SCOTUS

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

SCOTUS

Post by raison de arizona »

I say yes. And a few of his cronies as well. Let's leverage this ruling, bad as it is.

Fight fire with fire already.
https://x.com/TristanSnell/status/1807983714623689001
Tristan Snell @TristanSnell wrote: What if Biden used his official powers to have the IRS, FBI, and DOJ investigate the Supreme Court justices to find out every penny they’ve ever taken from anyone, ever?

Enforcing corruption laws is under his authority. And you can’t question his motive at all.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

SCOTUS

Post by jez »

I wonder if this is when I begin looking for a new country to immigrate to. I know I can get a work visa for New Zealand. It seems they need Technical Writers.

But the expense. And my dog.... ugh...
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

SCOTUS

Post by RTH10260 »

:think: :think: :think: I wonder, I wonder,
Teh Donald says that Biden is instrumentalizing the DOJ to take action against the most beloved son of the Americas, and sends prosecutors and judges to persecute him, and that he will take revenge once in office (as we all hope he will not be).

BUT... But... but... just now SCOTUS has declared he will be immune from actions in office :o

How will Teh Donald reconcile that with his intentions :?: Will he himself persecute the then former POTUS using the same excuse of immunity :?:

:confuzzled:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

SCOTUS

Post by RTH10260 »

Looks to me that historians in the near future may be recording the US version of the Nürnberg Trials - I only followed orders :blackeye:
neeneko

SCOTUS

Post by neeneko »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:29 am :think: :think: :think: I wonder, I wonder,
Teh Donald says that Biden is instrumentalizing the DOJ to take action against the most beloved son of the Americas, and sends prosecutors and judges to persecute him, and that he will take revenge once in office (as we all hope he will not be).

BUT... But... but... just now SCOTUS has declared he will be immune from actions in office :o

How will Teh Donald reconcile that with his intentions :?: Will he himself persecute the then former POTUS using the same excuse of immunity :?:

I do not think they see a contradiction. They believe use of the justice department for political advantage is correct, they were only upset that a usurper was doing it. And of course, if it is a POTUS actually doing the weaponizing, then SCOTUS can't stop them. Only someone playing by the rules and not using their power to the fullest will be constrained, which democrats do, which is why they are seen as 'weak' and 'feminine'.

I also suspect that SCOTUS believes Trump is going to win, then cement conservative power in place in place 'permanently'. It is kinda fascinating to see people trying to wrap up a 'long game' when they think final victory is now within sight and if they do not grab it now they might lose it.. or at least lose it within their lifetimes. A lot of the mover and shakers in the Trump orbit are ex-regan era people really hoping to finally win their fights before retirement and death (just look at Bolton)
p0rtia

SCOTUS

Post by p0rtia »

A snippet from a pod I was listening to.

"Presidential immunity is part of the law, so the President is not above the law."

George Orwell Clarence Thomas
tek

SCOTUS

Post by tek »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:06 pm I wonder how James Comey is feeling today?
:mad:
I'm sure he believes with all his heart that none of this is in any way his fault.
Just like Ralph Nader.
p0rtia

SCOTUS

Post by p0rtia »

Clearly an unconstitutional ruling by a corrupt SCOTUS 6. Why on Earth should lower courts follow this?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

SCOTUS

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:20 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:13 pm So does this mean that his immunity powers are stronger than our laws? If he orders his DOJ to do something that is patently illegal, and they follow his orders, will they be held to the laws even though he has immunity? If they disregard his illegal order, can he then mete out some sort of punishment to them?

Orders his DOJ to shoot someone on 5th Ave.
They do it.
They get caught.
Then?????...
He can just pardon them, no?
Or...
They refuse to do it...
trump gets pissed off and orders them beheaded (or fired, or whatever)....
Then???...
One of the examples in SCOTUS case was ordering Seal Team Six to assassinate someone, I think this one is A-OK.

https://x.com/MarkHertling/status/1807909716175057003
Mark Hertling @MarkHertling wrote: As a former military guy, I’m trying to figure out how a commander can refuse an illegal order from someone who is issuing it as an official act.
I am sure that one of our IAALs will correct me, but just because something is non-prosecutable due to immunity doesn't make it legal, it just makes it non-prosecutable.

Diplomatic Immunity, for example, doesn't mean that if a diplomat gets away with (for example) running someone over while drunk, that the drunk driving wasn't a crime; it just means it wasn't a crime that could be prosecuted.

Or am *I* missing something here?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Dr. Ken

SCOTUS

Post by Dr. Ken »

and they're starting to make their arguments that everything was an official act.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
raison de arizona

SCOTUS

https://x.com/MarsTweep/status/1808115089083429220
Laurence Tribe 🇺🇦 ⚖️ @tribelaw wrote: Alexander Hamilton wrote in Federalist 69 that former presidents would be “liable to prosecution and punishment in the ordinary course of law.” But what did he know? He was just a bastard, orphan, son of a whore and a Scotsman, dropped in the middle of a forgotten spot in the Caribbean. . .
Susan Holden Martin, MBA, J.D. ✨🇺🇸🇮🇱🇨🇦🇺🇦 @MarsTweep wrote: It’s better with full context:

“The President of the United States would be liable to be impeached, tried, and, upon conviction of treason, bribery, or other high crimes or misdemeanors, removed from office; and would afterwards be liable to prosecution and punishment in the ordinary course of law.”

