The Media are the Goddam Problem

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

https://x.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/18 ... 4142321792
Mueller, She Wrote @MuellerSheWrote wrote: Why aren’t pundits demanding a sit down prime time interview with Trump?

1. What did you mean by “black jobs”?
2. What is a tariff and how will your tariff plan impact GDP?
3. What is GDP?
4. Your Ukraine peace plan includes giving large swaths of Ukraine to Russia and installing Yanukovich as president. Is that still your plan?
5. What is protected by the first amendment?
6. Do you agree with the SCOTUS decision throwing out your bump stock ban?
7. Do transgender people deserve equal rights?
8. What should the punishment be for getting an abortion?
9. Will you allow veterans to keep their benefits?
10. How would you handle the Gaza protests on college campuses?
11. What is your plan for peace in the Middle East?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Serious if ignorant question: Why would this be something the president should handle?
raison de arizona

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:38 pm
Serious if ignorant question: Why would this be something the president should handle?
During the protests in May he said
tfg wrote:Remove the encampments immediately. Vanquish the radicals, and take back our campuses for all of the normal students who want a safe place for which to learn. The radical extremists and far-left agitators are terrorizing college campuses, as you possibly noticed, and Biden’s nowhere to be found.
It's reasonable to ask him just what he has planned, although whether he should be involved in the first place is a good question.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

NYT is straight up trash hellbent on destroying our democracy, and losing subs left and right. Rightfully so.
https://x.com/DrEricDing/status/1809080450075197493
Eric Feigl-Ding @DrEricDing wrote: As a long time NYTimes subscriber—I finally unsubscribed today after their disgusting oped advocating people to NOT VOTE. The crazy catch? The right wing NYT oped author actually does vote. NYT is now openly aiding and abetting the destruction of democracy.
capitolhunters @capitolhunters wrote: To everyone appalled by NYT's July 4 op-ed "Why I don't vote. And maybe you shouldn't either", note that 1) author Matthew Walther DID vote in both 2020 and 2022, and 2) he's an extremist Catholic graduate of Hillsdale College, part of the religious-right faction behind Jan 6. 1/
raison de arizona

https://x.com/aravosis/status/1809249859905695889
John Aravosis 🇺🇸🇬🇷🏳️‍🌈 @aravosis wrote: CNN this morning, incredibly, claimed Biden might have Parkinson’s disease, and demanded he take a cognitive test. Nowhere did CNN demand that Trump take one as well, though Trump has had repeated slurred speech and continues to think Obama is president.
raison de arizona

Peter Backes (Elmo is Sissy SpaceX™) 🇺🇸🇺🇦 @PeterBackes3 wrote: Reminder to the stupid cunts at the @TheEconomist: Were it not for a sickly man in a wheelchair, you’d all be speaking German.

My subscription ends today.
raison de arizona

Not surprising, Brian Stelter is a well known and documented tool of the dullest degree. Biden can do no right, tfg can do no wrong.
Charles Gaba ✡️ @charles_gaba wrote: NEWS MEDIA: "BIDEN NEEDS TO GIVE INTERVIEWS WITH THE PRESS TO PROVE HE'S MENTALLY FIT!"

Biden gives ABC News an interview.

NEWS MEDIA: "BIDEN IS ONLY GIVING AN INTERVIEW WITH THE PRESS TO PROVE HE'S MENTALLY FIT!"
Brian Stelter @brianstelter wrote: Astoundingly, Biden's team is almost portraying today's Biden-Stephanopoulos interview as a cognitive test. Like it's a televised doctor's appointment.
raison de arizona

First, yesterday, an editorial (on Independence Day no less) arguing why you shouldn't vote, from an arch conservative targeting Dems. Now, today?
Fuck the NYT. Douchebags.

Finally, a NYT headline I can get behind. May be fake ;) (unlike the one above, which is real)
► Show Spoiler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

So someone somewhere made the decision to deep-six MSNBC in favor of, I guess, whatever is on NBC. Since Friday night.

No Weekend Show, no Ali Velshi, no JenPsaki. Just wall to wall reshowing of fuckhead getting shot and ducking and walking off in triumph. Instead, we get Stumbling Andrea MItchell, Katie Tur, and .... oh god ... Mike Johnson calling for union. Meanwhile, on CNN, Anderson Cooper is pointing out to Mikey that the rhetoric he's condemning is exactly what he and his minions have been saying, X 10.

No Morning Joe this morning. Normally I'd say that's not a bad idea, but not today. The Morning Joe twitter feed says they'll be back to "regularly scheduled programming" Tuesday.

In the meantime, what's on is a montage of heroic shots of fuckhead with fist in the air and flag, set to glorifying music. I mean, Putin would be proud. Too also, anodyne "coverage" of MAGAs telling their stories for the 20th time, each time with better hair.

Wondering if they will preempt Nicole too.

So yeah, suppressing the actual brains in favor of robots. On MSNBC. I guess we're just seeing the surfacing of what has been underlying problem for years. Going with the flow into full autocracy.

