Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Wait, Pecker is still up?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Bragg Manhattan DA charges tfg? Hush money. tfg “INDICATED!”

Post by Slim Cognito »

These jokes are never going to get old.
:rotflmao:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Shad Riley sent the 4/23 transcript to Matt Cameron via a google drive. I've asked Matt to post it on twitter.
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

chancery wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:50 pm
Shad Riley sent the 4/23 transcript to Matt Cameron via a google drive. I've asked Matt to post it on twitter.
Shad Riley posted a link in this tweet but, unlike the first one he posted (4/22), this time the doc on google drive does not look to be public (access set to anyone with link).

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

before going to his trial on Wednesday djt made an interview at T tower, filled with his usual falsehoods, bur also seemed to cross the lines per gag order.

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

bob wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:19 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:06 pm This is incomprehensible to me. How does appellate counsel challenge something on appeal if the arguments of counsel and the comments of the judge are not memorialized?
If there's a chance to correct/augment the record, appellate counsel may be able to marshal a better "recollection" of what occurred at sidebar than what actually occurred at sidebar. Even if there's isn't correction/augmentation, appellate counsel could pitch an inference of what was said (even if it actually wasn't).

Whereas if the transcribed sidebar shows trial counsel whiffing, appellate counsel can only make so much lemonade (on appeal; the whiffing may be fodder for IAC).
I understand the risk to the defense of having a transcribed sidebar. But if it’s not transcribed and the defense wants to complain about something on appeal, the government would likely be screaming about waiver.

I just don’t understand how untranscribed sidebars in criminal trials where issues are decided affecting the rights of the defendant comports with the Fifth Amendment right to due process and the Sixth Amendment right to a public trial. I’m sure people smarter and more experienced than I am have thought all of this through, but it strikes me as fundamentally unfair.

As I’ve mentioned, we didn’t have this in the military - they’d send the jury out and talk about the issue in open court. That’s why this strikes me as so strange.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:o
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

andersweinstein wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:55 pm Shad Riley posted a link in this tweet but, unlike the first one he posted (4/22), this time the doc on google drive does not look to be public …
now fixed, 4/23 transcript available at link in above tweet:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w2_Ik0eBcH1pcJYpLblgg02e8WhfKP7X/view
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I think Weare all looking forward to the defence gotcha question

"Sir, are you aware that your name is a slang term for a Penis." *sound of sniggering from the defendant, dead silence from the rest of the court*
Hic sunt dracones
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

Suranis wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:23 am I think Weare all looking forward to the defence gotcha question

"Sir, are you aware that your name is a slang term for a Penis." *sound of sniggering from the defendant, dead silence from the rest of the court*
Response......

"Sir are you aware that the appropriate term for a Trump lawyer is a cretinous dickhead and the collective term is a "Cluster feck"..?"
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1783497037410922504
erica orden
@eorden
Prosecutors argue that Trump violated the gag order four more times, including this morning https://politico.com/live-updates/2024/ ... r-00154305 via
@politico
In his courthouse remarks, Conroy said, Trump has continued to attack his former lawyer Michael Cohen, who is set to testify. Conroy also said Trump made remarks at his event about former National Enquirer publisher David Pecker, who is now testifying in the criminal trial. “He’s been very nice,” Trump said, according to Conroy. “David’s been very nice, a nice guy.”

Conroy told the judge: “This is a message to Pecker: Be nice. It’s a message to others: I have a platform and I can talk about you and I can say things like this, or I can say things like I said about Cohen.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I heard a suggestion (I think Neil Katayal) on MSNBC the other day who suggested the judge should give him a jail sentence, suspended until after the trial. I've since seen a few others propose this. A decision would be made later about whether to enforce it or not.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:53 am I heard a suggestion (I think Neil Katayal) on MSNBC the other day who suggested the judge should give him a jail sentence, suspended until after the trial. I've since seen a few others propose this. A decision would be made later about whether to enforce it or not.
To me 30 days house arrest in the NY building that he's so proud of would suffice. Jail would be making a martyr of him.
Largo al factotum.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

zekeb wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:08 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:53 am I heard a suggestion (I think Neil Katayal) on MSNBC the other day who suggested the judge should give him a jail sentence, suspended until after the trial. I've since seen a few others propose this. A decision would be made later about whether to enforce it or not.
To me 30 days house arrest in the NY building that he's so proud of would suffice. Jail would be making a martyr of him.
The whole point of it is to make him stop saying and posting this crap. I don't think that would do it.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

zekeb wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:08 pm
I agree. Sending him to Rikers would make him a martyr. I have also read there are other facilities in NYC that are not exactly jails that could house him.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Or confine him with an ankle bracelet and forbid using the internet.