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/fed69.asp
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

SCOTUS

We live in a post-Constitutional world.
PatriotTakes 🇺🇸 @patriottakes wrote: It seems like the SCOTUS immunity ruling violates the plain text of the Constitution.

Article 1, Section 3 ⤵️
bob

SCOTUS

Post by bob »

Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:50 am
I am sure that one of our IAALs will correct me, but just because something is non-prosecutable due to immunity doesn't make it legal, it just makes it non-prosecutable.

Diplomatic Immunity, for example, doesn't mean that if a diplomat gets away with (for example) running someone over while drunk, that the drunk driving wasn't a crime; it just means it wasn't a crime that could be prosecuted.

Deterrence.

If Biden were to, say, unilaterally forgive student debt, the courts could overrule that decision. But Biden (even before) wouldn't be prosecuted for it.

Now, if Biden threatened to (or actually) drone strike Sally Mae until it decided to forgive student debt, Biden could argue his drone strikes (theats or actual) were official acts. So what's to stop Biden from doing that?

This, of course, applies only Democratic presidents. Because if Biden did this, this Congress would impeach, convict, and remove him. (But he still wouldn't be successfully criminally prosecuted, at least under SCOTUS' ruling.)

There are accounts of the days leading up to January 6 that suggest the former president actually was tempered by the advice that his actions could be subject to criminal prosecution. January 6 might have unfolded differently if he had effectively barked "OFFICIAL ACT!!!" before unleashing Stephen Miller's wet dreams.
Image ImageImage
Rolodex

SCOTUS

Post by Rolodex »

The DIVINE Miss M!

Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
AndyinPA
Verified:

SCOTUS

Post by AndyinPA »

:clap:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

SCOTUS

Post by Ben-Prime »

bob wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:59 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:50 am

Deterrence.

If Biden were to, say, unilaterally forgive student debt, the courts could overrule that decision. But Biden (even before) wouldn't be prosecuted for it.

Now, if Biden threatened to (or actually) drone strike Sally Mae until it decided to forgive student debt, Biden could argue his drone strikes (theats or actual) were official acts. So what's to stop Biden from doing that?

This, of course, applies only Democratic presidents. Because if Biden did this, this Congress would impeach, convict, and remove him. (But he still wouldn't be successfully criminally prosecuted, at least under SCOTUS' ruling.)

There are accounts of the days leading up to January 6 that suggest the former president actually was tempered by the advice that his actions could be subject to criminal prosecution. January 6 might have unfolded differently if he had effectively barked "OFFICIAL ACT!!!" before unleashing Stephen Miller's wet dreams.
Understood, though fwiw, I was speaking more of the idea that a military officer could still be prosecuted for doing something that is illegal, but for which the order the President could not be prosceuted because while giving the order is not illegal under current SCOTUS theory, actually carrying it out would be. Or am I overthinking this?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
bob

SCOTUS

Post by bob »

Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:56 pm Understood, though fwiw, I was speaking more of the idea that a military officer could still be prosecuted for doing something that is illegal, but for which the order the President could not be prosceuted because while giving the order is not illegal under current SCOTUS theory, actually carrying it out would be. Or am I overthinking this?
I'll defer to our military experts, but my WAG is military personnel could still be prosecuted for fulfilling an illegal order even if the president couldn't be criminally prosecuted for giving it.

And, in many jurisdictions, duress is not a defense to murder. So if the president not-so-hypothetically says, "Murder, or I'll have you murdered," the duress of the murder threat you received wouldn't be a recognized defense at your murder criminal trial.
Image ImageImage
Dave from down under

SCOTUS

Post by Dave from down under »

Pre-emptive presidential pardons

“Who will rid me of this troublesome priest”
raison de arizona

SCOTUS

bob wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:09 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:56 pm Understood, though fwiw, I was speaking more of the idea that a military officer could still be prosecuted for doing something that is illegal, but for which the order the President could not be prosceuted because while giving the order is not illegal under current SCOTUS theory, actually carrying it out would be. Or am I overthinking this?
I'll defer to our military experts, but my WAG is military personnel could still be prosecuted for fulfilling an illegal order even if the president couldn't be criminally prosecuted for giving it.

And, in many jurisdictions, duress is not a defense to murder. So if the president not-so-hypothetically says, "Murder, or I'll have you murdered," the duress of the murder threat you received wouldn't be a recognized defense at your murder criminal trial.
yeahbut that won't happen, tfg'll fire anyone that disobeys his orders, then pardon anyone who does and is brought up on charges.
p0rtia

SCOTUS

Post by p0rtia »

So none of the talking legal heads I've listened to have given a moment to suggest that the lower courts should rebel against a clearly unconstitutional ruling by a clearly corrupt SCOTUS 6.

We here about the dilemma a soldier would have if given an unconstitutional order. I don't see a difference, myself.

Looks like the entire judicial branch is supposed to roll over and say yes sir, again sir.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”