Bill_G, retired, affluence of effluent, and errata

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:54 pm
bill_g wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:30 pm
qbawl wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:14 pm Just a thought if you have a nearby Community Theater group the may be interested in the Hoover (or other things) for use as a prop or set dressing.
:out-of-the-box-thinking:

!

Hmm ....
Yeah. My husband had two tuxes. I didn't give them to Goodwill as I think a theater group might be interested.
Our office used to be across the street from the Oregon Ballet Theater craft shop where they built sets et al. They would borrow our forklift, or come for our help with some electrics. I have contacts, but they may no longer be there.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

bill_g wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:15 pm
bill_g wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:30 pm

:out-of-the-box-thinking:

!

Hmm ....
Yeah. My husband had two tuxes. I didn't give them to Goodwill as I think a theater group might be interested.
Our office used to be across the street from the Oregon Ballet Theater craft shop where they built sets et al. They would borrow our forklift, or come for our help with some electrics. I have contacts, but they may no longer be there.
Don't take offense if you get a polite no. Theater groups have to always deal with the lack of storage spaces.

On a related note, if you were to try and donate a vacuum to my parish, you would be cast into the pit where there id great weeping and gnashing if teeth.

NO MORE VACUUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
101010 :towel:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

northland10 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:05 pm Don't take offense if you get a polite no. Theater groups have to always deal with the lack of storage spaces.

On a related note, if you were to try and donate a vacuum to my parish, you would be cast into the pit where there id great weeping and gnashing if teeth.

Let me restate that - the saber saw is my best option.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

northland10 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:05 pm
bill_g wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:15 pm

Don't take offense if you get a polite no. Theater groups have to always deal with the lack of storage spaces.

Pretty sure all non-profits are in the same position.
Would any of you like a very heavy, bulky, hand made, huge floor loom with no assembly instructions for weaving? We've had them donated (and turned down donations) and we can't even give them away.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:07 pm Pretty sure all non-profits are in the same position.
Would any of you like a very heavy, bulky, hand made, huge floor loom with no assembly instructions for weaving? We've had them donated (and turned down donations) and we can't even give them away.
Yep. The camp I worked at had a bunch of mowers but only one or two even worked. We also had to large boxes of phones, but they were for a Centrex system or something similar. They were hardly interchangeable with the simple setup at the camp. I guess we were not allowed to say no when somebody came with crap.
101010 :towel:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:37 pm
northland10 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:05 pm Don't take offense if you get a polite no. Theater groups have to always deal with the lack of storage spaces.

If you left it out here, it’d be gone in five minutes.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

keith wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:24 pm Yeah, im close to killing the landline too. I just need to train my sisters to call the mobile instead.
I’m late to this thread, but I recently went through almost exactly the same situation.
We cancelled cable years ago because of unrelenting price increases. Since then we’ve had aDSL with a landline number we have had for probably 40 years.
Fiber came through, so we converted. Numbers almost identical to Bill’s except 200/200 on lowest tier. We still have antenna in the attic so we could get by without streaming.
One thing we did different was the landline (originally POTS, then through aDSL), we had the number ported to a cheap carrier (tello) for $6.00 a month. The reason, (I rationalize), is that there were still several contacts that only had that number. Some of the contacts were distant family and friends. Others were various businesses/utilities e.g. blood donation that would call the house and not bother our cell phone. Too, also some registrations require a phone number, we give our old house phone number. I like it like that. We get very few spam calls on my cellphone, and we can ignore house phone for the most part.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:24 pm
bill_g wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:37 pm

If you left it out here, it’d be gone in five minutes.
We have a perfectly good dryer (except the timer buzzer doesn't work) that has been sitting on out curb since Friday. My husband even put a sign on it that says "works" and nobody has even slowed down. I'm going to be reduced to putting it on NextDoor so the trash doesn't pick it up in the morning.
bbflatt

Post by bbflatt »

Usually around here, nothing gets picked up unless it has value as scrap metal. A dryer would likely last less than an hour.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

