Long-awaited PNW Meetup!!

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Another meetup of sorts. The OLive Commentariots, now the Oregon3000, are having a picnic at Champoeg Park Saturday June 8 noonish to dusk. No other details at the moment.

ETA: Parking is free that day, but I'd bring a $5 bill just in case we have been misinformed. BYOD food and drink. It's a public park. So, there's restrictions on alcohol and weed consumption. Keep it on the DL.

I'm still waiting on an answer about which group day use site has been reserved.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

bill_g wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:22 pm Another meetup of sorts. The OLive Commentariots, now the Oregon3000, are having a picnic at Champoeg Park Saturday June 8 noonish to dusk. No other details at the moment.
Wish I could go but I already have another ukulele event scheduled here in Vegas. I was hoping to go to the one planned four years ago but then came the covid lockdown. Tasing Tomas said I didn't need to bring anything except my ukulele. If you go, tell everyone I said Hi and I still love and miss the commentariat!
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

poplove wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:44 pm
bill_g wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:22 pm Another meetup of sorts. The OLive Commentariots, now the Oregon3000, are having a picnic at Champoeg Park Saturday June 8 noonish to dusk. No other details at the moment.
Wish I could go but I already have another ukulele event scheduled here in Vegas. I was hoping to go to the one planned four years ago but then came the covid lockdown. Tasing Tomas said I didn't need to bring anything except my ukulele. If you go, tell everyone I said Hi and I still love and miss the commentariat!
Copy that. Will do. And sorry you can't be here.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

Champoeg. The G is silent. It must be a French thing.
Largo al factotum.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

zekeb wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:07 pm Champoeg. The G is silent. It must be a French thing.
Yep. The French settled that valley first, and the state park is at the settlement along the Willamette River. It's pronounced like the stuff you wash your hair with an long E sound at the end - shamPOOy. Barely 15 minutes from my house.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

bill_g wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 6:48 pm
zekeb wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:07 pm Champoeg. The G is silent. It must be a French thing.
Yep. The French settled that valley first, and the state park is at the settlement along the Willamette River. It's pronounced like the stuff you wash your hair with an long E sound at the end - shamPOOy. Barely 15 minutes from my house.
I've been there many many times.
Largo al factotum.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I won't be able to make it, but I do miss the folks from the OLive comments. Tell them Starla says HI! What fun we had watching the Bundy cray-cray.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Kendra wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:43 pm I won't be able to make it, but I do miss the folks from the OLive comments. Tell them Starla says HI! What fun we had watching the Bundy cray-cray.
So many clever and witty commenters! I was constantly laughing.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

I'm glad I checked here. I might be able to stop by but not sure yet. Would be good to see the OLive crowd (who I've never met in real life). I must live close to Bill cuz Champoeg is also 15-20 minutes from me.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

poplove wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:35 pm
Kendra wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:43 pm I won't be able to make it, but I do miss the folks from the OLive comments. Tell them Starla says HI! What fun we had watching the Bundy cray-cray.
So many clever and witty commenters! I was constantly laughing.
Fer sure. It was lively. When The Oregonian turned their comments off, the right wingers went over to Willamette Week while the Lefties made a new home on Disqus where we didn't have to worry about moderation. It's not the greatest user interface, but it's gotten the job done for a handful of years.

Oregon3000 on Disqus
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hi, to the Commentariat from silverfilly changed to newfilly when my second granddaughter was born. I learned about the Fogbow from the Commentariat.

Those were heady days - writing haikus, turning OLive into SheepleCon, reading play by plays of the Bundy trial.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

scirreeve wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:19 pm I'm glad I checked here. I might be able to stop by but not sure yet. Would be good to see the OLive crowd (who I've never met in real life). I must live close to Bill cuz Champoeg is also 15-20 minutes from me.
That would be super. Stop in to say howdy. Love to see you there.

Bring your own drinks and food. I'm bringing enough to share. Stumpspeech paid the group site day use fees. He'll be there from 9am to dusk to keep squatters away.

Parking may be $5. There's speculation the date was chosen because it's the annual "free day". I'd still pack some paper money. There is ADA parking if you need it.

I don't plan on arriving before noon. I'll stick around to help clean up. I'll be wearing my avatar tee shirt. You're welcome to bring a plus one, two, three.... Dogs allowed. I don't know if they can be off leash.

I'm reasonably certain there will be limits on open adult beverage and weed consumption. It's a state park. It's a given I think.

It would be great if FB folks showed up to this.

bsg tee shirt avi.jpg
bsg tee shirt avi.jpg (3.64 KiB) Viewed 471 times
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:38 am Hi, to the Commentariat from silverfilly changed to newfilly when my second granddaughter was born. I learned about the Fogbow from the Commentariat.

Those were heady days - writing haikus, turning OLive into SheepleCon, reading play by plays of the Bundy trial.
Heady days indeed. Quite often it was full contact commenting. BYO kevlar. Snark abounded. But, within all that noise was a lot of good amateur journalism - real time play by plays of things going on in Oregon, and especially Portland. The Bundy Occupy Malheur brought in a ton of new faces all along the poli-spectrum, and I followed some of them to Fogbow here.

I'll make sure people know you're attending in spirit trl / newfilly!
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

You are on the list of people attending in spirit too kendra!

I think I'll print a page of avatars. May even bring the laptop and hotspot to post live. We never did post any pictures from the W4 visit, but we didn't take any either (that I recall).
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I should note my offer to bring a toilet seat and a blue tarp to make a Lavoy Memorial was poo-poo'ed.

I have both. I may bring them anyway. They'll just stay in the truck.
BeastofBourbon

Post by BeastofBourbon »

I was only a lurker at the OLive comments during the Bundy trials, but they did bring me here to the Fogbow. If there's to be another PNW party, I'd love to join you. Mr. Dodgers, too.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

BeastofBourbon wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:15 am I was only a lurker at the OLive comments during the Bundy trials, but they did bring me here to the Fogbow. If there's to be another PNW party, I'd love to join you. Mr. Dodgers, too.
All are welcome! It would be super to see you both again.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

BeastofBourbon wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:15 am I was only a lurker at the OLive comments during the Bundy trials, but they did bring me here to the Fogbow. If there's to be another PNW party, I'd love to join you. Mr. Dodgers, too.
PS - I think your house is in my avatar. It's a segment of a coverage plot I made for Trimet. You can see the I5/205 loop around downtown, and Hwy26 heading up Vista Ridge. The Skyline Ridge is almost visible.

27avi_Trimet Pearl coverage.jpg
27avi_Trimet Pearl coverage.jpg (11.85 KiB) Viewed 438 times
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:38 am Hi, to the Commentariat from silverfilly changed to newfilly when my second granddaughter was born. I learned about the Fogbow from the Commentariat.

You’re New Filly!!
Tiredretiredlawyer

Yep!!!! I came up with “The Commentariat” and with “Sheeple Day”.😀
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

STARLA!!!!
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:27 am Yep!!!! I came up with “The Commentariat” and with “Sheeple Day”.😀
Take a bow. The Commentariat is still in use.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

The strawberries are ready. Just pulled the bisquits from the oven. Gotta cool before I box them. Got donuts, fried chicken, and tater salad from Safeway yesterday. I'm good to go for the O3K picnic today at Champoeg. I don't know what y'all are bringin, but I got some to share.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:27 am Yep!!!! I came up with “The Commentariat” and with “Sheeple Day”.😀
:lovestruck: :lovestruck: :bighug:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Baaaaa!
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”