Hijack This Thread

sugar magnolia

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

Also from wiki.
Juneteenth (officially Juneteenth National Independence Day and historically known as Jubilee Day,[2] Black Independence Day,[3] and Emancipation Day[4][5]) i
Formerly enslaved people in Galveston celebrated after the announcement.[34] On June 19, 1866, one year after the announcement, freedmen in Texas organized the first of what became the annual celebration of "Jubilee Day".[28] Early celebrations were used as political rallies to give voting instructions to newly freed slaves.[35] Early independence celebrations often occurred on January 1 or 4.[36]
Whereas, June 19, 1938, this year falls on Sunday; NOW, THEREFORE, I, JAMES V. ALLRED, Governor of the State of Texas, do set aside and proclaim the day of June 20, 1938, as the date for observance of EMANCIPATION DAY

in Texas, and do urge all members of the Negro race in Texas to observe the day in a manner appropriate to its importance to them
Seventy thousand people attended a "Juneteenth Jamboree" in 1951.[41] From 1940 through 1970, in the second wave of the Great Migration, more than five million black people left Texas, Louisiana and other parts of the South for the North and the West Coast. As historian Isabel Wilkerson writes, "The people from Texas took Juneteenth Day to Los Angeles, Oakland, Seattle, and other places they went."[42] In 1945, Juneteenth was introduced in San Francisco by an immigrant from Texas, Wesley Johnson.[43]
In 1996, the first legislation to recognize "Juneteenth Independence Day" was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives, H.J. Res. 195, sponsored by Barbara-Rose Collins (D-MI). In 1997,
Growing up, the celebration was referred to as "Juneteenth Jubilee" and celebrated with barbecues and picnics. Lots of Black churches had events (the AME churches had the best ones) and many Black families planned their family reunions around the date. Based on the t-shirt quilts I make with family tree shirts, they still do. The "Jubilee" name stuck around here even after it commonly became known as just "Juneteeth" in other places. Margaret Walker Alexander, author of the novel "Jubilee", was a much-loved local and her poetry and excerpts from her book were often read at the celebrations, so I suspect we held onto the Jubilee part of the name out of habit for longer than other places might have. We studied it as Juneteeth Jubilee in school, and it wasn't until the early 2000s that it was shortened to just Juneteenth. I'm not sure I ever remember hearing it referred to as Black Independence Day or Emancipation day except as a description of what it commemorates.

They didn't ask me, but I would have voted for Juneteenth Jubilee for the name.
Last edited by Foggy on Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix BBCodes
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Cortisone, the wonder drug

I haven't talked about it, but my right knee (the one that wasn't replaced) has been bothering me for a while. Like, since some time in March. Very painful, swollen, couldn't pull my heel to my butt (otherwise known as quad stretching).

In May I finally realized that rest and knee braces and backing off the normal Musical Asskicking workouts were things that simply were not working to make it better, so I scheduled an appointment with my knee doctor, and finally got in to see him yesterday.

First thing I said was, "Y'know, I was hoping never to see you again." He just laughed, not thinking on his feet fast enough to say, "Yeah, me too."

Anyway, it's arthritis, which they told me, 41 years ago, would eventually be a problem after I shattered my other knee way back then. The original injury put extra stress and strain on my so-called "good" knee. During the course of the examination, I showed him how I can do a full quad stretch with the knee he replaced, and he panicked. "Don't show that to any of my other patients, most of them can't even get near doing that." :shock: "Good job, though," he added.

So he gave me a shot of cortisone, and I feel so much better today, I signed up for the Olympics in Japan this summer. This is going to be one a them enormously captivating hyoomin interest stories that will get a 5-minute clip on NBC or whatever Tee Vee show.

"Back in March, NOBODY thought this man was capable of competing in the 400 meter sprint, Bob." :nope:

'Course, y'all know I get a shot of cortisone in my shoulder every three months, on account of how I have a "severely torn rotator cuff that is unrepairable". So naturally, my knee doctor says, come back in three months.

That's OK, the Olympics will be over by then ...

Edit: Oh yeah, and I finally got a chance to ask him if the knee he replaced 5 years ago was made of steel or titanium, something I've always wondered about. He said "It's a cobalt/chromium alloy," which Alexa says probably includes lesser amounts of tungsten and molybdenum and a few other elements. It's the stuff of rocket science, so I have to be careful how high I kick in Musical Asskicking, or I might could launch myself into orbit. It probably glows in the dark, too also, but I can't see that because my skin covers the contraption.
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Thanks Lani! Good to know!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Lani wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:41 am
... history of Junteenth...
Junteenth is a great name. And I know all about Junteenth.

Junteenth Independence Day is not a great name.

Junteenth Freedom Day, or Junteenth Emancipation Day are much better choices.

But nobody asked me.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

The Fogbow leadership will be well protected...

let's hope so :pray:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

*sigh* Amazon order. :bored:
Running late

Now expected June 21 - June 22

We’re very sorry your delivery is late. Most late packages arrive in a day. If you have not received your package by June 22, you can come back here the next day for a refund or replacement.
raison de arizona

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby needs a knee replacement sometime. His exercise routine is training for competitive swimming (seriously) and walking the dogs and the cat (seriously).
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Wait until he finds out about white riots in Tulsa, the Chinese Exclusion Act, Jim Crow, crack vs cocaine mandatory sentencing laws, the Indian Removal Act, Philly PD bombing the Panthers, and so much more.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Foggy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:21 am Oh yeah, and I finally got a chance to ask him if the knee he replaced 5 years ago was made of steel or titanium, something I've always wondered about. He said "It's a cobalt/chromium alloy," which Alexa says probably includes lesser amounts of tungsten and molybdenum and a few other elements. It's the stuff of rocket science, so I have to be careful how high I kick in Musical Asskicking, or I might could launch myself into orbit. It probably glows in the dark, too also, but I can't see that because my skin covers the contraption.