He'll complain that he can't campaign, but other people on home confinement can't go to their jobs, either. A salesman can't make sales calls in person. A waitress can't wait tables at a restaurant.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Something interesting and new to me anyway is that Pecker started getting cold feet on paying directly for the catch and kills after he spoke with a campaign attorney when the Karen McDougal payoff came up. He was probably told that he was getting into dangerous territory with the campaign finance laws. So when Stormy Daniels came on Pecker's radar Cohen had to handle it directly with the loans and shell company on behalf of Trump.
raison de arizona

Reality Check wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:48 pm Something interesting and new to me anyway is that Pecker started getting cold feet on paying directly for the catch and kills after he spoke with a campaign attorney when the Karen McDougal payoff came up. He was probably told that he was getting into dangerous territory with the campaign finance laws. So when Stormy Daniels came on Pecker's radar Cohen had to handle it directly with the loans and shell company on behalf of Trump.
Gee, they sure went to a lot of trouble to hide what they were doing iffn' they weren't doing wrong.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:03 pm Gee, they sure went to a lot of trouble to hide what they were doing iffn' they weren't doing wrong.
That's only because they knew that evil lefties, antifa and other bogeymen would misrepresent their perfectly legal and honest corruption bribery election interference generosity as illicit behavior by malicious actors.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Rolodex wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:31 pm Or confine him with an ankle bracelet and forbid using the internet.

He'll complain that he can't campaign, but other people on home confinement can't go to their jobs, either. A salesman can't make sales calls in person. A waitress can't wait tables at a restaurant.
House arrest with an ankle monitor usually allows for jobs, doctor appointments, church, etc. It doesn't mean they literally can't leave the house.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
"We committed a campaign violation": Pecker says he was worried after receiving letters from the FEC
Pecker recalled a conversation that he and Cohen had about letters from the Federal Election Commission in 2018.

Pecker said, "We committed a campaign violation."

He testified that he was worried, but Cohen said he was not, telling Pecker: "Jeff Sessions is the attorney general and Donald Trump has him in his pocket."
raison de arizona

But, but...it was just a private personal business matter, routine. Of course.
https://x.com/kaitlancollins/status/1783569382448247210
Kaitlan Collins @kaitlancollins wrote: Umm. David Pecker testifies that he had a joint call with Hope Hicks and Sarah Huckabee Sanders — taxpayer funded WH officials, at the time — about whether Karen McDougal’s contract should be extended. "Both of them said that they thought it was a good idea," Pecker said.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Rolodex wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:31 pm Or confine him with an ankle bracelet and forbid using the internet.

Sounds like a good idea, until one remembers that he regularly ignores court orders to STFU completely.

The only way to stop him is to put him in a position where it is physically impossible for him to continue: i.e. jail.

One risk of jailing him that I can see? If the judge were to jail him, his lawyers would be at the appeals court before the ink was dry on the order, asking that the contempt citation be vacated. If that were to happen, any slight inhibitions that the Mango Mussolini might have about attacking judges, witnesses or their families would completely disappear. He would attack with more vigor than ever. He would take such a ruling as a complete vindication and a license to attack at will.

All that being said, I don't think that the judge should capitulate to TFG, for fear that it would make him a martyr or that he might redouble his attacks. Someone must stand up to him.
raison de arizona

*yawn* wake me up when they hit the tenth set.
https://x.com/lawofruby/status/1783595548970197439
Lisa Rubin @lawofruby wrote: NEW: Set your calendars for Wednesday at 2:15 p.m., when Judge Merchan will hold a hearing on the Manhattan DA's third set of alleged gag order violations, including through Trump's visit with construction workers at the new J.P. Morgan Chase building before court today.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I wonder just how much Merchan and others also seriously worry about flat out being attacked or killed by a follower of the stochastic terrorist.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”