💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Post by raison de arizona »

https://x.com/TaraBull808/status/1784645015136047264
TaraBull @TaraBull808 wrote: BREAKING: According to a new FEC Reports, House Speaker Mike Johnson allegedly received $524,000 from AIPIC.

And a $95,000 payment from a foreign lobby group shortly after the passing of the $14.5 billion military aid package.

Should members of our government be banned from accepting foreign money to push an agenda in the U.S.?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Dems will table mtg’s vacate motion, should she follow through.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

Although a bit wordy, this signals, for now, Greene's stunts won't succeed.

But nonetheless makes Johnson look weak, ineffectual, and reliant on the Democrats.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

bob wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:25 am Although a bit wordy, this signals, for now, Greene's stunts won't succeed.

But nonetheless makes Johnson look weak, ineffectual, and reliant on the Democrats.
So, it reflects reality. :mrgreen:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Works for me!
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Greene vows to move ahead on Johnson ouster vote after Democrats promise to save him

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4632 ... press.coop
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) is vowing to move ahead with a vote to oust Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.), even after Democratic leaders said they would shield the Louisiana Republican from a conservative coup.

In a post on X shortly after the top three Democrats announced that they would vote to table a motion to vacate if Greene brought it to the floor — effectively saving Johnson’s job — Greene said she would bring it to the floor regardless.

The Georgia Republican filed her motion to vacate last month, but has not yet said when she plans to trigger a vote on it.

“If the Democrats want to elect him Speaker (and some Republicans want to support the Democrats’ chosen Speaker), I’ll give them the chance to do it,” Greene said. “I’m a big believer in recorded votes because putting Congress on record allows every American to see the truth and provides transparency to our votes.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Still working for me.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

https://x.com/RepMTG/status/1785323610942386593
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene🇺🇸 @RepMTG wrote: Everyday, I fight the Democrat agenda destroying America and I fight for an America First Republican agenda.

Mike Johnson is officially the Democrat Speaker of the House. Here is their official endorsement of his Speakership.

What slimy back room deal did Johnson make for the Democrats’ support?

He should resign, switch parties, and continue voting for Biden’s open border invasion of America, endless wars, full term abortion on demand, trans agenda on children, warrantless spying on the American people, weaponizing government against President Trump and his supporters, and every other Democrat wishlist item he’s handed over.

If the Democrats want to elect him Speaker (and some Republicans want to support the Democrats’ chosen Speaker), I’ll give them the chance to do it.

I’m a big believer in recorded votes because putting Congress on record allows every American to see the truth and provides transparency to our votes.

Americans deserve to see the Uniparty on full display. I’m about to give them their coming out party!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Democrats win a New York special election, further narrowing the House GOP's majority

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-e ... rcna149581
Democrats won a special election for a House seat in western New York Tuesday, The Associated Press projected, further shrinking the GOP's narrow majority in the chamber.

Democratic state Sen. Tim Kennedy defeated Republican town supervisor Gary Dickson in New York’s 26th District, a reliably blue area which includes Buffalo and some of the surrounding suburbs. Democrats will now control 213 seats in the House compared to 217 for the Republicans. Five seats remain vacant.

Kennedy will serve the remainder of Democratic Rep. Brian Higgins' term. The 10-term congressman resigned in February to run a local performing arts center, and he had some choice words for partisan gridlock in the House. Higgins told the Buffalo News late last year that Congress is “in a very, very bad place” and that “we’re at the beginning phases of a deterioration of the prestige of the institution.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

We also lost a Dem rep last week, as Donald Payne (NJ) died.

Wish he was still with us.

