Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Artificial Intelligence (AI) in General

Post by bill_g »

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

"It threw itself down a flight of stairs" my ass. They didn't get the sensors or software right, when stairs are a known hazard. The very idea that "the robot committed suicide" is just silly. This is what I mean when I said a lot of really stupid things are going to be called AI until we actually do get artificial intelligence.

They're not even pretending this robot was an AI, but it takes intention and emotional distress to commit suicide, so they are ascribing AI characteristics to a dumb robot the sneaky way, by saying it deliberately threw itself down the stairs. No, it didn't decide to end its runtime (that's how machine intelligence ends).
Edit: I have to block the top of the stairs in my house when Rochester, my robot vacuum cleaner that Luke talked me into buying, is policing the area. I have a short piece of 2" x 4" that I place across the top of the stairs, and then I never really have to worry about whether Rochester is experiencing some suicidal ideation or sumpin'. I'm really not educated or trained in dealing with suicide, I'd be terrible at figuring out what Rochester's emotional triggers are and how to deal with them. Maybe we can send some 2 by 4s to South Korea, and they can stop worrying about robot seppuku.
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

The only way a Robot commits suicide is if it is told to by the instructions given by the various programs in its head.

Anyway xposting

https://vxtwitter.com/1/status/1810284303923720428
Ron Filipkowski (@RonFilipkowski)
A former FL police officer now living in Moscow is creating fake stories using AI while posing as local US newspapers. His fake story that Zelensky’s wife bought a $4 million Bugatti was spread by millions of pro-Russia US social media accounts. https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c72ver6172do
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Sounds like Ukraine should post pictures of Putin at the beach with his male lover.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Is a $4,000,000 car a hundred times better than a $40,000 car? :think:
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

That was in Euros, and the exchange rate is currently $1US=.92EU.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:16 pm Is a $4,000,000 car a hundred times better than a $40,000 car? :think:
Well it looks way cooler.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://vxtwitter.com/1/status/1810913528083271746
JerryRigEverything (@ZacksJerryRig)

The United States Justice Department just squashed nearly 1000 of those Russian AI chat bots here on @X today. Glad someone's on top of it. Elons just been retweeting them. https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice- ... r-partners
https://vxtwitter.com/1/status/1810819103390593470
Jack’s House 🇺🇦 (@FluteMagician)
1) NAFO Fellas, there’s some things mentioned in this article that we were seeing on here for quite a long time now. I was especially interested in how these bot accounts posed as “cryptocurrency” accounts, which we all saw. And Russia Today is involved. Let’s keep going.⬇️
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

aged by a few months
Linwei Ding was a Google software engineer. He was also a prolific thief of trade secrets, say prosecutors.
U.S. officials say some of America’s most prominent tech firms have had their virtual pockets picked by Chinese corporate spies and intelligence agencies.

April 6, 2024, 1:00 PM GMT+2
By Ken Dilanian and Anna Schecter.

Though he lived in Silicon Valley, Linwei Ding spent months at a time in his native China, according to court papers.

Nothing unusual about that — except that he was supposed to be working full time as a software engineer in Google’s San Francisco-area offices.

Court records say he had others badge him into Google buildings, making it appear as if he were coming to work. In fact, prosecutors say, he was marketing himself to Chinese companies as an expert in artificial intelligence — while stealing 500 files containing some of Google’s most important AI secrets.

Ding, whose home was searched by the FBI days before prosecutors say he was to board a one-way flight to China, was arrested in March and is now facing federal felony charges. He has pleaded not guilty. His case illustrates what American officials say is an ongoing nightmare for U.S. economic and national security: Some of America’s most prominent tech firms have had their virtual pockets picked by Chinese corporate spies and intelligence agencies.

Days after the Ding case was announced, prosecutors charged the owners of a Chinese company with conspiring to steal battery secrets from Tesla. This week, a government cybersecurity board ripped Microsoft for an “inadequate security culture” and a “cascade … of avoidable errors” that allowed Chinese intelligence hackers to compromise the company’s email software and gain access to the accounts of the U.S. commerce secretary.

In February, the Justice Department charged a Chinese engineer with stealing missile-tracking technology from a company owned by aerospace giant Boeing. Last year, prosecutors accused a Chinese national of stealing Apple’s self-driving car technology and fleeing to China.

“China’s multipronged assault on our national and economic security make it the defining threat of our generation,” FBI Director Christopher Wray told Congress recently. “Today, and literally every day, they’re actively attacking our economic security — engaging in wholesale theft of our innovation and our personal and corporate data.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/innovation ... rcna146623

Return to “Computers and Internet”