Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

RVInit

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by RVInit »

Wow, cool time lapse of a microburst

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Wow1
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

We have Ana, a rare May named Atlantic storm.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

SPACE WEATHER ALERT:
https://phys.org/news/2021-05-solar-sto ... BzGXEdxYpg
A few days ago, millions of tons of super-heated gas shot off from the surface of the sun and hurtled 90 million miles toward Earth.

The eruption, called a coronal mass ejection, wasn't particularly powerful on the space-weather scale, but when it hit the Earth's magnetic field it triggered the strongest geomagnetic storm seen for years. There wasn't much disruption this time—few people probably even knew it happened—but it served as a reminder the sun has woken from a yearslong slumber.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Where is doomsday Sporky and Gavin on this? No grifting?

I a pretty sure this means that we need to toot Shofars at it and be ready for the world economy collapse.

Maybe I should panic like the last time I felt an earthquake. I sat up and wondered, what are the construction folks doing on Milwaukee Ave, then went back to my book.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/article/ap-top-news- ... 25242c4922
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — Several hundred people in New Zealand were evacuated from their homes Monday with some recounting dramatic helicopter rescues as heavy rain caused widespread flooding in the Canterbury region.

Authorities declared a state of emergency after some places received as much as 40 centimeters (16 inches) of rain over the weekend and into Monday. Forecasters warned of possible heavy rain through Monday evening before conditions improved.

The military helped evacuate more than 50 people including several overnight in an NH-90 military helicopter.

One man was clinging to a tree near the town of Darfield when he jumped into floodwaters and tried to swim to safety but was swept away, the military said.

Helicopter crews scoured the water for 30 minutes before finding the man and plucking him to safety. The military helicopter also rescued an elderly couple from the roof of their car.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I hope it dawned on them that they are lucky to be alive.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Holy F*ck!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

That doesn't look like any tornado I've ever seen. Why aren't the trees and roofs flying through the air? Why are those nitwits just standing there in front of the window, which isn't even bowing?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

The tornado is, I think, bigger & further away than it looks.

At the very beginning of the video, for an instant, you can see a bldg that looks to be quite a bit further than the neighboring house, and it's still in front of the tornado.

At the very end of the video, after the little cut/jump, you can see the actual funnel descending from the clouds.

I think the weird brown color is dirt and/or mud from an open field, maybe just planted or about to be.
Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... eat-fires/
Meteorological summer (June through August) began at 12 a.m. Tuesday, and already heat and wildfire concerns in the Golden State are ramping upward. Much of California’s Central Valley from Bakersfield to Redding is under an excessive heat warning, with temperatures in spots expected to spike over 105 degrees.

The combination of hot temperatures and low humidity will bring elevated wildfire concerns, jump-starting a season that’s already feared to be worse than normal. It comes amid an “extreme” to “exceptional” drought gripping much of the state in an era characterized by longer fire seasons and more extreme fire behavior.

Longer-range outlooks continue to favor a bull's eye of anomalous heat parked over the Four Corners region, supporting a prolonged and more severe fire season in the West.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Eating lunch at my favorite taco spot, I saw on the teevee that a bad storm in southern FL caused a lightening strike on Gator Alley (I-75 where it turns east from Naples to Ft. Lauderdale) and put a two foot chuckhole in the pavement.

No photos, tho.

Meanwhile, here on the SW part of the state, it's dryer than Arizona in July. Lots of brush fires, mostly because idiots think the earth is their ashtray.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topst ... ar-AAL20mm
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

National Hurricane Center
@NHC_Atlantic
The Tropical Weather outlook for 2p Monday is having trouble going out in some places. The Gulf system is now likely to become a tropical depression later this week. Heavy rainfall is the biggest threat now for C America/Mexico, then shifting to the northern Gulf Coast Friday.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Meanwhile, half the state of Mississippi is underwater, several thousand still without power after storms yesterday, and we're under our first heat advisory of the season.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Scary. :?
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

Just had a tornado warning/severe thunderstorm warning run through Dayton. We had ordered some food from the Dashing to Doors before the storms hit. The two kids (maybe 18?) that delivered the food while it was at the height of the storm, said they saw a funnel cloud by a mall a couple of miles away. I asked if they wanted to come into our basement, they said they would take shelter at the Meier a couple blocks away.

All is well in Casa de Jez. My roomies work for roofing companies, so they are going to be busy. Whereas, I work for a bank, so will be sleeping in tomorrow.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.theguardian.com

Thousands of spiders have created large webs after the Victoria floods in an attempt to reach higher ground

Residents in eastern Victoria have been taken aback after waking up to vast, alien-like sheets of spider webs laying across paddocks and roadsides.

The East Gippsland town of Traralgon was one of the hardest-hit areas by recent flooding and wild weather. While its neighbour Sale avoided the brunt of the damage, flooded roads and paddocks disrupted the local spider populations, which are now seeking higher ground on road signs, trees and any tall grass they can find.

“It’s just incredible, when they blow in the winds they look like waves,” said Jena Beatson, who saw the spiders on her first trip into Sale from Longford after the roads were cut off by flood waters.

“It does look creepy the way it covers all the signs and everything. You can’t really see it in the photos but there are spiders all over. It’s like thousands and thousands of spiders.”

Actually, according to Dr Ken Walker, a senior curator of entomology at the Melbourne Museum, it is millions.

“It’s a semi-regular occurrence in Victoria in wintertime when we get most of our rain. Spiders can make a wide range of different silks and one of the silks they use for this behaviour – ballooning – it’s a very, very thin little silk that they use … to fly away with the breeze. They could fly 100km,” he said.

“What’s happened is there’s been a massive flooding event pretty quickly … so they’re using the ballooning not to escape for hundreds of kilometres but to almost throw up a lasso on top of the vegetation. It hooks on to the tops of the vegetation because it’s lighter than air, and then they quickly climb up.”

This phenomenon, sometimes called the gossamer effect, is caused by “vagrant hunter” spider species, which live on the ground and do not build a web. They also do not create webs after ballooning away from a flood. In fact, Walker said, each spider only threw up a single thread, meaning every tiny line of silk represented a different animal.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Victoria now has 2 things I don't like.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Lucky me. No structural damage. Just a lot of big limbs down and a real mess. Also lucky me, a quote for $75 to chainsaw up and stack. The entire three block swath for five blocks going west to east were torn up. Neighbor has a tree on his car, as do several neighbors. I'll get an additional estimate to trim up my beautiful Ssugar Maple when the dudes get here.
Attachments
194953389_4376951718984037_2701492589344306307_n.jpg
194953389_4376951718984037_2701492589344306307_n.jpg (352.08 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Glad you and the abode are unharmed. The southern burbs of Chicago up here got hit hard last night. One had an EF2 tornado. I am in the far north burbs so I only heard some lightning.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Oh my! Glad you're all safe.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4

Return to “General Stuff”