Not sure what the actual number is. Too also, various other special elections are in the works in the near future, I IIRC.
raison de arizona

Moskowitz and Stefanik, among other, have teamed up to offer this flaming piece of crap:
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/BIL ... 6090ih.pdf
https://holocaustremembrance.com/resour ... tisemitism

Things that would be prohibited include:
Drawing comparisons of contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis.
► Show Spoiler
June bug

Post by June bug »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:42 pm Moskowitz and Stefanik, among other, have teamed up to offer this flaming piece of crap:
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/BIL ... 6090ih.pdf
https://holocaustremembrance.com/resour ... tisemitism

Things that would be prohibited include:
Drawing comparisons of contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis.
► Show Spoiler
:clap: Excellent statement by Sara Jacobs in the spoiler. She represents a district neighboring mine. Unfortunately my Congressman, Mike Levin, voted for it. I generally like Mike, have worked for him and will vote for him, but he’s wrong on this one and Sara’s right.
raison de arizona

We all know, intuitively, that Mike Johnson is just pulling things regarding so-called "illegals" voting in federal elections straight out of his ass.
Aaron Reichlin-Melnick @ReichlinMelnick wrote: As a reminder, multiple state governments have engaged in large-scale efforts in recent years to find evidence of noncitizen voting, and in every single case haven't been able to find more than a tiny handful of cases, usually a few dozen or less, spread out over years.
Aaron Rupar @atrupar wrote: Speaker Mike Johnson: "We all know, intuitively, that a lot of illegals are voting in federal elections. But it's not been something that's easily provable. We don't have that number."

Sounds legit.
much ado

Post by much ado »

They have to believe there is some reason that Republicans can't seem to win elections all the time. It can't be their policies. It must be something else somewhere, somehow. It's very intuitive.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

We know that thousands of our rural citizens have been probed by space aliens. We just don't have that number.

ImageImageImage x4
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:48 pm We know that thousands of our rural citizens have been probed by space aliens. We just don't have that number.
Intuitively, we all know Johnson has sex with farm animals and the space aliens.
101010 :towel:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

northland10 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:52 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:48 pm We know that thousands of our rural citizens have been probed by space aliens. We just don't have that number.
Intuitively, we all know Johnson has sex with farm animals and the space aliens.
Cows, specifically.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Well, you have to admit that it is hard to resist blondes.

Hic sunt dracones
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

hahahahaha she's doing it

and she fails
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:02 pm We all know, intuitively, that Mike Johnson is just pulling things regarding so-called "illegals" voting in federal elections straight out of his ass.
Aaron Reichlin-Melnick @ReichlinMelnick wrote: As a reminder, multiple state governments have engaged in large-scale efforts in recent years to find evidence of noncitizen voting, and in every single case haven't been able to find more than a tiny handful of cases, usually a few dozen or less, spread out over years.
Aaron Rupar @atrupar wrote: Speaker Mike Johnson: "We all know, intuitively, that a lot of illegals are voting in federal elections. But it's not been something that's easily provable. We don't have that number."

Sounds legit.
These jerks (*) are the reason I am reminded constantly and not in a funny Mel Brooks parody song way that 'intuition' rhymes with 'inquisition'.

(*) - no relation to 'some jerk'.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Dr. Ken wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:57 pm and she fails
So now that it's failed, it's over until/unless she files a new motion, I hope?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
bob

Post by bob »

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:59 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:57 pm and she fails
So now that it's failed, it's over until/unless she files a new motion, I hope?
Sure, but only 11 Republicans voted not to kill it.

But she's not actually doing any of this to actually do anything.
Image ImageImage
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Her only interest is to provide Bullshit to her customers, namely the Media and Social media opinion makers/shouters.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

College anti-Israel agitators could be sent to Gaza under new House GOP bill
'I am going to bet that these pro-Hamas supporters wouldn’t last a day, but let’s give them the opportunity,' says Rep Randy Weber

A new House Republican bill would send any person charged and convicted for illegal activity on a college campus to Gaza for at least six months.
:snippity:
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/colleg ... e-gop-bill
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:53 pm
College anti-Israel agitators could be sent to Gaza under new House GOP bill
'I am going to bet that these pro-Hamas supporters wouldn’t last a day, but let’s give them the opportunity,' says Rep Randy Weber

A new House Republican bill would send any person charged and convicted for illegal activity on a college campus to Gaza for at least six months.
:snippity:
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/colleg ... e-gop-bill
Yeah yeah yeah. I remember the Vietnam protests very well. It's too bad most of this current crop of congressmen don't. I believe there was also a bill introduced that would subject anyone to who was caught burning their selective service card to the draft. Even if that person had already served their time in the military. It's too bad a congressperson isn't required to have a working knowledge of history.
Largo al factotum.

Return to “Current Politics”