I can continue not going there.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Rolodex wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:07 pm There's a TS down the road from me; I had no idea they donated to HRC or I would have gone there. Now I can continue not going there.
It doesn't say they are stopping donations to HRC. They were providing data on a survey. HRC uses that data to give an annual rating 0-100. They publish the ratings in their corporate equality index.

https://www.hrc.org/resources/corporate-equality-index
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Welfare doesn't subsidize poor people, it subsidizes asshole corporations making their shareholders rich on the backs of the American taxpayers by paying their employess less than a livable wage.
Melanie D'Arrigo @DarrigoMelanie wrote: Walmart’s profits last year: $15.5B

Median salary at Walmart: $27,642

The average living wage in the US is over 2x that, which means most Walmart workers rely on taxpayer-funded programs to survive.

Your taxes are high because of Walmart — not the people who work there.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Patagonia is well known for being socially conscious non-dickweeds. Not sure what this is all about, but it is disturbing the force.
Fuck You I Quit @fuckyouiquit wrote: Three days. @patagonia gave 1/3rd of their entire customer service team three days to make this life altering decision.

Buy Less (from Patagonia), Demand More (from Patagonia)
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:04 pm Welfare doesn't subsidize poor people, it subsidizes asshole corporations making their shareholders rich on the backs of the American taxpayers by paying their employess less than a livable wage.
Melanie D'Arrigo @DarrigoMelanie wrote: Walmart’s profits last year: $15.5B

Median salary at Walmart: $27,642

The average living wage in the US is over 2x that, which means most Walmart workers rely on taxpayer-funded programs to survive.

Your taxes are high because of Walmart — not the people who work there.
At least you don't lose your job at Walmart if you apply for food stamps like you do if you work for the State of MS.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

What?????

How did that happen?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

p0rtia wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:00 am What?????

How did that happen?
If you're asking about working for the State, the general belief is that it's so that Tater Tot (R-fuckwit) doesn't have to face questions about why State employees make so little they qualify for assistance.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:17 am
p0rtia wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:00 am What?????

How did that happen?
If you're asking about working for the State, the general belief is that it's so that Tater Tot (R-fuckwit) doesn't have to face questions about why State employees make so little they qualify for assistance.
Yeah, I was. Thanks.

As usual, the cruelty is the point.
raison de arizona

Black farmers’ association calls for Tractor Supply CEO’s resignation after company cuts DEI efforts

The National Black Farmers Association called on Tractor Supply’s president and CEO Tuesday to step down after the rural retailer announced that it would drop most of its corporate diversity and climate advocacy efforts.

The resignation demand emerged as Tractor Supply, which sells products ranging from farming equipment to pet supplies, faces a deepening backlash over its decision, which itself came after conservative activists spoke out against the company’s work to be more socially inclusive and to curb climate change.

In a public announcement last week, the company said it would eliminate all of its diversity, equity and inclusion roles, end sponsorships of “nonbusiness activities” like Pride festivals, and withdraw its goals for reducing carbon emissions. Critics of the new position argue that Tractor Supply is giving in to hate and harming its customers by abandoning crucial principles.

“I was appalled by the decision,” John Boyd Jr., president and founder of the National Black Farmers Association, said in an interview. “I see this as rolling back the clock with race relations — because the country is so divided on race, especially in rural America.”
:snippity:
https://apnews.com/article/tractor-supp ... 3e0118c853
raison de arizona

IMG_8391.png
IMG_8391.png (495.24 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
https://act.hrc.org/page/152696/petition/1
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

not necessarily bad, but questionable when restricting lawful payments
It said all of these things you can't use your money on,' | ICCU releases new terms and conditions

KTVB
9 Jul 2024

A woman stopped and read the new terms and conditions from ICCU and decided she did have a choice after seeing things she disagreed with.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

She doesn't know what a Ponzi or pyramid scheme is. How dare she not be able to use her money on one!
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Gov. Sanders enforces Arkansas law against 4 major pharmacy benefit managers

THV11
8 Aug 2024

Gov. Sanders says it marks the most significant pharmaceutical enforcement action in Arkansas history, with possible penalties totaling $1.47M.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

The number of places I can shop is dwindling. I never shop at Walmart if I have another option (aside from the “Walmart effect,” they did something really horrible to a relative that required legal intervention to set right). One of those options was Tractor Supply. Now that’s out.

There are a few other places in the area that carry the same stuff, even though they’re more expensive. But I don’t mind paying a little extra, especially to locally-owned family businesses.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:51 pm The number of places I can shop is dwindling. I never shop at Walmart if I have another option :snippity:
I signed up for a Walmart plan a couple years ago. It was their run against Prime. Sounded good with same day free delivery of local in store products..

Stuff would show up on my doorstep in those flimsy plastics bags. They didn't enen bother to ty them shut.

Naw. Cancel culture kicked in. I'm keeping my $98/year membership.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
I had the opposite experience with Amazon this week. The first hat they shipped was the wrong size. The replacement had a broken hatband string. Super easy to take them to a local department store, they scanned a couple QR codes on my phone and that was it. My replacement for the replacement is on its way, and it will be here tomorrow.

Compare with handling of defective mail order merchandise in the previous century. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I bought two folding lawn chairs to take up to the beach with us last week, but we never needed them, so I went on Amazon and requested a return. I don't know why, but they fully refunded me, but told me not to return. I checked all I could on the Amazon site and can't figure out why I can keep them, but they definitely say not to return them. So I now have two (nice) folding lawn chairs that I don't need and would have rather returned. :roll:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
tek

Post by tek »

Not uncommon.
They look at the economics and make a call as to whether it is worth the return processing costs.
I've had that happen a few times.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Me too.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:think:
Amazon Tried to IMPRISON Her Husband—They Fought Back

Status Coup News
15 Aug 2024

Jordan Chariton interviewed Amy Nelson, an attorney whose husband, a former Amazon Web Services employee, was targeted by Amazon over incredibly dubious allegations. As a result, Amazon—seemingly colluding with the Department of Justice—nearly bankrupted her family and forced them to have to raise millions to defend themselves.

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”