X -Where Twitter goes to die.

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

A lot of trouble and change just so that dingbats stop getting strung up for LIKE-ing offensive content.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

and Elmo has blocked and 'zero'd' out apples posts.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
bob

Post by bob »

So Musk's stated reason for hiding who likes what is, essentially, anonymous speech. (Translation: So people can upvote edgelord trash without repercussions.)

But this article suggests a more base motivation: So data scrapers can't learn how much of the site's engagements are just 'bots.
Image ImageImage
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

bob wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:55 pm So Musk's stated reason for hiding who likes what is, essentially, anonymous speech. (Translation: So people can upvote edgelord trash without repercussions.)

But this article suggests a more base motivation: So data scrapers can't learn how much of the site's engagements are just 'bots.
Wasn't he all about transparency on the bot issue when he was looking to buy the site to begin with? It's like he's never sincere about anything. How could we have not seen this before? :)
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

A few (bad, NSFW) words on the state of Twitter.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:55 pm A few (bad, NSFW) words on the state of Twitter.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Interesting you posted that. The last post I read before this one had a tweet that I clicked through to see and then made the mistake of actually reading a few of the comments on that tweet. Not too many down the scroll was the meme with a photo of Pres Biden that says "Sorry Jack, I have to do what Obama tells me to, or he'll make me suck Michelle's dick again." So yeah, they can hit the 'like' all they want and not be called on it and still be a raging inflamed asshole. Also, the meme was posted by a guy who claims to be a single dad raising a daughter "in the middle of America." Unfortunately, I clicked on his profile out of morbid curiosity to see how low he could go, and wasn't disappointed. His very first post at the top of his feed is asking people to help him get his stats back up because they suffered while he spent some time-out in jail. I pity his daughter and fervently hope she doesn't become another Loomer, but I have my doubts if she'll be able to escape it.

Of course, it's my fault because I broke the cardinal rule of internetiquette and actually read the comments. My bad.
raison de arizona

Imagine that. The trolls are crawling out of the woodwork.
Elon Musk @elonmusk wrote: Massive increase in likes after they were made private!
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:31 pm Imagine that. The trolls are crawling out of the woodwork.
Elon Musk @elonmusk wrote: Massive increase in likes after they were made private!
Because when Musky like most right-libertarians talk about the free marketplace of ideas, he doesn't mean the 'free and INFORMED marketplace', he means the black-box free marketplace. The one where you don't get to see how it's all made and your choices are to eat the shit or walk away.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I check the DJT stock price most days.

After its debut in late March it rose quickly from the mid 30s to a high of about 66, then slid just as quickly, bottoming out at about 22 in mid April. Then it bounced back into the 50s for most of May.

So about two weeks ago it started to slide. Just a few points a day, but by early June it was in the 40, and has been descending to the 30s this past week.

Today it closed at 31, then dropped a quick 8 pts in after hours trading. Back up to 27.

I enjoy this. Small blessings.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johntobey/ ... rong-time/

In about two weeks, Trump Media has fallen over 35%. That drop has lit up negative issues. Furthermore, the third quarter's three critical challenges are coming.

The March peak of $80 is history. After the large decline and partial rebound, all three $50 breakout attempts failed, leading to the current price decline. Each technical breakdown opened up a move to lower prices. Add up the technical negatives and the picture darkens...

Three critical issues are coming, and only a strong, widespread, positive action plan by Trump Media can prevent further weakness.

The first issue is near: The registration of all outstanding shares not yet registered. The amount is three times the currently registered shares: 133 million vs. 44 million, equaling a total of 177 million.

The SEC review is at work, and Trump Media just filed amendment #3 to the original, April 15 S-1 submission. Importantly, when the SEC gives final approval, it will not mean all the shares could be sold. Most of the newly registered shares are restricted by lock-up provisions, meaning they will not be salable until September 25 (six months following the March 25 merger date). All shareholders being free to sell is the third issue in the quarter.

And that takes us back to the number two issue: The August earnings release covering Trump Media's second quarter through June 30. For the first quarter, the company simply issued a press release and the SEC 10-Q report. That approach for the second quarter would be dangerously inadequate with September's 133 million newly registered shares suddenly becoming salable by a variety of shareholders, many of whom received the shares in lieu of cash. Likely they will want to sell, particularly if management doesn’t explain the benefits of staying invested.
djt june 18.jpg
djt june 18.jpg (203.97 KiB) Viewed 136 times
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

X Re-Joins Pro-Censorship Advertisers’ Alliance

Didi Rankovic
July 2, 2024

Given how X has gone out of its way to reveal the depth and breadth of online censorship via the Twitter Files, this makes for an awkward reunion: the company has decided to rejoin the Global Alliance for Responsible Media (GARM).

It’s a pro-censorship, World Economic Forum-affiliated advertisers’ group, that achieves its objectives through the “brand safety” route (i.e., the censorship “brand” here would be demonetization). And last summer, it was scrutinized by the US Congress.

GARM is one of those outfits whose roots are very entangled (comes in handy when somebody tries to probe your activities, though) – and the chronology is not insignificant either: formed in 2019 as a World Federation of Advertisers (WFA) initiative, partnered with the Association of National Advertisers (ANA).

Then came another “partnership” – that with WEF (World Economic Forum), specifically, its Shaping the Future of Media, Entertainment, and Sport project – a “flagship” one.

In May 2023, the US House Judiciary Committee wanted to know what exactly was happening here, and whether “brand safety” as a concept, as exercised by these entities, could be linked to censorship of online speech.

So the Committee subpoenaed the World Federation of Advertisers (and GARM), asking for records that might show whether these groups “coordinated efforts to demonetize and censor disfavored speech online.”

Committee Chairman Jim Jordan was at the time concerned that this conduct might have run afoul of US antitrust laws.

For X, despite the strides the platform has made toward protecting users’ speech since the Twitter takeover, the GARM relationship is most likely simply about (ad) money – and one of the several efforts to make the platform profitable at last.

Those who were hoping for a “free speech absolutism” on a platform like this might be disappointed, the Congress might investigate some more; but ultimately, the move represents a “realpolitik-style” compromise.

https://reclaimthenet.org/x-re-joins-pr ... s-alliance

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”