Hunter Biden - But His Emails! Gun Charge Indictment, Taxes, Hacking, Election Interference, Russian Ops - Jack Maxey

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Chilidog

Hunter Biden - But His Emails! Gun Charge Indictment, Taxes, Hacking, Election Interference, Russian Ops - Jack Maxey

Post by Chilidog »

I wonder how many guns Lumpy Lindell owns....
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

Abby Lowell has poorly represented Hunter Biden. There was no way this case should have gone to trial. OTOH, the jury of course got it right.
Neither disbarred nor disciplined after representing President Barack Obama. :oldman:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Republicans push conspiracy theories after Hunter Biden verdict: ‘A fake trial’
Rightwing politicians repeat unfounded theories that gun trial verdict is a ‘distraction’ from worse Biden crimes

Robert Tait
Tue 11 Jun 2024 21.14 CEST

Republicans responded to Hunter Biden’s conviction on Tuesday of lying about his drug use to buy a gun by doubling down on conspiracy theories that many senior party figures have been using to try and damage his president father.

Despite the fact that Joe Biden’s son could now face a hefty jail sentence, Donald Trump’s election campaign and its surrogates repeated unfounded attack lines that the conviction was part of a conspiracy to deflect attention from more serious crimes and represented the use of the Department of Justice (DoJ) as a political weapon.

Republicans have long sought to use Hunter Biden’s woes and business dealings as a political weapon against Biden, ignoring the fact that Trump himself is also now a convicted felon whose own business empire has been fined hundreds of millions of dollars for fraudulent practises.

That tactic continued in the wake of Hunter’s guilty verdict.

“This trial has been nothing more than a distraction from the real crimes of the Biden Crime Family, which has raked in tens of millions of dollars from China, Russia and Ukraine,” the Trump campaign said in a statement.

Matt Gaetz, the far-right congressman from Florida, was distinctly dismissive, posting on X: “The Hunter Biden gun conviction is kinda dumb tbh.”

That was echoed by Charlie Kirk, a conservative activist and founder of Turning Point USA, who derided the conviction as a distraction from worse crimes he claimed have been committed by the president’s family.

“Hunter Biden guilty. Yawn,” Kirk wrote. “The true crimes of the Biden Crime Family remain untouched. This is a fake trial trying to make the Justice system appear ‘balanced.’ Don’t fall for it.”

Nancy Mace, a Republican congresswoman for South Carolina, implied that the verdict was a sham. “Timing is everything. The veil of fairness in the justice system under Potus,” she wrote.

Stephen Miller, one of Donald Trump’s closest advisers during his first presidency, went further still, posting: “[The] DoJ is running election interference for Joe Biden – that’s why DOJ did NOT charge Hunter with being an unregistered foreign agent (FARA) or any crime connected with foreign corruption. Why? Because all the evidence would lead back to JOE.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... t-reaction
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Chilidog wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:49 am I wonder how many guns Lumpy Lindell owns....
It's fine as long as he didn't check the box.

(or did I get that backwards?)
realist

Post by realist »

Only 31 more felonies and he can run for President.
Image X 4
Image X 32
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

:like:
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

The GOP weaponizing the government to go after Hunter Biden, and getting a pointless conviction on the only thing they could ever prove, is somehow proof that the government is weaponized against THEM. Good God, will the victim complex never end?
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

“Hunter Biden guilty. Yawn,” (Charlie) Kirk wrote. “The true crimes of the Biden Crime Family remain untouched.
Well, Charlie, whose fault is that? The GOP has been looking for them for years!
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

sterngard friegen wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:23 am Abby Lowell has poorly represented Hunter Biden. There was no way this case should have gone to trial. OTOH, the jury of course got it right.
If, as I've heard, it's true that the revised plea deal was misdemeanor and no jail for gun or tax charges, but no promise not to pursue the foreign agent case, this is my ianal thought.

The foreign agent case is still possible, and now he's a felon. That's gonna bite if he's convicted in the tax case.
June bug

Post by June bug »

p0rtia wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:37 am
sterngard friegen wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:23 am Abby Lowell has poorly represented Hunter Biden. There was no way this case should have gone to trial. OTOH, the jury of course got it right.
If, as I've heard, it's true that the revised plea deal was misdemeanor and no jail for gun or tax charges, but no promise not to pursue the foreign agent case, this is my ianal thought.

The foreign agent case is still possible, and now he's a felon. That's gonna bite if he's convicted in the tax case.
Hell yeah!!
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

p0rtia wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:37 am

:yeahthat:
I am really stunned that hsi lawyer allowed him to get this felony conviction, knowing he is facing even more serious charges that are also pretty much guaranteed to get a guilty verdict. His sentence will likely be next to nothing for the gun charges, but he is going to pay dearly when it comes to the tax case because he won't be a first time felon.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
bob

Post by bob »

I'm somewhat at a loss at what his lawyer was supposed to do.

In the federal courts, a plea bargain requires a prosecutor willing to make a deal and a judge willing to accept the deal.
Image ImageImage
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

bob wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:23 pm I'm somewhat at a loss at what his lawyer was supposed to do.

In the federal courts, a plea bargain requires a prosecutor willing to make a deal and a judge willing to accept the deal.
I believe the prosecutors offered a second deal (after the judge pointed out the area of disagreement in the first--the opposing opinions about whether the doj would continue to pursue other potential crimes). Or maybe it was the same deal. Either way, Biden refused it, so it never went back to the judge. The sense is that Biden should have taken it.
bob

Post by bob »

p0rtia wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 2:35 pmI believe the prosecutors offered a second deal (after the judge pointed out the area of disagreement in the first--the opposing opinions about whether the doj would continue to pursue other potential crimes). Or maybe it was the same deal. Either way, Biden refused it, so it never went back to the judge. The sense is that Biden should have taken it.
The judge scuttled with the first deal, and I don't believe there was a second. (Or, if there was, no details about it have emerged.)

Biden could have pleaded guilty to all three of these felonies without a deal in place. Which likely would have put him in a somewhat better position than he is now.

But I again fail to see how his lawyer failed him. Criminal defendants unwilling to accept that the horrible deal in front of them is the best they are going to get is all too common.
Image ImageImage
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

The original deal had a diversion that was structured to be supervised by the court because Hunter's side didn't want it supervised by the DOJ, since it could be a very different DOJ in 2025. The judge didn't want to do that either, because of what might happen if the court became a target of the crazies. It seems like a hot potato all parties just want to go away.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Manu Raju @mkraju wrote: GOP Rep. Massie says "millions of marijuana users" could be prosecuted for same reasons as Hunter Biden.

"I don't think anybody should be prosecuted for that infraction," he says

Gaetz on Hunter Biden conviction: "That would be like getting Jeffrey Dahmer for littering"
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Kyle Cheney @kyledcheney wrote: JUST IN: Hunter Biden's law license has been suspended in D.C.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Well, President Biden should just shut down fox news. It's a propaganda outlet that spreads lies, so it would be within his official capacity of a president - protecting national security.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Rolodex wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:45 am Well, President Biden should just shut down fox news. It's a propaganda outlet that spreads lies, so it would be within his official capacity of a president - protecting national security.
:yeahthat: Sounds good to me.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin

Return to “Current Politics”