It's hard to complain when people are trying to do the right thing. You own something that you no longer need but it's in perfectly good shape - electronics, furniture, appliances, etc. - so you want it give it to someone who needs it. But tastes change, systems evolve, etc. No one wants your perfectly good hand-me-downs. My youngest sister took Mom's lovely china and silverware. Younger generations no longer want those things. I have a beautiful Scandinavian cabinet for stereo & other equipment. I'll try to give it away, but at 36" wide, it's too narrow for current televisions. :shrug:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:07 pm
That's what I fear when considering The Doll House. It's bigger than 2ft x 2ft x 2ft with a pitched roof, a porch, and a bit of a widow's walk on the third floor built on a laquered plywood board. She wanted it. We bought it. I built it. She painted it. She decorated it. She spent weeks playing with it. She lost interest before putting doll people in it, but not before making curtains, tiny little seat pads, table cloths, and rugs. She put a lot of effort into it, and then *CLICK* - no more. Done. Not interesting anymore.

It slowly made its way from the dinner table, to a display table, to a cherished location in the guest bedroom, and ultimately banished to the third bedroom "slash" storeroom. As my sister and I dug through the layers early last May, that corner was revealed offering the first glimpse in perhaps a decade.

It's a work of art. It's a piece of crap. Nobody will want this. I should just get a burn barrel now. I'm going to need it.

I'm still in search of a third sewing machine, and a serger. They're in there someplace. There is interest in those items, but not in old vaccums, or her half finished craft projects.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:00 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:07 pm
That's what I fear when considering The Doll House. It's bigger than 2ft x 2ft x 2ft with a pitched roof, a porch, and a bit of a widow's walk on the third floor built on a laquered plywood board. She wanted it. We bought it. I built it. She painted it. She decorated it. She spent weeks playing with it. She lost interest before putting doll people in it, but not before making curtains, tiny little seat pads, table cloths, and rugs. She put a lot of effort into it, and then *CLICK* - no more. Done. Not interesting anymore.

It slowly made its way from the dinner table, to a display table, to a cherished location in the guest bedroom, and ultimately banished to the third bedroom "slash" storeroom. As my sister and I dug through the layers early last May, that corner was revealed offering the first glimpse in perhaps a decade.

It's a work of art. It's a piece of crap. Nobody will want this. I should just get a burn barrel now. I'm going to need it.

I'm still in search of a third sewing machine, and a serger. They're in there someplace. There is interest in those items, but not in old vaccums, or her half finished craft projects.
I relate to this. My dad built a doll house when my oldest daughter was born. Then he added electricity. Then wood floors and wallpaper and light switches and baseboards and chandeliers, wainscoting and, and, and.......
He wanted a cedar shake roof on it because it was Victorian but he didn't want that cheesy, easy to find embossed "fake shake" wood roof. Nope. He hand cut and set each one. As he did the individual bricks, inside and out, on 3 floors of the fireplaces and chimneys. Each one painstakingly painted just a shade or tone different than the one next to it, and then mortar of course. And real porcelain tub, sinks and toilet. After spending days (weeks?) researching the colors and patterns and all that, he started painting it, got 90% through with it and just....stopped. He even got the damn thing a special table to sit on. It has a drawer full of the bits and pieces of electrical, window and door glass, all sorts of minutia that he was obsessed with. He painted model train people right down to the color of their eyes.

When my daughter was about 8, she commented that she would be a dinosaur before he finished it. She'll be 40 in January and she was right. He never did finish it. It now sits on the special house table in my youngest daughter's living room.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

One of the commentariots from Oregon3000 took his wife's ashes to Hawaii this week to return her home. I offered him a Mrs_G teeshirt a few weeks ago at our recent O3K picnic without knowing of his planned trip. He wore it at their family ceremony up on Kilauea. I'm both humbled and delighted.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

How wonderful! :heart:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:bighug:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4

Return to “Introduce Yourself”