I, too, have a full knee replacement (my right). I, too, wondered what it is made of, but I never remembered to ask the doctor.

I saw an interesting video on YouTube by a couple doctors talking about knee replacements. They said that titanium is not used because, while it is very strong and lightweight, it does not have good wear properties, meaning it would not last as long. The knee is probably one of the most wear-prone joints in the body, since it supports your entire weight and moves with every step you take. That's probably why knee replacements are so common.

My knee was replaced because I had a condition called hemarthrosis, in which blood pools in and around the knee joint. It is very painful. It would lock up and hurt like hell. I wouldn't be able to walk for 3 or 4 days. Interestingly, when I googled hemarthrosis, it said that knee replacement is both a cause and a treatment for the condition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemarthrosis
Lani

Post by Lani »

Oh my, another "coffee is healthy" study. This one's from CNN.
Coffee drinkers were 21% less likely to develop chronic liver disease, 20% less likely to develop chronic or fatty liver disease, and 49% less likely to die from chronic liver disease than non-coffee drinkers, according to the study published Monday in the journal BMC Public Health.

"Coffee is widely accessible, and the benefits we see from our study may mean it could offer a potential preventative treatment for chronic liver disease," said study author Dr. Oliver Kennedy, who is on the medical faculty of the University of Southampton in the UK, in a statement.

:snippity:

This is not the first study to find health benefits from coffee. A study published in February found drinking one or more cups of black, caffeinated coffee a day was associated with a long-term reduced risk of heart failure.

Coffee's also been shown to lower the risk of type 2 diabetes, Parkinson's disease, prostate cancer, Alzheimer's, multiple sclerosis, melanoma and other skin cancers, and reduce levels of coronary artery calcium. And a prior study by Kennedy found that drinking coffee reduced the risk of hepatocellular cancer, the most common form of liver cancer.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/21/health/c ... index.html
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.bloomberg.com
Top Trump Lawyers Find Washington’s Revolving Door Turns Slowly

Ken Cuccinelli, who did the No. 2 job at the Homeland Security Department under President Donald Trump, was looking at a corporate opportunity after he left the administration when the work was suddenly pulled.

“They just decided they didn’t want Trump people,” said Cuccinelli, who declined to name the company. “It was just flat out—you can call it Trump discrimination.”

Attorney General William Barr, Jeffrey Rosen—who ran the Justice Department in an acting capacity after Barr left—U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer, and White House counsel Pat Cipollone are among those who have yet to resurface with full-time jobs.

Barr will decide on his next career steps after he finishes writing a book, Bloomberg Law reported, citing a person familiar with the matter. It’s not clear whether Rosen, Lighthizer or Cipollone are actively seeking full-time jobs. American Compass, which founder Oren Cass calls a “flagship for conservative economics,” announced Thursday that it added Lighthizer to its board.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

“It was just flat out—you can call it Trump discrimination.”
:violin:

They made their beds.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

Of course when a prospective employer looks at your resume they look at both what you've accomplished and who you've worked for.
Largo al factotum.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

covfefe wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:43 pm

They made their beds.
I guess employers don't want the TrumpTaint. Everything Trump Touches Dies. :violin:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

Tweet from @OhNoSheTwitnt:
Maybe if we start calling our body parts gun-sounding names like “revulva” or “shooterus” the GOP will stop trying to regulate them.
:think:
Don't mind me, I just fell out of a coconut tree. 🥥🌴
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

neonzx wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:30 pm
covfefe wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:43 pm

They made their beds.
I guess employers don't want the TrumpTaint. Everything Trump Touches Dies. :violin:
My mom use to have a million saying about everything, for this she would have said, "You lay down with dogs you're getting up with fleas". I'm sure there's lots of flea bitten republicans out there that will never be rid of Trump's fleas.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

MsDaisy wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:44 am My mom use to have a million saying about everything, for this she would have said, "You lay down with dogs you're getting up with fleas". I'm sure there's lots of flea bitten republicans out there that will never be rid of Trump's fleas.
The scary thing is that there are millions of people out there who seem to think that those fleas constitute some sort of badge of honor, not an infestation of vermin.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

OT.

So a neighbor invited me over. He had rum.
IMG_20210626_184816507-229.jpg
IMG_20210626_184816507-229.jpg (79.49 KiB) Viewed 2095 times

:shock:. Q
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

neonzx wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:23 pm OT.

So a neighbor invited me over. He had rum.

IMG_20210626_184816507-229.jpg

:shock:. Q
RUUUUNNNNNN!!! :nooo:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

This is just about the most Mississippi thing ever.
https://www.facebook.com/rankincountyne ... 0892949348
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
tek

Post by tek »

Hm, must be time for a step increase in the price of gas.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

I need a wi-fi extender. Goal is to get a decent signal to my barn, in the tack room. Tack room is approximately 75 feet from my house, but my internet is via DSL and I have a cordless phone in the tack room which gets a good signal from the house.

Recommendations?

Return to “General Stuff”