What are you watching?

Kendra

What are you watching?

Post by Kendra »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:58 pm
Kendra wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:54 pm I'm binging on Dateline NBC, found the show has a 24/7 channel and Comcast carries it. All that gruesome true crime.
I think it's almost 50 percent of the Oxygen Channel, too.
Don't give me any more channels to watch. Please. :bag: :faint:
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

:biggrin:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

What are you watching?

Post by bob »

Luke wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:48 pm Oppenheimer is epic.
I enjoyed but did not love Oppenheimer.

What I liked:
1. Cillian Murphy and Florence Pugh. :clap:
2. That Berkeley home. :lovestruck:

What I ... liked ... less:
1. Ultimately a retelling of a government hearing (told by an unreliable narrator) about a government hearing (told by an unreliable narrator). (In other words, too many unnecessary Momento/Inception hooks.)
Image ImageImage
Kendra

What are you watching?

Post by Kendra »

Still watching old episodes of Dateline, which is unreportable, except for the last episode about a young teen who took what she believed was LSD, but was a chemically manufactured drug and she died. Very sad, very brave of the parents and her close friends to open up and educate others of the dangers. *sniff*

That said, the I was a bit surprised to recognize the name and face of the DEA guy who came on the show to talk about these drugs. I'm sure MSNBC watchers will recognize him.
Chuck Rosenberg is an American attorney who served as Acting Administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration from 2015 to 2017. He formerly served as the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia (EDVA) and for the Southern District of Texas; as a senior FBI official on the staff of two FBI Directors; as Counselor to the Attorney General; as the Chief of Staff to the Deputy Attorney General; and as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Eastern District of Virginia in Norfolk and Alexandria.[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Rosenberg
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Dexter on Netflix.

All 8 seasons are avail, but I may stop after season 4. That season and finale was best. ( Trinity killer )
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

Been watching a few episodes of Jackie Gleason on YouTube. Mostly "Joe the Bartender with Crazy Gugenheim" skits.

Reviewing StarTrek Enterprise on Netflix - I only ever saw the first few episodes before the SciFi channel went unobtainable in Oz. Now on Netflix I can catch up.

Also been checking out some fashion videos on YouTube - something called "Try On Haul" seems to be very popular on my feed for some reason. Who knew there were so many transparent blouses that would be "just great for the office"?
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

What are you watching?

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

“A Man Called Otto” with Tom Hanks! Superb!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
John Thomas8

What are you watching?

Post by John Thomas8 »

I think I need a good binge of Anthony:

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

What are you watching?

Post by raison de arizona »

XPOST
Just watched a great flick on Christian Nationalism, Bad Faith: Christian Nationalism's Unholy War on Democracy.

Here's the IMDB page with graphics and trailer: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt21247172/

Highly recommend if you want to learn more about Christian Nationalism and its history.

I watched it free (with ads) on Tubi.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Interview with the Vampire Season 2 (8 episodes) has finished airing and was superb. It's being called the best season of TV of the year. Example: "'Interview With The Vampire' season 2 finale: A sumptuously riveting hour of television". And "‘Interview with the Vampire’ Just Dropped the Most Audacious TV Episode of the Year: Season 2's penultimate episode, "I Could Not Prevent It," marks a uniquely fang-tastic achievement. Not only does it harness the show's greatest strengths into one unrelenting hour of television, but it also brings two years of patient preparation full circle." Here's a roundup of news some with spoilers): https://search.brave.com/news?q=Intervi ... Season%202

There were big surprises for book and Anne Rice fans. This season is about the Theatre of Vampires in Paris. This was a highlight of the season, this is the "child" vampire Claudia performing at the Theatre. They use wonderful projections integrated with the characters.

Claudia.JPG
Claudia.JPG (52.41 KiB) Viewed 317 times

1:40 / 4:08
Interview with the Vampire - Claudia sings and performs in 'My Baby Loves Windows'
Jul 5, 2024 #interviewwiththevampire #delaineyhayles
Scenes from the AMC series, 'Interview with the Vampire' (2022), starring Delainey Hayles (Claudia) and Jacob Anderson (Louis). Claudia sings 'I Don't Like Windows When They're Closed' and performs as Baby Lulu in the play, 'My Baby Loves Windows'.

Because of COVID and the writer's strike, book 1 took 2 seasons. Now that they've wrapped up, book 2 (Season 3), The Vampire Lestat is next. That's the book where Lestat becomes a rockstar. It's already renewed.

Amazon has the season for $19.99, or a free 7-day trial of AMC+. They describe it: "Daniel Molloy continues interviewing the vampire Louis de Pointe du Lac. Following an attempt to kill Lestat, Louis and Claudia seek others of their kind in Europe, finding in Post WWII Paris the Vampire Armand and his Theatre des Vampires coven."