Great.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Hell, even HuffPo was all in on getting rid of Biden last week.

I am despair. Where can I get honest news (and don't say Raw Story)?
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, here MSNBC is perfectly normal, but getting ready for the convention. Morning Joe is on, but he's on vacation (all reported by ol' Wifehorn, I don't watch Tee Vee). Wrong, see next post below.

Could it be your cable provider interfering?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Now ol' Wifehorn reports that Morning Joe was canceled because "one of the round table guests was suspected of planning to say something really inappropriate". So they canceled at the last minute.

I don't know who the guest was or what they might have said.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

You think the coverage on the national news has been non-stop? Try living in Pittsburgh. I can't get a break.

I was also pissed at the weekend coverage on MSNBC. I usually try to take a little break from the news over the weekend, but I do like Velshi, and try not to miss his program. Two hours each day is most of the time more than enough.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Switched over to CNN for five long minutes.

Heard:

After Reagan was shot, it united the country (said like that would be a good thing in today's world).

This convention is going to be the most watched ever, with the most enthusiasm ever.

Trump is vindicated in Mar-a-Lago case.

Not heard:

Dead fireman.

Autocracy.

Okay, Kristen Welker finally mentioned that Judge Ailene is on thin ice, and that this is no vindication by but a technicality that will be appealed in a NY minute, and then went on to list the evidence pointing to fuckhead's crimes. Good for her.

Now back to Wow What A Convention, and VP Announcemen too!

First they came for the teachers, but I didn't care.

Then they came for the judges, but I didn't care.

Then they came for the new media, and I have no idea what happened after that.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

If you want to hear news that isn't American and does a decent stab at international News I would check out France News 24. You can watch it online. At least you will be informed of other stuff while American media covers Operation Enduring Ear.

https://www.france24.com/en/

If you want US News - fucked if I know. I've concidered MSNBC compromised ever once they went all in on the "OBAMA FALLS APART TIME FOR HIM TO DROP OUT IN FAVOR OF..." when He did a Mediocre performance against Mitt Romney in the first debate in 2012. Even Rachael Maddow toed the corporate line for that one.

And Ya, fuckface wont be able to help himself. Being humble is telling the voice in his head that it is right that he is a Loser. To "be Presidential" will be to completely rewrite the mix of Rage, Shame, and Fear that drives him.
Hic sunt dracones
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

MSNBC is back.

Still mostly gibberish, but they did have Andrew Weissman and another att. who railed about how bad the Cannon ruling is. That was fun.

But now they've got a guy on talking about how the Convention is fuckhead's chance for a reset (ah, memories of the pivot).

Sure. Fine. Whatever.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

:fivestar:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I took the hit
Mueller, She Wrote
@MuellerSheWrote
Here's what I think is happening:

1. The media, with low ratings, saw blood in the water after the debate and ran with sensational and inaccurate headlines to generate profit. They have admitted this.

2. That, in turn, influenced big money dem donors who then threatened to pull their big money because the MEDIA was tanking some polls.

3. That, in turn, worried party leaders who need that big money to win because shitheads like Musk can donate $45M per month to trump thanks to Citizens United, and those dem leaders expressed their concern about losing that money.

4. That, in turn, caused the media - again with garbage ratings bleeding cash - to report that party leaders want Biden to step aside (not because they don't think he can do the job, but because other rich people were extorting them)

5. And that greed has led to the snowball effect we are seeing. It's all about money. Not democracy. The media and big donors are selling out democracy and the will of the voters over money.

Corporate media has failed us.
Hic sunt dracones
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Charlie Sykes, one of the many ex-GOP talking heads who identifies as an anti-trumper (and has put in the work to prove it) just referred to the Biden stepping down issue as "taking the keys away from grandpa."

This raised my anger to white hot in an instant. This is a prime example of the kind of disrespectful shit that is alienating the Biden voters. Biden too, I'd imagine. This "just toss him aside" crap is disgusting.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 10:35 am Charlie Sykes, one of the many ex-GOP talking heads who identifies as an anti-trumper (and has put in the work to prove it) just referred to the Biden stepping down issue as "taking the keys away from grandpa."

This raised my anger to white hot in an instant. This is a prime example of the kind of disrespectful shit that is alienating the Biden voters. Biden too, I'd imagine. This "just toss him aside" crap is disgusting.
:yeahthat: There is no excuse for this kind of public, or private, show of disrespect.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Let's have the children all fight over the car keys, that will solve the problem. I think that's the plan?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:39 am Hell, even HuffPo was all in on getting rid of Biden last week.

I am despair. Where can I get honest news (and don't say Raw Story)?
Yeah, I came close to cancelling huffpo last week. Too lazy, but they are on thin ice.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

For news now, I am using the Google News aggregator, which shows headlines from a lot of different sources, so I can get a feeling for a story before wasting time on it. Also, I follow Tech, Science, a few other topics.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”