What are you watching?

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Rolodex wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:54 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:16 am
Rolodex wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:10 pm Ok someone else needs to be traumatized with me. Just finished Baby Reindeer.

I HAD NO IDEA.

I posts about how good it was and finished something else up so I though why not. I don't normally watch stuff that has "comedy" in the description but hoo boy. what a ride
Loved it! There was nothing comedic about this. It was dark, dark, dark, dark, dark - and I love me some dark. It was like an onion - every time you think you understand the protagonist, a little bit more of him is revealed.
Exactly! I love dark, too but I'm so glad I really knew nothing about it. I pretty much binged it and maybe that was too intense.
► Show Spoiler
Okay. One word - Wow (with a hundred exclamation points after that) (at least six)

This is worthy of a book club kind of discussion after watching it. It is absolutely something to talk about. It hits on a lot of levels. And the fact it's true proves the adage that life is better than fiction.

It's a quick easy binge in six parts a half hour each or so. Jump in. Give it a go.
► Show Spoiler
Rolodex

What are you watching?

Post by Rolodex »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 pm A Gentleman in Moscow on Paramount +. I absolutely loved this book, and the series (so far) is incredibly faithful and so well-done.
I love that book, too. I'm waiting for all the episodes to drop before watching. I've become a real baby about having to wait a week between episodes!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
bill_g

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Rolodex wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:34 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 pm A Gentleman in Moscow on Paramount +. I absolutely loved this book, and the series (so far) is incredibly faithful and so well-done.
I love that book, too. I'm waiting for all the episodes to drop before watching. I've become a real baby about having to wait a week between episodes!
Both Paramount and Amazon want to make streaming like the old days of antenna TV. They want the audience returning on a regular basis so they won't miss an episode in hopes they'll stick around for another show. If they pull an AMC or FX stunt where they delay putting an episode it up for On Demand for several weeks to exclude whomever dares not watch it at the network scheduled premiere, I'll drop them quickly. Ugh.
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

Watched Baby Reindeer last night and this afternoon. What a ride!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

What are you watching?

Post by Maybenaut »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:25 pm Watched Baby Reindeer last night and this afternoon. What a ride!
I talked to my husband about it. He has a hard time with stuff like this. He asked if I would watch it again. He wanted to see it. I warned him that it was disturbing. He made it through three episodes, then was like, OK, just tell me what happened.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Rolodex

What are you watching?

Post by Rolodex »

Maybenaut wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:36 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:25 pm Watched Baby Reindeer last night and this afternoon. What a ride!
I talked to my husband about it. He has a hard time with stuff like this. He asked if I would watch it again. He wanted to see it. I warned him that it was disturbing. He made it through three episodes, then was like, OK, just tell me what happened.
I get that. But it's hard to explain. The narrative of the story (which could all be learned in the "viral video) doesn't really get into the psychological aspects and contradictions.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
sugar magnolia

What are you watching?

Post by sugar magnolia »

The alleged "real life" stalker says she's the real victim.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235885429/
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

:crazy: i made it through all episodes of Baby Reindeer. I think i need a Martha in my life. That is probably what I have been missing out on.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

What are you watching?

Post by Maybenaut »

Rolodex wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:46 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:36 pm
I get that. But it's hard to explain. The narrative of the story (which could all be learned in the "viral video) doesn't really get into the psychological aspects and contradictions.
Regrettably, I was able to explain it using people we know as examples.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
bill_g

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:07 pm The alleged "real life" stalker says she's the real victim.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235885429/
Ugh. I did not see that one coming! (not)

This is a totally Martha thing to do, and almost an expected outcome. In the "making of" he explained it was developed as a stage production first before becoming a TV script. One would hope the legal department did their due diligence. While it was small, and very indy, few people saw it, and those that did were aware of the subject matter before attending. But, as soon as it hit a larger audience, and became successful, that's when the knives come out.

It may turn out this story is well crafted utter bullshit, that none of it is true in any sense, and we were fooled into caring. That could cost the author. Here's to hoping we didn't hang our hearts on a liar.

ETA: baby reindeer was a topic last night at dinner. Several of us have seen it, and my idea this is a good book club discussion was correct. It affected all of us. Very well done.
Dr. Ken

What are you watching?

Post by Dr. Ken »

A Man in Full based on the Tom Wolfe novel.

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
bill_g

What are you watching?

Post by bill_g »

Dr. Ken wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:38 pm A Man in Full based on the Tom Wolfe novel.

Are you liking it? Rotten Tomatoes gave it a green splat.
Dr. Ken

What are you watching?

Post by Dr. Ken »

bill_g wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:41 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:38 pm A Man in Full based on the Tom Wolfe novel.

Are you liking it? Rotten Tomatoes gave it a green splat.
I'm liking it. He's always good in his serious roles.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
John Thomas8

What are you watching?

Post by John Thomas8 »

Apparently "yard rescue" is a thing, and there's multiple folks on YouTube posting their work. Spencer has 2+ million subs and many many of his videos (1 hour plus long) have a million+ views.

In this one, he cleans up a yard and rescues an injured cat (cat starts at 10:47):

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”