Extended trailer:

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Luke wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:01 pm Interview with the Vampire Season 2
Tom Cruise is missing. :? :cry:
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

I watched Scientology a documentary on Netflix. Wow, those poor people who got roped into that cult.

I recived 4 more direct mail pieces from them yesterday! They don't give up.
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

I watched that over the weekend, too, although I had seen it when it came out originally.

I also watched Dreamscapes and Nightmares (I think that was the name), a badly dubbed Indonesian horror series I don't recommend. But I did watch Pieces of Her, which I liked. So, it was a Netflix weekend, which is rare for me. I'm just needing to stay away from the news for a while.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Rolodex

What are you watching?

Post by Rolodex »

Watched We Were the Lucky Ones over a couple of days (Hulu). Very well done, I thought.

Looking for movies without sudden loud explosions/car wrecks, etc - which is usually my chosen genre, but the grandbabies were with us at the lake house. My daughter in law is down for romcom but I'd rather poke my eyes out. She also likes horror/psychological thrillers, so I settled on Nightmare Alley (the 2021 remake with Bradley Cooper, Cate Blanchett, Willem Defoe, Mara Rooney). I had seen it and the 1947 original (which is excellent, and maybe better considering the disturbing material being presented in the 40s! plus Tyrone Power who is always easy on the eyes). DIL loved it and wants to watch again. Really good, esp if you want a movie that will provoke a discussion!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Mrich

What are you watching?

Post by Mrich »

I binged "Palm Royal" on Apple+ and really enjoyed it. I watched it mostly for Carol Burnett, but Kristen Wiig was really good in it.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

This is fun -- if you use a VPN, you'll see YouTube ads from the country you're "connecting" from. I've seen ads in Vietnamese, UK English (they run almost as many as in the USA), Denmark (blond heaven), and even Mongolia (they don't run too many). I've always liked watching foreign ads to pick up simple language and learn what products and sales techniques they use. Especially the big multinationals -- P&G, McDonalds and the rest have very different marketing and promotions in different countries. They're cool to see.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

I love Spanish language ads. You get perspective on proper pronunciation. For example Tide (laundry soap) is two syllables: tee-day.
Reddog

What are you watching?

Post by Reddog »

Commercials and pronunciation, brings to mind something.
Kinda off topic. To me the most mispronounced pair of words currently, could be corrected by its commercials. Unfortunately there hasn’t been a Pall Mall cigarette commercial aired in over 50 years.
It was a little funny when a clerk would (mistakenly) correct me. All my brothers smoked Pall Mall. When I started I naturally smoked them as my first brand. They are between 11 and 17 years older than me.

Luckily the vintage commercials are on you tube to verify my pronunciation.

Times change, it’s been about three and a half months since I have had a cigarette now. I didn’t really plan to quit, but I got sick, and ran out of cigarettes at about the same time. What I got better, apparently the worst of the withdrawal was over. I don’t recommend that method, but it worked for me.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

So izzit "pell mell", "pal mal", or "pawl mawl"?
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
bill_g

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Paul Maul - rhymes with awl, all, hall, doll, wall, crawl
Rolodex

What are you watching?

Post by Rolodex »

Luke wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:25 am This is fun -- if you use a VPN, you'll see YouTube ads from the country you're "connecting" from. I've seen ads in Vietnamese, UK English (they run almost as many as in the USA), Denmark (blond heaven), and even Mongolia (they don't run too many). I've always liked watching foreign ads to pick up simple language and learn what products and sales techniques they use. Especially the big multinationals -- P&G, McDonalds and the rest have very different marketing and promotions in different countries. They're cool to see.
I'm amused to see American stars in foreign commercials!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Reddog

What are you watching?

Post by Reddog »

bill_g wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:23 pm Paul Maul - rhymes with awl, all, hall, doll, wall, crawl

edit: sorry I didn’t notice that you were rhyming with Paul Maul. If I remember correctly those were commonly the candy cigarettes. I don’t disagree with those rhyming words for Paul Maul. I was referring to the actual cigarettes Pall Mall

Not how I pronounce it. I realize now that I’m in a minority, when someone my age (and a smoker) is mispronouncing it. To my ears the commercials sound more like it rhymes with tell, smell, etc

It’s easy to find utube videos of commercials from the 50’s and 60’s.

Let me know if anyone finds a commercial by the manufacturer with the pronunciation as rhyming with
awl, all, hall, doll, wall, crawl
neonzx

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Reddog wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:34 pm Let me know if anyone finds a commercial by the manufacturer with the pronunciation as rhyming with
awl, all, hall, doll, wall, crawl
Sounds like they are saying "pal mail"
bill_g

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Here we go with flat bed or flat red Ford again (Eagles, 1970's).
qbawl

What are you watching?

Post by qbawl »

"Flat head"

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”