NCAA v. Alston (Exploitation of College Athletes)

chancery
Verified:

NCAA v. Alston (Exploitation of College Athletes)

Post by chancery »

The Supreme Court unanimously invalidated a minor portion of the NCAA’s “amateurism” rules, in a decision that strongly calls into question the legality of the entire system of using college athletes as unpaid cash cows.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/2 ... 2_gfbh.pdf

The big surprise is Justice Kavenaugh’s concurrence, which goes beyond the court's decision to paint a big fat bullseye on the NCAA for future litigation.
[A]lthough the Court does not weigh in on the ultimate legality of the NCAA’s remaining compensation rules, the Court’s decision establishes how any such rules should be analyzed going forward. After today’s decision, the NCAA’s remaining compensation rules should receive ordinary “rule of reason” scrutiny under the antitrust laws.
:snippity:
[T]here are serious questions whether the NCAA’s remaining compensation rules can pass muster under ordinary rule of reason scrutiny. Under the rule of reason, the NCAA must supply a legally valid procompetitive justification for its remaining compensation rules. As I see it, however, the NCAA may lack such a justification.
The NCAA nonetheless asserts that its compensation rules are procompetitive because those rules help define the product of college sports. Specifically, the NCAA says that colleges may decline to pay student athletes because the defining feature of college sports, according to the NCAA, is that the student athletes are not paid. In my view, that argument is circular and unpersuasive. The NCAA couches its arguments for not paying student athletes in innocuous labels. But the labels cannot disguise the reality: The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America. All of the restaurants in a region cannot come together to cut cooks’ wages on the theory that “customers prefer” to eat food from low-paid cooks. Law firms cannot conspire to cabin lawyers’ salaries in the name of providing legal services out of a “love of the law.” Hospitals cannot agree to cap nurses’ income in order to create a “purer” form of helping the sick. News organizations cannot join forces to curtail pay to reporters to preserve a “tradition” of public-minded journalism. Movie studios cannot collude to slash benefits to camera crews to kindle a “spirit of amateurism” in Hollywood.
The bottom line is that the NCAA and its member colleges are suppressing the pay of student athletes who collectively generate billions of dollars in revenues for colleges every year. Those enormous sums of money flow to seemingly everyone except the student athletes. College presidents, athletic directors, coaches, conference commissioners, and NCAA executives take in six- and seven-figure salaries. Colleges build lavish new facilities. But the student athletes who generate the revenues, many of whom are African American and from lower-income backgrounds, end up with little or nothing. See Brief for African American Antitrust Lawyers as Amici Curiae 13–17.
To be sure, the NCAA and its member colleges maintain important traditions that have become part of the fabric of America—game days in Tuscaloosa and South Bend; the packed gyms in Storrs and Durham; the women’s and men’s lacrosse championships on Memorial Day weekend; track and field meets in Eugene; the spring softball and baseball World Series in Oklahoma City and Omaha; the list goes on. But those traditions alone cannot justify the NCAA’s decision to build a massive money-raising enterprise on the backs of student athletes who are not fairly compensated. Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different. The NCAA is not above the law.
tek

Re: NCAA v. Alston (Exploitation of College Athletes)

Post by tek »

Justice Kegstand makes a good point, IMHO...

not sure where it will lead tho..
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

The district court in Alston upheld most of the NCAA's challenged practices. It was a pretty darn good result for the NCAA, under the circumstances, and disappointing to critics of the NCAA. Nonetheless the NCAA took the case to the Supreme Court, arguing that all of its practices should have been upheld on the grounds that it is entitled to a super-special immunity from the antitrust laws.

The Court's unanimous decision disagreed.
To the extent [the NCAA] means to propose a sort of judicially ordained immunity from the terms of the Sher- man Act for its restraints of trade—that we should overlook its restrictions because they happen to fall at the intersection of higher education, sports, and money—we cannot agree. This Court has regularly refused materially identical requests from litigants seeking special dispensation from the Sherman Act on the ground that their restraints of trade serve uniquely important social objectives beyond enhancing competition.

Today's decision suggests that the issues resolved in the NCAA's favor in the Alston litigation could be reexamined and resolved differently in future litigation. Justice Kavenaugh’s concurrence is a road map for how that might play out. The decision will also encourage members of Congress who have been working on legislation to curb the NCAA's power.

Sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone. :mrgreen:
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Paul Campos, a sharp law professor who blogs at Lawyers Guns & Money, has been following this issue for a long time. His take:
You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. Although technically this is a narrow ruling, this case probably signals the practical end of the increasingly preposterous sham of “amateur” major conference college football and men’s basketball (these two sports account for about 98% of all college sports revenues). Somehow I doubt Congress is going to carve out an antitrust exemption that will allow top NCAA executives, conference commissioners, and athletic directors to get paid salaries of millions of dollars per year, by making it explicitly legal to continue to expropriate billions of dollars of unpaid labor each year from a few thousand college football and basketball players, most of who, totally coincidentally no doubt, happen to be black.
https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/20 ... o-the-ncaa
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

tek wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:47 pm Justice Kegstand makes a good point, IMHO...

not sure where it will lead tho..
Agreed.

Also,

the unanimous thing. I mean, sure, it makes sense to a lot of us, but we're talking Kavanaugh and Alito here.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

At least Sen. Tubberville will have the NCAA's back. He has stated that athletes are already getting paid with scholarships and such and that is about their education. I have a hunch that his Auburn students were not really getting much of an education but instead setups where they could keep their GPA up in order to play.
101010 :towel:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

There's a reason why Emmitt Smith called the NCAA a racket and told the reporters they could quote him on that...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Liz

Post by Liz »

northland10 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:11 pm At least Sen. Tubberville will have the NCAA's back. He has stated that athletes are already getting paid with scholarships and such and that is about their education. I have a hunch that his Auburn students were not really getting much of an education but instead setups where they could keep their GPA up in order to play.
Your hunch is correct for some.
4 years (sometimes 5) Full Ride
Room and board, books, tuition, fees. .... $40k/yr sound right? ... and that's for all 12 of the players... star or not.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”